Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

My Amazing Experience With Daisy Import Auto Care in Woodbine, MD

Old 11-07-2016, 02:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My AP1 with 112k really needs some love, and this sounds like the perfect place to take it.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Give Ben a call he will take care of you! Just be patient and don't expect instant turn around.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I too want to do a follow up post, and not on my S2000 this time.

My wife's 2009 Mazda 6 is a great driving/handling car for what it is. She chose it specifically for handling after hating Camry/Accord/Sonata/Caliber and other test drives. This is a pretty inexpensive car ($20K) with 1/3 content from each of Japan (drivetrain), Mexico (interior I recall) and the US. The brake calipers for instance are stamped FoMoCo so you know they are generic off the shelf low-end Ford crap. I've been changing her oil for 75,000 miles regularly and started doing brakes with the fronts at 20K, rears at 35K and fronts again, then they started to get weird, then caliper boots tore for no reason and soon it was dragging brakes randomly, e-brake barely working, burning up new pads and rotors and became a nightmare. Next the exhaust system started leaking at the muffler and was rotted out. I didn't have time to do it all so convinced her to let me take it to Daisy and Ben's crew.

Upon arrival, Ben is like a great dentist with his pick not needing anything but when he "catches" on something, you know you are getting drilled and a filling! With Ben it was his flashlight and in a matter of minutes identified a leaking valve cover gasket (known issue) soon to be on manifolds, bad bearing(s) in idler and pulley and near failed serpentine belt among other items. After a day of evaluation and literally an hour or more of Ben's time, he determined there were no viable aftermarket exhaust parts for the car due to Mazda making so many running changes on the "new" 2009 model back then and also that the outrageously expensive OEM Mazda exhaust parts were not even available for five months (thanks for the customer support Mazda).

In the end, they fixed everything I listed, found and used better than OEM coated calipers, rotors and ceramic pads with flush and now brakes that were never as good and should be reliable. He replaced a busted fender liner, gasket, belt and toasted bearing parts. After we discussed it, he sent the car out to a known friendly reputable exhaust shop where an entire Cat-Back custom designed, custom bent and hung exhaust (changed style) was created and targeted better flow, more power across the band, and a nice little growl. It was $775 but the OEM muffler was $550 and the pipe in front of it to the cat was $400-something so better than that option. Picked up the car and once again, as usual, everything was perfect, the estimate was very accurate (under a 10% off discrepancy, in spite of a ton of unknowns at the time of the estimate). It was $2700+ overall and I know that he did my wife a huge favor, went above and beyond just fixing her car and made it better than when new. Hopefully we are looking at another 75K miles or more which is so valuable for a retired woman on a fixed income.

Once again, it is impossible to relate just how good this shop is, how talented and dedicated the staff is and the great quality of work for a fair price. You don't find that very often with car repair.
100% recommended, A+++ shop.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:02 PM

If it's alright, I wanted to add my story here and other places of my experience with Ben and Daisy Import. A lot of this will just be my story of how I eventually got there, but I feel like telling someone!

So a year and a half ago I bought a 2015 Focus ST brand new, and my intention was to put my S2000 back to stock, sell off the parts, and sell the car. What ended up happening, however, was the S2000 ending up sitting for almost the entire year and a half I had the ST, and I drove it around the block on average every 2 weeks. Now, I would have driven the S2000 more, but I knew there were a few things wrong with her, but I couldn't quite put my finger on exactly what things. I always had an inner debate with diving in and doing the work myself, or taking it somewhere and having the pros take a look at it. Anyway, what ended up happening, like I said, is nothing really ever got done for a variety of reasons and the car sat.

About 2 months ago I got in an accident with the ST. Someone who wasn't paying much mind to driving, hit me in my rear, driver side quarter panel and spun me around. The hit was significant enough to total the ST. So I'm back to the S2000 being my only car.

So I drove it a few days, and I noticed that 2 of my brake calipers were seized. Then I did an oil change, and over-torqued the drain bolt and royally messed up the oil pan. I bought all new calipers, rotors, and pads, and was going to install them over thanksgiving, but then I sliced my finger open, and that was off the tablet. So then I was going to take the car to a very local, and reputable (but not special) shop. But they refused to work with customer supplied parts, so I said forget that.

So FINALLY I called Ben because of this very thread, to ask what kind of availability he had. He asked, well depends what you need. So I let him know the two issues I had. He said to just get the car there. He helped me set up an affordable tow, and I got the car to the shop the next morning. That afternoon he calls me back and he said something like this: "So the car arrived today, and I did a PPI. You know S2000s have been going up in value lately, right? But first, let me ask you this. Do you intend on driving and using this car for the foreseeable future?" Well, the ST getting somehow totaled got me excited about my S2000 again, and like everyone always says when they leave the community: "you'll be back." I'm back. I replied to Ben "Yes, very much." Ben listed a significant number of maintenance items that he recommended getting done, and I agreed. He ordered the parts, and got started with the work later that week. Like it's been said, be patient. Ben is not going to bullshit you though, and he's not going to float your money. Every time he called me, or I called him we chit chatted a bit. He's personable, but neurotic, in the kind of way a crazy genius is! As a sports car owner, most mechanics and shops fill me with dread, but Ben had the opposite effect. His philosophy is so agreeable, and he fills you with so much confidence.

I've got the car back now. Ben actually stayed a few minutes late to wait for me to arrive when I picked up the car. It's running great. I HIGHLY recommend Ben and his shop, and I know I'll be back. It's a huge plus that I only live about 20 miles away.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:01 AM

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad everyone is having such great experiences with Ben & his team! He's a really great guy & deserves all the work our community can send his way. He loves these cars & wants to see em on the road & running as they're intended.

A month or so back Ben ran some tests on my S & found I had some pretty catastrophic engine issues. I'm currently doing a full rebuild & waiting patiently. I know my baby is in good hands with him & again I'm really happy to see others giving his shop a try & gaining an appreciation for just how great his work is!

In addition to my S being under the knife he recently had my 91 Civic hatch as well for some mysterious problems. He'd stay late to get things done, he'd keep me in the loop with updates & would always go above & beyond.

Continue to spread the word, guys!
Old 08-27-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had a host of work done by Ben at Daisy Auto on my new-to-me car, couldn't have been happier. Since I had no service history on the car, I decided to get all the maintenance back to "zero".

Changed coolant, engine oil, transmission, diff, clutch, and brake fluids. Replaced water pump, thermostat, TCT, clutch master cylinder (was leaking), and brake pads/rotors (low thickness). He also did a valve adjustment and got everything back to spec.

Got me great prices on the parts and labor, and was really helpful walking be through everything. I even dropped off my wife's Civic for a 120k service, and he went over the Civic in the same attention to detail he looks at NSXs and our S2000s. If you're in the area, I absolutely recommend having Ben look after your cars.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:38 AM

I agree with OP on the Daisy Import review !
Thank .you extremely helpful!
I've worked in the auto business since 1980 mostly in the service or parts areas . The first time I walked in to Daisy I knew I was home .
Ben , Cliff , and the guys are great people ! Since that first visit I've been back to have the valve retainer/keepers updated along with other updates .
There is not another shop I would trust my S to !!!
Old 05-09-2018, 02:51 PM

Default Thank you

Thank you for the great tip!
Old 05-30-2019, 01:45 PM

I purchased my S about 6 months ago, and at a tip from a forum member took the S to Ben. He looked the car over completely, did his "OCD" valve check and found two tight valves and replaced some questionable spark plugs, serviced the brakes (which other mechanic makes a big deal about lubricating the brake pad brackets?), and installed 4 tires with an alignment. He looked the rest of the car over and found no issues. I have no doubt the work was done perfectly. Ben also chats a bit, which shows his passion and knowledge for the cars, and his commitment to performing high quality, honest, and fairly-priced work. It's worth looking around -- the shop is full of interesting cars, including the NSXs and S2000s.

After that experience, I've dropped off my just-purchased 1997 Lexus SC300 for its mushy brakes and deferred maintenance. Ben gave it a thorough inspection and he called me with an estimate. He had found the two rear struts were leaking and suggested replacing them with aftermarket KYB's, and when I asked about an upgraded suspension he sourced a new set of Tein coilovers for remarkably cheap while I was on the phone. When I asked about cheaper solutions (a drain-and-fill of the auto tranny vs. a full flush), Ben talked me out of it -- he sticks to doing things correctly.

Daisy Auto is an hour away from where I live and inconvenient to get to/from without a car, but it's absolutely worth the trip and $50-60 for a ride-share when dropping off/picking up the car (each way). Shady Grove is the nearest metro and about a $30-40 ride away. Uber and Lyft have generally been available though wait times can be 10-20 minutes.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:26 PM

Good to know. Will definitely hit Ben up for any work.

Thanks!