New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

July 18 & 19 - S2000's at Watkins Glen with SCDA

Old 03-24-2016, 05:46 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts
Default July 18 & 19 - S2000's at Watkins Glen with SCDA

SCDA is conducting a track day at Watkins Glen on July 18th and 19th, 2016. S2000 owners are invited back and we are being offered a 10% discount yet again.

THIS EVENT WILL UTILIZE THE REPAVED FULL COURSE INCLUDING THE AREA OF THE BOOT

Here is a video of Elivan from SCDA driving the long course in the #59 S2000
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Uer9wSwnjM

Here is a link to the 2015 Event Thread when we ran the short course

2014 Event pics and videos can be seen starting at this link and forwards

Click here for pics and videos from the 2013 event when we had 11 S2000s on track

Featured Marque for the event is Chevrolet again, and SCDA has decided to extend an offer to us S2000 owners yet again..

- SCDA will provide a discount on the 1 day event only for S2000 owners. Regular price is $365. Signing up as part of the group, the price is $328.50. No early-bird discount is available if signing up directly for one day only.
- SCDA will also provide a discount for those signing up for 2 days. Regular price is $695. With the discount it will be $625.50
- Two hours of track time per day (four 30 minute sessions) provided conditions allow for it
- Classroom instruction for Novice and Intermediate drivers.
- In-car instruction for all rookie participants and others in the Novice class
- SCDA FAQ can be found by clicking on this link

SCDA is offering early-bird pricing on the two-day event only at this time. However the deadline for that will be sooner than if you decide to go with the group. Going with the group, you have the benefit of an extended deadline by when you can pay and also receive the 10% discount.

SO HERE IS HOW YOU SIGN UP:
- SCDA has issued a Coupon Code for our group. Unlike in past years where you sent me the money, this year you will be signing up and registering online and paying SCDA direct.
- In order to get the coupon code, please send a PM to me with your email address (if I don't already have it), and include information about
1. Your Name (First & Last)
2. Email Address
3. Phone Number
- As soon as I receive a PM from you, I will send you the code using which you can sign up. Go to the SCDA Website and select the TWO DAY or the SPECIFIC ONE DAY you plan to attend and register with the code.
- Once you have signed up please post in this thread and let me know. So that way, I can build a list of people to plan dinner and any other social activities for us while over there.
- DEADLINE IS JUNE 30th. If you receive the code and you haven't registered by June 30th, then you will have to pay full price to get in, assuming there are spots available. ALSO KEEP IN MIND, if you are signing up as a Novice, then the sooner you sign up the better for you. Novice is usually the fastest category to fill-up.

Also note Garages WON'T be available for rent. We will have to paddock in the media center lot.

The following is SCDA's Cancellation Policy and my obligatory disclaimer follows at the end of it.

Cancellation Policy: All SCDA events are offered on a first come, first served basis. Our events run rain or shine. There will be a $25 processing fee for any entry that is refunded. Cancellations within two weeks of the event date forfeit half the total amount. No shows on the day of the event, as well as cancellations within one week of the event date forfeit the total amount. No refunds will be issued, and events are not transferable.

PLEASE NOTE: I am in no way affiliated with SCDA nor am I the recipient of any cash or reward from them. I am just a track day enthusiast that would like to see a big group of S2000s hitting the track.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:12 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Guest List:
- Bugsy
- Foulone
- HarryWho
Old 03-25-2016, 06:08 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

No garages and deadline for signup is June 30th.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:37 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Of course, I'll be signing up shortly as I look forward to the opportunity to bunk down with our Dear Leader.

Now some people like the social aspect of this event. Me, not so much.

Here was my take on the social aspects of this event.

The "social aspect" of the track days is way too much for me. It's almost reason enough to stay home with Disgruntled. Or go to work.

First issue is that I bunk with our Dear Leader.

He gabs like a teen-aged girl until 1:30 in the morning. Then his alarm is the Fire Department going through Times Square on an 8 alarm call and I have to peel myself off of the ceiling. I'm sleep deprived and my nerves are shot after that. How can I drive when my hands are shaking so?

So I complain and he changed the alarm. Now a little tinkle wind chime. That doesn't wake him up, and it doesn't wake me up and we slumber on. But the tinkle gets into my sleep, and I'm soon dreaming that I'm meditating on some Hindi mountaintop, looking over a watery pool, engulfed in a gentle mist, while rose pedals are being sprinkled about me by nymphs wearing sheer chiffon. When it starts to get erotic I finally open an eye hoping to pull one of those girls to my breast. And by then I'm saying "to hell with the track, I'm going back to sleep" and then I miss Mark's breakfast meet.

"What good is that?" I say.

Second issue is that you can't control the heavy furniture in the paddock.

You see a car in the paddock and you walk across and put out a hand to say "howdy do". You have no idea who that guy is. Next thing you know he's attached himself to you or your group, and you can't get rid of him no matter how many subtle point-byes you give. And surely, you can't expect a point by from him, so you can never get away. Year after year this happens.

It took a while to dawn on me, but now I understand why Greg had that "deer in the headlights" look in his eyes the first time Mark & I pulled up and parked next to him. He was afraid of "the social aspect" of us - fully justified in my case I might point out.

So what am I supposed to do? A slow burn the whole time? That's what got Disgruntled started down his rabbit hole of depression and drugs, a route I want to avoid.

The only relief from the "social aspect" is when NoDelta's friend, John comes. Despite his Corvette and his English accent, he wants to be one of us - driving a nimble S2000 and dicing with the Miatas. If I have to deal with the social aspect, I think he should be eligible for the 10% discount offered to the group!

But of course, John's driving a Corvette, so he doesn't even need us. He gets his own discount!
Old 03-25-2016, 07:26 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

As far as I know John Greenland plans to be there this year. It should be a grand time as always
Old 03-25-2016, 09:27 AM
Community Organizer

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

This was a really great time last year, i'd like to make it back out but it won't be the same without Greg. I may be able to get out to this again, idk right now
Old 03-25-2016, 12:30 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I did this event back in 2010 with my Dodge Neon and it was only my 2nd event ever. I had a blast but the car broke on day one. I spoke with Ian and he said come to the next event at Monticello and I will give a few extra laps.

What I got was far more - I brought my Honda S2000 and my Neon and I got to run the Neon in the Novice group and the S2000 in the Int 1 group. After that day of running with SCDA and running Solo I was hooked.

I have not missed a SCDA event at WG since 2010 and back then SCDA went to WG in May and July (twice a year). Those were some fun times, in 2010 I went to Monticello 7 times, WG 1, NHMS 1, Lightening, Thunderbolt 1 and LRP 3 times !.

Bringing home the Neon
[attachment=92794:wg5.jpg]

First time on track with the S2000 at MMC
[attachment=92795:monticello_kevin_greg1.jpg]

Check out the bra on the s2000 and taped head lights
[attachment=92800:mmc2.jpg]

Watkins in my Neon with Kevin Belden driving
[attachment=92796:wg3.jpg]

[attachment=92799:wg4.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails July 18 & 19 - S2000's at Watkins Glen with SCDA-wg5.jpg   July 18 & 19 - S2000's at Watkins Glen with SCDA-monticello_kevin_greg1.jpg   July 18 & 19 - S2000's at Watkins Glen with SCDA-wg3.jpg   July 18 & 19 - S2000's at Watkins Glen with SCDA-mmc3.jpg   July 18 & 19 - S2000's at Watkins Glen with SCDA-wg3.jpg  

July 18 & 19 - S2000's at Watkins Glen with SCDA-wg4.jpg   July 18 & 19 - S2000's at Watkins Glen with SCDA-mmc2.jpg  
Old 03-25-2016, 12:40 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

So Greg that means you and Lisa will be there again this year won't you?

As Jake said it won't be fun without you and Lisa. I'm also hoping Paul and Anne can make a trip up as long as I'm in a wishful mood
Old 03-25-2016, 04:19 PM

time will tell.............
Old 03-25-2016, 04:19 PM

I got the #59 back from Quantum last night, the work was top notch as always !!.

Racked up over 40 hrs of shop, dyno and fabrication time.

Next up will be off to Flatout for corner balance, alignment and a few odds and ends.

First track day may be 4/4, but mostly likely be 4/12.

Quick Reply: July 18 & 19 - S2000's at Watkins Glen with SCDA