S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Can an oil cooler effect oil pressure? Low(er) oil pressure issue

Old 01-19-2017, 12:09 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Something doesn't sound right.. So cruising on the highway ~4k rpms you see 60+ but under load/vtec it drops to 40psi? You shouldn't have such a big drop under load.

Also, like others said, 250 is nothing. Heck, even short trips to 280 on occasional highway pulls wouldn't be a cause for concern.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:18 PM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K-F8
Glad I can amuse you......are these temps not high enough to worry about?
No they are not. No street/weekend driver needs an oil cooler. I'm telling this to you as a guy that tracks his turbo S2000 with oil temps north of 280F.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Something doesn't sound right.. So cruising on the highway ~4k rpms you see 60+ but under load/vtec it drops to 40psi? You shouldn't have such a big drop under load.

Also, like others said, 250 is nothing. Heck, even short trips to 280 on occasional highway pulls wouldn't be a cause for concern.
Well that's good to hear! I thought 250 was getting pretty hot....I'll just keep an eye on it and not worry about it now, thanks!

Maybe I didn't explain well....when I mash the throttle and car hits the vtec crossover point, the oil pressure drops for a sec then comes back up. I assume this is normal, but my concern was that the pressure was too low

The only variable was switching from one type of oil cooler to the other
Old 01-19-2017, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by King Tut
No they are not. No street/weekend driver needs an oil cooler. I'm telling this to you as a guy that tracks his turbo S2000 with oil temps north of 280F.
Awesome...thanks for the info!
Old 01-19-2017, 12:31 PM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I was seeing 235 after hard pulls....even up to 240-250 on occasion. I run Amsoil dominator racing oil, so I think the oil can handle those temps....just worried me a bit. Now I haven't seen anything over 220, and oil temps def recover faster
You do know that oil needs to exceed 212f in order to burn off moisture that gets in it from condensation overnight. 240-250 is a nice oil temp. When you start to worry is when you start seeing it near 300f. That's shut it down time. I ran a Z06 at sebring 2 years ago with a big oil cooler and I would see 310f in 1 hard lap.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by SlowTeg

I agree, you've got a flow issue. I swapped to a dry sump on my old motor and saw Oil pressure dropping in vtec to 40ish, It was only a matter of min from seeing that the motor promptly put a nice hole in the block. You've got a flow restriction of sorts if your seeing that.

Last edited by Mrsideways; 01-19-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mrsideways
I agree, you've got a flow issue. I swapped to a dry sump on my old motor and saw Oil pressure dropping in vtec to 40ish, It was only a matter of min from seeing that the motor promptly put a nice hole in the block. You've got a flow restriction of sorts if your seeing that.
Any ideas on where I should start troubleshooting?
Old 01-19-2017, 12:53 PM

Any ideas on where I should start troubleshooting?
Start trouleshooting at what changed, send an oil sample to blackstone to see if there is high levels of bearing material. Disconnect oil cooler at radiator and loop the lines and see if anything changes, if it doesn't then remove sandwich plate and see if anything changes. If nothing changes then it's in the motor and you've gotta wait for the oil sample to come back (take like 2 weeks) to see if they see anything. If the oil sample comes back fine and nothing changed with the cooler removed completely then I wouldn't worry. But I have a feeling doing one of those 3 things will give you an answer.

The Beauty is looping the lines just mean buying a male to male AN fitting from summit so that's easy, and the blackstone sample is like $30 so that's cheap. so your not spending a bunch of money to try this stuff.

Last edited by Mrsideways; 01-19-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mrsideways
Start trouleshooting at what changed, send an oil sample to blackstone to see if there is high levels of bearing material. Disconnect oil cooler at radiator and loop the lines and see if anything changes, if it doesn't then remove sandwich plate and see if anything changes. If nothing changes then it's in the motor and you've gotta wait for the oil sample to come back (take like 2 weeks) to see if they see anything. If the oil sample comes back fine and nothing changed with the cooler removed completely then I wouldn't worry. But I have a feeling doing one of those 3 things will give you an answer.

The Beauty is looping the lines just mean buying a male to male AN fitting from summit so that's easy, and the blackstone sample is like $30 so that's cheap. so your not spending a bunch of money to try this stuff.
Much appreciated....my car is in hibernation until April/May so I'll have some time to try and figure things out
Old 01-19-2017, 01:42 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I posted this in the FI section (as that's where I normally hang out), but a fellow member suggested that I post up here for more info....

I recently switched my oil cooler setup. I ditched my Setrab oil cooler in favor of the Jackson Racing radiator/oil cooler combo, now I'm seeing lower oil pressure than before.

Cold start oil pressure is ~60psi
Warm idle pressure is 18-22psi
Both of those readings seem normal/good to me. Where I'm seeing a difference is cruising and under load oil pressure

Cruising oil pressure 60-75psi
Under load/Vtec crossover ~40psi

With the Setrab setup I was seeing 80-95psi cruising

So my big question is....can switching from a bar and plate cooler to a flow thru cooler lower my oil pressure?
On the plus side, my oil temps are staying lower/more consistant

Scott-
Absolutely... the Jackson Racing one has no significant internal heat exchanger.... so there's no pressure drop. No surface area means no pressure drop means no heat exchanged, and the temperature delta between hot coolant and hot oil is small, where hot oil and relatively cold air IS significant.

These heat exchanges sell well because they sound good, but they do not cool the oil in any meaningful way The oil to hot coolant heat exchangers are sadly, snake oil. Unless it's literally a oil cooler integrated within a radiator, you're not seeing a pressure drop or significant oil cooling.

Last edited by SakeBomb Garage; 01-19-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Can an oil cooler effect oil pressure? Low(er) oil pressure issue