S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Left my new iPhone 7+ on the airplane

Old 01-02-2017, 09:40 AM

Received 1,563 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
A friend of mine, who was snappy dresser and wore expensive suits (yea, he was a girl chaser) had all his suits stolen from a motel room. The last I knew it was his loss as they claimed he left the door unlocked; which of course he did not.
He very well could have left it unlocked. I have had doors "slam and click" and yet are not closed. Happens a lot. I developed the ingrained habit pattern of tugging/pushing on the door when I depart. I do not rely on hearing the "click" of the door as security. So many times I found the door will just open; the lock did not set.

I also put the key card in one pocket (usually the back) and the paper sleeve with room numbers and pick up times in the other. Never keep them together. That way a pickpocket or key finder will not have both essential pieces of the key to get in to my room in case I don't make it back in time and ask for new keys. As an aside, always, always take your key with you in the event of some disturbance: earthquake, social unrest, fire alarm, etc. Very important: take a second before you step into your room for the first time to think about how you would exit in an emergency. You might have to exit on your hands and knees.

Beware.

We also brief with others (crew, family, friends) of an outside rendezvous/ meeting place in the event of we cannot return to our hotel/rooms. Squadron-mate/airline buddy of mine was in Bombay when the terrorists attacks occurred a few years ago. Came within seconds of being shot and killed. Meeting places were invaluable then.

It is a new world.

Last edited by cosmomiller; 01-02-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I like to believe that more often than not you'll get back your lost phone. Most people are caring.

I laid down my Nexus 5x in Target last week to pick up two big boxes of cat litter. As I did it, I told myself, "You're going to forget it." Yes, I did. I ran from the checkout counter back and it was already gone. I paid and went straight to customer service. It had already been turned in.

At this same Target in Mission Viejo, CA, I left my wallet in the bathroom, years ago. I was at the beach when I realized it. It was at the customer service counter when I went back and hour later with everything intact.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Yes. There are many honest people out there today. And, there are others. Such as the scum who a few years ago broke into my rental car in San Francisco and stole my iPhone 4S, my iPad, and a new iPad carrying case. They smashed the passenger side windows of the car, while I was just across the street taking photos of those Victorian houses on Pierce street. I estimate that the whole smash and grab took place just a few minutes after I left the car.

Last edited by goblueS2K; 01-02-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:40 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I read somewhere not too long ago that quite a few hundred cell phones are lost in New York City taxis every day.

You should set up your phone to require a log in password. As much a pain in the neck as it is, it could prevent trouble if someone finds it and isn't quite so honest. He/she cold get quite a bit of information before you even realize it's gone.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:40 PM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
He very well could have left it unlocked. I have had doors "slam and click" and yet are not closed. Happens a lot. I developed the ingrained habit pattern of tugging/pushing on the door when I depart. I do not rely on hearing the "click" of the door as security. So many times I found the door will just open; the lock did not set.
I double very seriously that happened. I am like you and always try to reopen the door before going down the hallway. And believe me, he did a lot more world traveling than I ever have.