Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Odb's STR CR

Old 01-22-2013, 03:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Odb's STR CR

I'm jumping on board with the CR STR preparation thread, but mine won't be nearly as interesting as the others.

Current Setup:

92k miles

Wheels/Tires:
17x9 CE28n
255/40/17 Dunlop ZIIs

Suspension:
Saner FSB softest setting
Megan offset balljoints
stock shocks
stock CR springs
Miata rear bar

Brakes:
Wilwood Dynalite calipers w/ 2-piece rotors
WASP front brake ducts
boyguan DIY rear brake ducts

Alignment:
front camber: -2.5*
front toe: 0
front caster: 5.5*

rear camber: -3.0*
rear toe: 1/8?
*this was the alignment before I switched back to OEM shocks/springs. Current numbers are unknown.

Engine:
Flashpro VTEC engagement: 4500rpms Redline: 8300rpms
Berk 70mm HFC
Berk header
CT Engineering Icebox
STR-legal Gernzhaust

Other:
KCM battery mount with Shorai battery

Setup as of the start of this thread:

71k miles

Wheels/Tires:
17x9 Nurburgrings
255/40/17 Bridgestone RE-11

Suspension:
Saner FSB full stiff
everything else is stock CR

Brakes:
Wilwood Dynalite calipers w/ 2-piece rotors

Alignment:
front camber: -1.9
front toe: 0
front caster: 6.5

rear camber: -1.9
rear toe: 0

Plans:

Flashpro - 2/7
Braille battery - 2/7
Megan camber joints - 2/11

I'd probably be better suited to leave the car as-is, put stock sized wheels back on and do RTR, but I track the car as well and I'd like to have the brakes to handle the heat at the track(already boiled the fluid once) and I want the camber joints to learn how to tune the alignment. That being said, I'm keeping the car so that I can go back to B-stock in a day or so. Last year was my first year autocrossing and I did all my events with PCA because you get a lot of runs in a short time for a little money, why not? Here it is in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPGMS7Edupk
Old 01-22-2013, 04:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Everybody is posting up their CR builds. I love it!!
Old 01-22-2013, 05:27 PM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

I do too!! Nice job!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also tried to keep my car as-is but couldn't resist! I think our CR's were meant to be built and driven. I finally decided to mod once I realized I didn't care or need to sell. Give us a review of your calipers once you install! What brake pads are you going with?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by F22CR
I also tried to keep my car as-is but couldn't resist! I think our CR's were meant to be built and driven. I finally decided to mod once I realized I didn't care or need to sell. Give us a review of your calipers once you install! What brake pads are you going with?
If I could setup my CR the way I wanted and not worry about classing, my build thread would probably be pretty similar to yours. It kills me that the rotors on that AP kit are just 1 mm smaller in diameter than factory and, as such, illegal for STR.

I'll get a review of the calipers up and while I'm at it, I'm going to see how much spacer is needed for TR C3s to clear. I'm using XP12/10 for track and AX6 for street and autocross. The pads were the only thing I was waiting on and they just came in yesterday, so I'll definitely be getting them on this weekend.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by odb812
Originally Posted by F22CR' timestamp='1358937587' post='22285779
If I could setup my CR the way I wanted and not worry about classing, my build thread would probably be pretty similar to yours. It kills me that the rotors on that AP kit are just 1 mm smaller in diameter than factory and, as such, illegal for STR.

I'll get a review of the calipers up and while I'm at it, I'm going to see how much spacer is needed for TR C3s to clear. I'm using XP12/10 for track and AX6 for street and autocross. The pads were the only thing I was waiting on and they just came in yesterday, so I'll definitely be getting them on this weekend.

A good brake setup.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by takchi
A good brake setup.
I first tried this setup based on the recommendations here. I like everything about it except that the fronts seemed to turn to butter when they get hot. The performance doesn't really fall off much, but I burned through almost half a set of front pads in one track day. Granted we only had 3 run groups that day, so I did 6 sessions with only 40 minutes between each. This was all on stock calipers with no ducts. I'm hoping that they hold up longer with the cooler temps of the new bbk and I'm going to look into adding some STR-legal ducts. After I get a good feel for the XP12s with the new setup I'm going to try out the RP2 for the track.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by takchi' timestamp='1358964983' post='22286676
A good brake setup.
I first tried this setup based on the recommendations here. I like everything about it except that the fronts seemed to turn to butter when they get hot. The performance doesn't really fall off much, but I burned through almost half a set of front pads in one track day. Granted we only had 3 run groups that day, so I did 6 sessions with only 40 minutes between each. This was all on stock calipers with no ducts. I'm hoping that they hold up longer with the cooler temps of the new bbk and I'm going to look into adding some STR-legal ducts. After I get a good feel for the XP12s with the new setup I'm going to try out the RP2 for the track.
You need ducting for XP12s for sure. I'm a little more biased towards Project Mu simply because of the initial bite and modulation you can get with them, but they come at a much higher cost than the Carbotechs.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by takchi
Originally Posted by odb812' timestamp='1358967203' post='22286781
[quote name='takchi' timestamp='1358964983' post='22286676']
A good brake setup.
You need ducting for XP12s for sure. I'm a little more biased towards Project Mu simply because of the initial bite and modulation you can get with them, but they come at a much higher cost than the Carbotechs.
[/quote]

Which Project Mu pads do you use? Do you have brake ducts? If so, where do you route the air from?

I'm much better off spending my money on seat time, but once I am more consistent with my driving I want to start experimenting with pads. Right now, though, it's so convenient with the Carbotechs since I don't have to rebed the rotors switching from street to track brakes.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:52 AM

Which Project Mu pads do you use? Do you have brake ducts? If so, where do you route the air from?

I'm much better off spending my money on seat time, but once I am more consistent with my driving I want to start experimenting with pads. Right now, though, it's so convenient with the Carbotechs since I don't have to rebed the rotors switching from street to track brakes.
I used PMU 999 in the past. I will use PMU Club Racers from now on since they're more readily available. Eventually, I will get to cutting out the faux duct in the front bumper and installing some ducting. PM Psychoazn (Mike)to inquire more about brakes. He has tried many different brake compounds out there and has driven cars with and without brake ducting. And yes, brake ducting does do wonders but I'm stubborn about cutting up my car. I'll going to roll/pull fenders soon, so I'm over that stubborn-ness now...haha

Back to PMU. There's something special driving with those pads. You can really feel out the braking points better with them, but that's just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Odb's STR CR