S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Revised map sensor?

Old 06-27-2013, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Revised map sensor?

So I have an early model ap1 that does have bolt on modifications on a stock ecu.. Around 7-8k rpm I get a slight stutter.... That comes and goes and is more NOTICABLE threw the exhaust... (Challenge 76tar, matching test pipe, berk header) I do have a vafc2 installed and a wideband sensor. Vafc2 is untuned... And I just got a valve adjustment changed my oil... I did try the map wack I even removed it and sprayed it down with brake clean and let it dry.. Wondering what you guys think? New map sensor time? Maybe a tune? I am running really rich.. New coil packs? I'm at 140k miles
Old 06-27-2013, 12:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like it could be the MAP sensor. Keep in mind that most map problems have to do with the electrical connection. Clean the connector and use a tie to secure it and see if the problem goes away.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:51 PM

I hit it today seems like the problem went away il see after work.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:08 PM

yup still hesistates on first pull 2nd pull clears up 3rd is almost not noticeable? any ideas?

anyone have the new map sensor? and fixed this problem? any links to the map?
Old 06-28-2013, 01:49 PM

anyone?
Old 06-28-2013, 04:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like MAP to me as well. The "running rich" and untuned VAFC concerns me a bit but the MAP is quick and easy just to see if that's the issue. CD is one of the sharper ones here and has forgotten more about the AP1 then most here will ever know. Perhaps you didn't understand his post. The "new" MAP sensor you note is not new at all ; from a sensor standpoint anyway. Honda found that under certain resonant frequencies the electrical connection between the connector and MAP sensor could become intermittent. Their fix was to add ziptie type connector to the MAP sensor (whin when installed is looped around the connector to mechanically secure the sensor to the connector). As CD notes you can loop a zip tie around the MAP housing and electrical connector to emmulate the Honda factory update. If this still is not clear send me a PM with your email as I run this fix on my AP1). If you go this route do a few connect/ disconnects before you Sophie. This will remove a bit of the oxidation on the contacts and assure a good electrical connectio.

Utah
Old 06-28-2013, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Utah S2K
Sounds like MAP to me as well. The "running rich" and untuned VAFC concerns me a bit but the MAP is quick and easy just to see if that's the issue. CD is one of the sharper ones here and has forgotten more about the AP1 then most here will ever know. Perhaps you didn't understand his post. The "new" MAP sensor you note is not new at all ; from a sensor standpoint anyway. Honda found that under certain resonant frequencies the electrical connection between the connector and MAP sensor could become intermittent. Their fix was to add ziptie type connector to the MAP sensor (whin when installed is looped around the connector to mechanically secure the sensor to the connector). As CD notes you can loop a zip tie around the MAP housing and electrical connector to emmulate the Honda factory update. If this still is not clear send me a PM with your email as I run this fix on my AP1). If you go this route do a few connect/ disconnects before you Sophie. This will remove a bit of the oxidation on the contacts and assure a good electrical connectio.

Utah
thanks bro,

I have some time to fiddle faddle with it tommorrow morning... I did secure it with 2 zip ties. as i saw on previous threads.. although it did seem to fix my problem temporary... (my clip on the harness side it broken not a big deal very secure with zip ties) But i will connect/disconnect as you stated before i go ahead and sophie it on there tight. Yeah the vafc2 is guna get tunned very soon! im in 11.8 and down from 7000rpm-9000rpm. Thanks again for your time on explaining this to me!
Old 06-28-2013, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't use brake cleaner on your MAF, some cleaners have chlorine in them that can leave behind a residue. This goes for carb cleaner as well. If you feel you must hose down the MAF with something, use CNC Mass Air Flow Cleaner or 99% Isopropyl Alcohol.