Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mercedes Benz AMG GT Revealed....

Old 09-09-2014, 08:21 PM
Community Organizer

Received 218 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Mercedes Benz AMG GT Revealed....

What do you guys thing? I'm a huge Porsche guy, and even I love this.

From Autoblog:

After months of teasing and spying, the Mercedes-AMG GT is here, serving as a flagship sports car in the wake of the mighty SLS AMG. The first thing you notice about the new model is its name – this isn't just a Mercedes-Benz. Oh no, Affalterbach's input is so significant that the company saw fit to give it a proper Mercedes-AMG designation.

Mercedes is launching its new coupe in two trims, both packing the brand's new 4.0-liter, twin-turbocharged V8 with dry-sump lubrication, dubbed the M178. The standard GT boasts a healthy 456 horsepower and 443 pound-feet of torque. Preliminary figures from the company claim that it can sprint to 60 miles per hour in 3.9 seconds and carry on to an electronically limited top speed of 189 mph. If that's not enough speed, the GT S makes 503 hp and 479 pound-feet to reach 60 in an estimated 3.7 seconds all the way to a limit of 193 mph.

Regardless of trim, that new V8 is mounted behind the front axle, and power gets routed to the rear wheels via a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission with a locking differential. All the weight out back gives the coupe a 47:53 weight distribution from front to rear. The trick drivetrain gets wrapped up in an aluminum spaceframe chassis with a double-wishbone suspension at all four corners that boasts aluminum-forged components. The GT S also gets adjustable damping as standard.
Mercedes-AMG GT
Mercedes-AMG GTMercedes-AMG GT

Only a wisp of the past comes through in the modern coupe form.

Mercedes does a real magic trick with the styling of the GT. The two-seater has retro touches from the 300SL like the single-bar chrome grille and bubble roof. However, it's all tied together well enough that only a wisp of the past comes through in the modern coupe form.

Up front there's just a big prominent Mercedes star nestled in an oval grille with two hungry air intakes at the lower corners. From there, the hood with dual powerdomes hides that new V8 and leads to the bubble canopy that flows to the tapered rear. The back looks remarkably wide with long, skinny taillights poking out to the hefty rear fenders. There's an electronically controlled rear spoiler, too, but it remains well hidden when not deployed.

Things aren't quite so harmonious inside. The instrument panel is fine with Mercedes' contemporary two-pod layout featuring an electronic display in the center. However, the center console is kind of a mess and looks like a mountain of knobs rising out of the vehicle. Mercedes calls it the Drive Unit, and it's supposed to be reminiscent of the V8's cylinder layout. But in photos, it just looks awfully busy.

Mercedes-AMG GTMercedes-AMG GT
Mercedes-AMG GT

The GT S has optional dynamically adjusting engine and transmission mounts.

Being a Mercedes performance car, there are any number of options to further enhance the coupe's dynamics, like ceramic brake rotors and forged wheels. However, one of the most exciting features is the Dynamic Plus package available for the GT S, with dynamically adjusting engine and transmission mounts. When cruising, they can be soft and compliant but firm up during more enthusiastic driving. The pack also adds Race and M (for manual) transmission modes, retuned power steering, a stiffer suspension and increased negative camber at the front axle.

As a smaller (and likely cheaper) take on the AMG sports coupe formula first put forward by the SLS, the GT seems to bring a lot to the table. There are still a few months before we really get to find out, though. The 2016 AMG GT S launches in the US in the spring of 2015, and the standard GT comes a year later. Scroll down to read Mercedes' massive press release about its latest coupe from AMG.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Competition: Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Audi R8, Jaguar F-type, Maserati GranTurismo, Porsche 911.

Estimated Arrival and Price: The Mercedes-Benz GT AMG likely will bow next fall, arriving on showroom floors in 2015 as a 2016 model. Pricing will start at around $120,000.

Looking at car&drivers "competition" list, it looks a little odd. The Maserati is a luxury cruiser, the 911 is a purpose built sports car, the R8 a livable supercar. Doesn't this seem like to many rolls to fill properly? They list a target weight of 3300 lbs which would be pretty nice but it just doesn't seem like it could be that light, lets hope that it is.

They do list a couple models and the possibility of a black edition. I could see the entry level model being a luxury car the step up a sports car to complete with the 911 and the black to compete with the R8 but not each model doing everything all at once.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:41 AM
Community Organizer

Received 218 Likes on 139 Posts

The first three pictures you posted are of the SLS AMG, and the last one is a rendering of what the GT could have looked like.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:16 AM

Received 1,116 Likes on 994 Posts

MB AMG GT.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:12 AM

Received 268 Likes on 168 Posts

Looking at car&drivers "competition" list, it looks a little odd. The Maserati is a luxury cruiser, the 911 is a purpose built sports car, the R8 a livable supercar. Doesn't this seem like to many rolls to fill properly? They list a target weight of 3300 lbs which would be pretty nice but it just doesn't seem like it could be that light, lets hope that it is.
I don't really see the problem here with the competition list. This car will perform at the level of the 911 GT3, Audi R8 V10 and F Type R. It is a purpose built sports/super car. Some people will compare it to the Maserati because they are both sexy looking coupes.

More than anything I'm relieved about the looks. it looks fantastic! After the latest SL I was really worried they would muck it up. Double wishbone suspension front and rear is good news
Old 09-10-2014, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like they started with a beautiful and aggressive sports car and left the clay model out in the rain.

Too soft.. Cute.. Big letdown - was looking forward to this car.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:18 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by rnye
Looks like they started with a beautiful and aggressive sports car and left the clay model out in the rain.

Too soft.. Cute.. Big letdown - was looking forward to this car.
^^yup^^

Outside is nothing special. Inside looks to have nice details. Over all, kind of bland and safe. Doesn't do much for me. MB would have to have noticeably finance/lease program for me to go for this over the competition.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a really, really beautiful car - even more so than the SLS, IMO.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:51 AM

Received 268 Likes on 168 Posts

Yeah I think it's gorgeous. Right up there with the F Type IMO, and should be considerably lighter (and should, given the price premium).
Old 09-10-2014, 06:10 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,937 Posts

I'm disappointed with the starting price @ $120k, I was hoping it would be closer to $100k. 911's are stupid money now and with the MB starting at $120 they won't pull anyone away from a 911, IMO.

I do like the car though

Quick Reply: Mercedes Benz AMG GT Revealed....