UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Unsure what to do!

Old 04-29-2016, 04:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll try to make my way down there
Old 04-29-2016, 11:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jay-s2k
Whats peoples thoughts? Would i actually get any power gains with the stock exhaust?
You might get 10-15 bhp which you won't honestly notice. It's an expensive way to get not much power and not go any faster. Worth it if you're competing or planning on going FI but otherwise not IMO.

Bear in mind if you're buying new you won't get much change out of £1500 once it's mapped.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JMoura
Jay, have you considered the UK mod?
I don't think there's much to be gain with an exhaust(power-wise) except from something like a hytech exhaust system.
If i was in your position, I'd spend the money in a shorter final drivel for example.
I would love to get more torque out of the car and see what power i could get. Im thinking ECU soonish and exhaust later.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by nomadicS2k
Can't believe I am going to say this - but I would save the money from buying the ECU and get driver training and better tyres. The ECU is good and you do get more midrange torque and lower the VTEC but it's worth nothing unless you can exploit it!
I was going to get track tyres and get a Geo done before had but would like a little more power / torque more than anything but just wanted to see what kind of gains i could expect in mid and top end (if any).
Old 04-29-2016, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
What Scottietse just wrote! I ran my first season (2014) on the stock exhaust and found it boring. Installed the Q300 circa May 2015. Removed it less than a month later! Perhaps it was my high flow cat but the noise was horrible.

The Tanabe Medalion Touring dual will replace the Q300 in 15 minutes once the car is on a lift or jackstands. Same four basic pieces. No need to remove the rear subframe cross brace.

Sell your Q300. There's a surprising market for them.

How's this look?

vs

-- Chuck
Hi Chuck, Thanks for the pics, both look great, would love to see it in person.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by scottietse
Originally Posted by SuperHamz' timestamp='1461917581' post='23952029
What's the sound like at cruising speed on the Medallion?

I like the Q300, but on long drives it can drone, which gets frustrating, even with the hard top
I just fitted the exhaust last week and so far I love the deep and non raspy tone.

Driving around town its very subtle and roars when you give it some beans.

personally I think it has the perfect balance.

drive like a granny = quiet

drive like you stole it = aggressive deep tone

Motorway driving without drone means I can actually hear my stereo for once
I would love to see how much it roars when giving it some beans lol
Old 04-29-2016, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by scottietse
Originally Posted by SuperHamz' timestamp='1461926522' post='23952068
Sounds (no pun intended) good, might have to consider swapping, don't think I can justify getting a new one.

Is that the Touring or the Concept G that you have?
I have the Medallion Touring...

If you are going to the ACE café meet next week I will be there.

My S is supercharged and decated but the exhaust sound still remains civilized
Might see you there then
Old 04-29-2016, 02:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim S
You might get 10-15 bhp which you won't honestly notice. It's an expensive way to get not much power and not go any faster. Worth it if you're competing or planning on going FI but otherwise not IMO.

Bear in mind if you're buying new you won't get much change out of £1500 once it's mapped.
Well that fell on deaf ears then.

As you already seem to have made your mind up, can you do me a favour. Dyno the car on a local dyno before you get the ECU, and not on the dyno the mapper will use. It will probably make around 220bhp if the dyno is honest. I've seen some make the stated power (235 - 240) - if yours is under power try to find out why (plugs, general engine health, etc.).

After mapping go back to the original dyno and post your results.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:30 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Whilst an EMS is expensive for the power gain, I still think it's a worthwhile mod.

Mine started off at 233bhp and then made 244bhp peak figures and made 25-30bhp and 15-20LB/FT mid range. All done on the same rolling road.

Also to the original poster.

Do all the right breather bolt ons before getting it mapped, Intake, Exhaust manifold, exhaust and test-pipe. You do yield much better gains.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:47 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Not sure why we're talking "shaft" horsepower here, unless the engine is on a stand there's no way to measure it. What power are you getting at the rear wheels? Before and after?

I don't have "before" data on mine (dyno is 90 minutes away) but the "after" data with a K&N FIPK, Berk 63.5mm high flow cat and Medalion Touring exhaust shows 221bhp at the rear wheels on a Mustang dyno. These dynos have been claimed to read 10% lower than others but I'm not about to claim 243bhp at the wheels here.

The power under the curve is astounding. Ideally the car should have been dynoed before and after every modification but I wasn't writing a dissertation, just wanted more useful power. I got it. Hits the rev limiter so fast I put in a rev alarm. a buddy who has driven my car several times refers to the car as "a beast." Perhaps not that dramatic but compared to how it was and his AP1 that's his impression. He just raised the ante and installed a supercharger. The same Berk high flow cat and Medalion Touring on his car sounds wonderful as well.

Gernby FlashPro tune can be done anytime and as many times as your PayPal account can supply.

-- Chuck