S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

ECU tuning

Old 08-08-2012, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ECU tuning

Hi guys,

i was wondering if getting the stock ECU reprogrammed on a N/A setup will produce noticeable performance results? Anyone ever done this without goin F/I??
Old 08-08-2012, 02:58 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have a 2001 S2000 like it says in your list, the ECU on your car cannot be reprogrammed. You can add a piggyback ECU but the benefits are limited and as some have experienced, short lived because the ECU will learn to bypass it. You can always get an aftermarket ECU but again, the benefits are limited and some may say it's not worth it. Do you have lots of money and time?
Old 08-08-2012, 03:41 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Only in feedback mode the way I understand
Old 08-09-2012, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xviper
If you have a 2001 S2000 like it says in your list, the ECU on your car cannot be reprogrammed. You can add a piggyback ECU but the benefits are limited and as some have experienced, short lived because the ECU will learn to bypass it. You can always get an aftermarket ECU but again, the benefits are limited and some may say it's not worth it. Do you have lots of money and time?

Time yes, money No.... i see on many car shows how people have the ECU on a WRX or Integra reprogrammed to remove the stock limitations of the ECU... so thats why i was asking really..
Old 08-09-2012, 10:41 AM

The early S2000s ECU is not like those other cars. The chip in it cannot be changed or re-programmed. The later S2000s had ECUs that you could do a reflash.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a '00 model and found that driveability is much improved with the Mugen ECU... there are some downsides; cost, a drop in mileage, ignores knock sensor so you must have good gas and temp management, and you will have to swap back to the OEM unit to pass a smog check. I like it well enough that I feel it is mandatory for me on early AP1 models.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper
i beg to differ. a standalone is totally worth it. i posted a graph of my car bone stock and then tuned with bolt on's and a standalone. both on the same dyno. i posted the graphs in this thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/909...tepped-intake/

there was a 38 whp gain peak and even more in the mid range.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by b.r.i.a.n.
Originally Posted by xviper' timestamp='1344466708' post='21923131
i beg to differ. a standalone is totally worth it. i posted a graph of my car bone stock and then tuned with bolt on's and a standalone. both on the same dyno. i posted the graphs in this thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/909...tepped-intake/

there was a 38 whp gain peak and even more in the mid range.
OK, I'm not here to argue with you nor am I knocking what you've done and you are fully within your rights to believe that all that you've done is "worth it". However, please go take a look at everything you've done and add up the total cost of it. You're not talking about just a stand alone ECU. Take a look at your list:
since the last time i tuned it i've added a 70 mm throttle body and i ported matched the opening of the intake manifold to the new throttle body. i also added a stepped intake. i made this one longer than the previous short ram and i have the filter sitting towards the bottom of the drivers side of the bumper where the air pump previously sat. it's 3.5 inch and tapers towards 3 inch as it approaches the throttle body. for those of you who did not see the previous thread, here's the link:

https://www.s2ki.com/...3-inch-exhaust/

at the moment, the car has the following modifications:

- diy stepped 3.5 inch to 3 inch intake with blox filter and bpi 3.5 inch velocity stack
- omnipower 70 mm throttle body
- hondata intake manifold gasket
- plm header and 2.5 inch test pipe
- hks 3 inch single exhaust
- injector dynamic 1000cc injectors
- e85 fuel
- gm intake air temperature sensor
- haltech platinum sport 1000 ecu
Let's take your "38 whp" gain. Tell us how much in $$$$$$ you spent to achieve those extra ponies. The original question in this thread was about re-programming the stock ECU and I mentioned about an aftermarket ECU, nothing about all the extras you had to do to make those gains. Did the standalone all by itself achieve those gains? Because if it did, you spent a lot of money on all that other stuff. Please include all the labor costs for the work, all the costs for tuning and tell us how many dollars per HP gain. What kind of money are we talking about here? OK, let's forget about the labor. Let's say you did it yourself. Not everyone will be able to do it themselves. Worth it to you? Great! You should be applauded for your work and effort. All I said was that "some" may differ and of course, you differed with that. To each his own.

And here is what "Speakeasy2009" said .......................
Time yes, money No....
So, Speakeasy2009, what is 38 whp worth to you?

I spent $6000.00 nearly 10 years ago to put a Vortech on my S2000 for a claimed gain of 100 whp. In the same token, I thought it was worth it to me, however, "some may say it's not worth it". I'm just telling both sides of the story here.
Do we have all apples here? Or are there some oranges thrown in?
Old 08-09-2012, 03:16 PM

^^^ this guy!
Old 08-09-2012, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by cdelena
I have a '00 model and found that driveability is much improved with the Mugen ECU... there are some downsides; cost, a drop in mileage, ignores knock sensor so you must have good gas and temp management, and you will have to swap back to the OEM unit to pass a smog check. I like it well enough that I feel it is mandatory for me on early AP1 models.
It is obvious from your post that you think it was "worth it" and I respect you for that. However, you did tell the whole story of the "downsides" and for that I respect you that much more. As much as we want to convince the whole world that our choices are the best and that we would dearly love to bring everyone onto the bandwagon to validate those choices we make, we need to tell it in such a way so that others can make informed decisions.

Quick Reply: ECU tuning