UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rear BBK option?

Old 05-11-2016, 11:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Snakebomb does the Honda handbrake cable fit streight on to the Mazda calliper, like for like no modification? Same as the hydraulic line? I wouldn't mind seeing some photos of this if you have any? Also what's the shipping cost going to be to the uk?
Cheers guys.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's funny that this should come up now, I bought myself an RX8 a few months ago to use on track days in place of the S2000.
I'm currently cleaning up the brakes on it and had noticed how similar they are to the Hondas,but with a vented disc.
I was meaning to compare them properly to see what it would take to fit the discs and calipers onto the S2000.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Out of curiosity, are the rotors/calipers just straight off an RX8 or am I missing something here?
Old 05-13-2016, 06:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone going to pull the trigger on one of these? I'm on the fence?
Old 05-13-2016, 12:40 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispayze
Very interesting. What is the piston surface area difference between the S2000 and RX8? Ie, will the hydraulic 'leverage' change, therefore force on the rotor, therefore brake balance? And then, how is the braking force affected by the increased pad size?
The S2000 is HEAVILY front biased. The piston diameter is 43mm vs 41mm stock S2K. The leverage on the rear does increase. We have tested with the same pad compounds front and rear and it works quite nicely... but that's an unofficial statement. To cover our butts for liability purposes we are "officially" recommending people run a split compound setup with a lower pad friction in the rear vs front. If someone is running wide slicks you can generate more weight transfer to the front, reducing rear bias. Honda was unbelievably conservative with rear bias, but the closer you get to optimal rear bias the faster you can stop. Go past that point and your rears lock first (which is bad). And variables such as spring rage, tire compound, tire width, road surface, etc all change the effective bias. We tuned our front kit to maximize rear grip with the RX8 rears... but if you've got an existing front kit with smaller pistons (meant for stock rears) our official position is, use one step lower friction compound in the rear.

We are also working on an inline - no modification - bias adjuster to keep stock bias, but that's in the works, we just need to get the rear kits out as is before adding all the bells and whistles, but there are bells and whistles coming you guys so no need to worry, we'll be able to cover 99% of setups.

Originally Posted by Carbon S2K
Snakebomb does the Honda handbrake cable fit streight on to the Mazda calliper, like for like no modification? Same as the hydraulic line? I wouldn't mind seeing some photos of this if you have any? Also what's the shipping cost going to be to the uk?
Cheers guys.
It's funny we get so many people calling us "snake bomb" that it's become an inside joke here... one of our guys already made a gag shirt-design with a snake bomb. I think hes gonna put them together for everyone at the shop, we're pretty stoked about it haha.

Shipping cost to the UK is: not cheap. We do have a European (German) vendor, and I can put you in contact with him. If he's bringing over a shipment I'm sure we could include your brakes in the next shipment to save on cost. Email us for his contact info info@sakebombgarage.com . There are no modifications to the chassis, we include all bracketry to make this sucker bolt up.

Originally Posted by mdb_75
It's funny that this should come up now, I bought myself an RX8 a few months ago to use on track days in place of the S2000.
I'm currently cleaning up the brakes on it and had noticed how similar they are to the Hondas,but with a vented disc.
I was meaning to compare them properly to see what it would take to fit the discs and calipers onto the S2000.
It takes a LOT, this is not a bolt up caliper. Retrofitting this caliper was a huge engineering undertaking and took quite a few refinements/iterations/testing to dial it all in. Our hard work paid off though, and we are absolutely pleased with how everything finally turned out. I realize everyone is taking our word for it but with the delivery of the first batch of kits it will be very obvious that this is the best solution available for the S2000 hands down. If we can help with any rotary parts though... just holler. Nice to see a fellow rotor head around

Originally Posted by SuperHamz
Out of curiosity, are the rotors/calipers just straight off an RX8 or am I missing something here?
No, the calipers are. The rotors are completely different... offset, diameter, thickness. The caliper also needs to be adapted to the S2K with a caliper mounting bracket, stainless brake lines, as well as E-brake relocation brackets that bolt to the chassis and caliper that allow the interface between the RX8 caliper and the S2000 E-brake cable. There are quite a few trick pieces with this kit... we think you guys will be very happy/impressed with how thought through and complete the package is.

Originally Posted by Carbon S2K
Anyone going to pull the trigger on one of these? I'm on the fence?
Seven people have so far... our first run of 15 kits is more than half sold out

You can pay in full here http://www.sakebombgarage.com/sbg-co...-system-s2000/ (additional $65 off the standard price for S2Ki customers paying in full, use code: S2Ki65RearInFull )
OR submit a $200 deposit to hold you spot with the remainder due upon completion of the first batch of kits http://www.sakebombgarage.com/rear-c...p-buy-deposit/
Old 05-13-2016, 01:42 PM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Interesting stuff, thanks for the info. I'll be interested when I've got back to the track with my now SCed car (probably next year, as I'm currently buying a house!). Especially if there's a bias valve to even things up again. Having cooked rear pads on track before, this could be very handy and reduce the need to make some ducting for the rear brakes, which is also on my to do list.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:20 AM
Sponsor

Interesting stuff, thanks for the info. I'll be interested when I've got back to the track with my now SCed car (probably next year, as I'm currently buying a house!). Especially if there's a bias valve to even things up again. Having cooked rear pads on track before, this could be very handy and reduce the need to make some ducting for the rear brakes, which is also on my to do list.
We've seen the ducting threads and had a bit of a laugh. The length people have gone through to not address the brake issues on this car are silly. 16 years later...

Just a point of interest, the FC RX7 featured 20mm vented rears in 1985. Carried all the way through to the RX8. Guess how many threads there are about overheating rear Mazda calipers, cooked hubs, or rear rotor wear, cracking, or insane pad wear? survey says? .....
Old 05-14-2016, 07:04 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Honda aren't daft though, you wonder why they went without vented rears. Weight? Interesting stuff though, ta.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:02 PM
Sponsor

Honda aren't daft though, you wonder why they went without vented rears. Weight? Interesting stuff though, ta.
Ultimately a lot boils down to production costs, versus the perception of what's needed for the vehicle. The difference in cost between a solid disc brake and a vented one, is considerable, and when cars go to production, the manufacturer does their best to optimize production costs and sometimes performance suffers as a result.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:42 PM
Sponsor

If you are still in the market between now and halloween use the code S2kiTrickOrTreat2016 at checkout to get 10% your SakeBomb Garage performance brake systems! For orders of pads, lines ands fluids use the code BRAKETOBERFEST2016 to get free shipping!
SakeBomb Garage Brake Systems