S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rattle From The Soft Top

Old 09-22-2006, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle From The Soft Top

Hey Guys,
I've never posted to this particular forum before (only previously in S2000 Talk, Wheels/Tires and Introduction) but I figured this is probably my best bet to get the most concrete answers/advice for this particular issue. I love my 06 S... have about 1900 miles on it. The only frustrating thing that I can't seem to fix or even get a firm handle on exactly what is going on, is a funny rattle/tapping sound from the inner canopy. The sound appears to be coming from the set of arms to the left and right of my head both on the driver and passenger side. Now I have come to understand that this (rattles and such) is very common on the S but I would still like to feel as though I have attempted every possible solution. I came across this thread relating to a similar "rattle" and thought the suggested fix would solve my problem:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=77403&st=0
I took the car to Honda and they did a quick application of grease or some other lubricant to the area mentioned in the thread (middle arm over the window). I originally thought the sound was somewhat lessened but that was actually not the case. I went back to Honda the following week (this past Thurs) and took a service advisor for a ride - he had originally suggested silicone inserts after the lubrication seemed to fail but while we were driving told me the sounds were actually coming from the cross bars over my head - his feeling was that it was the sound of the cross bar rubbing against the canvas and the inserts would not be of any help. I would like a second opinion and would like to find a tech or knowledgeable driver/owner in the LA area to help me get this sorted out. I will of course pay for the help. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE help me get to the bottom of this!
Thanks!
J
Old 09-22-2006, 01:58 PM

I have the exact same sound, I've been using "take a deep breath. there is no sound. take a deep breath. there is no sound." method

I like your approach better though.

Somewhat related (I'm not saying this is your sound, but just asking if you have it or not):
Try something for me, when you tap the softtop around the back window, say above it, on its right/left, do you have a sort of clicking sound?
Old 09-22-2006, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi J,

I have the same type of problem, although I'm not sure that both our problems are caused by exactly the same thing, but when my top rattled I got paranoid about the latches not being on tight enough. By latches, I mean the latches that lock the top into the body of the car when you have your top up.

My quick fix for this was to tap the button that lowers the soft top. That way it gave the top a little bit of tension and voila! problem solved.

NOTE: do not hold the button for too long, I don't think that a lot of tension could be good for the top as it might result in stress tears.

Hope that helps

Or just and the sound goes away. Yay!
Old 09-22-2006, 04:24 PM

Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has experienced this but a quick search through the forums reveals this has been a persistent issue with many drivers for quite some time. Countless threads relate to annoying sounds or rattles either from the soft or hard top with the S. I plan on bringing my car back to Honda to see again about the possibility of reducing some of these sounds but I'm not sure how to counter when a tech or service advisor simply states, this is just the nature of a convertible. I have to assume that the Boxter or other high-end convertible sports cars are not ALL prone to such quirks and I don't recall either of the two S2000's I test drove making this sound. Again, I plead to knowledgeable board members to help me out here - this might be something I will have to live with, which I'm fully prepared to do so but if there is a fix available, I would love to find out. I'm in the Los Angeles area here folks - anyone who can help out or knows something I don't, PLEASE PM me!
Thanks!
Jason
Old 09-25-2006, 07:56 AM

I have the same rattle 8(
Old 09-25-2006, 09:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the 2 screws on the latch. Mine loosened up a little on the one side.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iDomN8U,Sep 25 2006, 10:39 AM
Check the 2 screws on the latch. Mine loosened up a little on the one side.

I had this sound from the driver side only. I tightened the screws on the latch and it went away. The other quick solution is to put tension on the top by tapping the top switch as stated above, but I do not recommend this. Not only is it hard on the top material, it is hard on the top motor.

Good luck
Old 09-25-2006, 05:29 PM

I had the same ticking sound coming from the top. While driving, I would put my hand on the edge of the top near my head and pull downward. The ticking sound goes away. I checked the Allen bolts and Phillips screws and they were all snug on both driver and passenger side. Next step was to lubricate the arms with silicone spray (or WD-40) where they connect together. The picture below shows the places to lubricate. Don't lube them when the top. It's better to put the top down to avoid making a mess.

Note: The plastic cover with the screw just covers one more pivot joint which can be lubricated with the top down through the slot at the bottom of the cover. No need to remove it.

With the top down, arrows show where to lubricate. Shove a towel underneath the area to collect the drip. Spray the pivot arm joints and allow to penetrate. Do the same on the passenger side. May want to repeat again.

Note: The cover with the small slot appears to the right with the slot opening (top most arrow on right). Spray inside left and right.

Now, close the top and lower it a few times to work in the lubricant. This should cure the problem. I went for a drive afterwards and no more ticking. The next day, it was still quiet. As a couple weeks passed by, the top is still silent today. I've heard from others that the ticking sound may still be evident after this procedure. This made my top quiet and may possibly work in your situation if not already tried.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if everyone's complaining about the ticking sound that seems to come from above the driver's head, the dealer will never figure it out.

a piece of sticky felt fixes it.

in the picture above with all the arrows pointing up...see where the 2nd arrow from the right points right under a big screw? open the top a bit and you'll see where the top of that big screw touches another piece of plastic when the top is closed. Those two touch and make the clicking sound. Stick some felt on where that screw touches another part of plastic (think it's actually a little metal bar).

Should be all good.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:42 PM

i found i have a similar rattle sound, but i allready figured out where mine came from. if you have the top up, and the sound is happening, put pressure on the clamps and see if it goes away, when i just put pressure on it with my hand the sound goes away... but as soon as i let go its in full swing again. I have yet to think of a way to fix it.

Quick Reply: Rattle From The Soft Top