S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Looking for ideas (turbo vs supercharger)

Old 05-27-2009, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for ideas (turbo vs supercharger)

After searching the site and reading a lot of different threads on the subject, I thought I would create my own.

I have been looking into different boost options for my 04 and am going back and fourth as far as what I am looking for, and was hoping you guys could help me make up my mind. Basically I want 300WHP+, still drivable, and dependable. Initially I was looking only at turbo systems because my other cars have all been turbo charged, but after reading through threads here and information on other sites, kits like the SoS supercharger started to gain my favor. The primary reason they appeal to me is because of the easy install, completeness of the kits, and their simplicity. This car isn't a race car, it's just my sporty weekend car that gets autocrossed/dragged sometimes for fun.

I layed out a list of what I was looking for an it's something like this:
1) 300WHP to 350WHP
2) Simplistic (for maintenance/install)
3) Drivable/raceable (no dyno queen power bands)
4) Reliable
5) Slight upgrade headroom (to find the right amount of power)

With these requirements I pretty much know that I won't be heading down the road of radical experimentation that I have with other cars in the past, so I need your guys input. What kind of kits would you recommend? For my needs should I be looking more at supercharger kits or turbo kits? Is there difference in power delivery different enough between the superchargers and the turbos to radically change the driving characteristics?
Old 05-27-2009, 06:41 PM

I have not done very much research on superchargers, but I must say the greddy turbo kit sounds like the kit for you... Guys on here are makin over 300 whp and some are upgrading to bigger turbos ect to make even more power.... I have autcrossed the car with the turbo and its awesome.. tons of low end torque.....But eventually you might get sick of this kit like I am kinda starting to... Maybe inline pro but ull be spending more.... check out the ultimate greddy turbo thread for more info on it...
Old 05-27-2009, 07:53 PM

I was in the same boat as you for a while, I decided to go SC. I then was in between kraftwerks and SOS. I went with the SOS kit, great power, looks almost OEM and can be upgraded for more power later
Old 05-27-2009, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by chad86,May 27 2009, 06:41 PM
I have not done very much research on superchargers, but I must say the greddy turbo kit sounds like the kit for you... Guys on here are makin over 300 whp and some are upgrading to bigger turbos ect to make even more power.... I have autcrossed the car with the turbo and its awesome.. tons of low end torque.....But eventually you might get sick of this kit like I am kinda starting to... Maybe inline pro but ull be spending more.... check out the ultimate greddy turbo thread for more info on it...
Yeah, I read that thread. Honestly it's a hard decision. I know I can install the SoS kit in a weekend, but I'm not sure if the lack of flexibility will bother me in the future. Also, I'm not sure of a reputable vendor for the Greddy kit yet. If I order the SoS kit, I will probably also order my brakes (rotors, pads, SS lines) through them too, as well as some other items on my to-do list.

Maybe I can get in touch with some local guys with the kits so I can see them in person. I have seen them at SEMA and stuff, but I need to look them over again and maybe see if I can bribe some people in to taking me for a spin so I can see the driving behavior on them.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As much as I am a fan of SOS, I would say go with kraftwerks, you get nearly the low end of a turbo plus the linearity and response of a SC...can't loose there, benefit of rotrex technology, whereas the SOS kit is simply another (albeit) more efficient centrifugal like the vortech and CT system(s), so you don't get a blend of both worlds...both sos and kw are upgradeable from 300-400whp though. I have driven greddy turbo s2ks and a kw s2k, came away impressed by both, but much more so by kw car, I have yet to drive a vortech/ct/sos sc s2k...only been in centrifugal cars of other makes and models...
Old 05-27-2009, 10:48 PM

if your going to go turbo, its either... get a greddy and stay satisfied with about 300whp (dyno dynamic) cuz thats all you will get out of it. If you plan to get a better kit...inline pro...full race... be prepared to open your wallet but the potential amount of power you will make will be great.

Superchargers... if you want the low end grunt and a max of 380whp (dynopack) then get a KW s/c. KW maxes out at 10lbs of boost so keep that in mind. The sos kit so far can make about 18lbs i think... and can easily make 450+ (dynopack) you just won't get that little extra low-end torque that the kw provides but you will make more hp in the long run. Seriously do more searching..... because

this topic has been discussed Soooo many times now, even if you want to make your own thread, it has been done... it has been discussed...and all you need to do is search MORE and MORE and MORE because all the info. is on this website. i don't even ask questions anymore... i just search for it and its there. this website has been around for 9 years and NINE years of research and posted threads about supercharging and turbocharging the s2000 has been discussed.

do what you gotta do man but remember, its not just paying for s/c or turboing the car.... once you hit 300whp you will have to get a new clutch and engine managment and thats gonna be an additional 2 grand MINIMUM and thats if you get the good stuff... not some cheap crap.

...remember when thinking about saving money all your doing is delaying a problem that will HAVE TO BE solved later in life... its either go all-out with the costs now or deal with it again later because one-day.... YOU WILL BE BACK FOR MORE POWER!!! boost is addicting. it makes cigarettes or heroine look like a joke
Old 05-27-2009, 10:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ DeadZero you are 100% deadon lol ... Could not have put it better myself !!
Old 05-27-2009, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by DeadZero,May 27 2009, 10:48 PM
boost is addicting. it makes cigarettes or heroine look like a joke
true
Old 05-28-2009, 04:38 AM

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

i've been boosting for years now....started with muscle cars then realized the potential of 4 bangers and turbo's... boost IS addicting..

This is my 2nd time turboing my s2000.... within a year lol.. first time put down 301whp and 198tq... this time.. SAME kit but different injectors, bigger exhaust and wideband, i put down 328 and 230tq..

let me tell you..any foo that says 300 isnt anything... their idiots....YOU MAY however get there and THEN it will Feel slow.. but its not. you jsut got used to it and thats where boost becomes addictive.

this isnt my daily anymore... i have a 2002 maxima with the 3.5 vq motor so it has the pep and tq i like for daily... THEN... on the weekends... bwaahahaha... stepping into the s2k after not driving it for a whole week Really does the trick..you learn to appreciate it more. believe me.

I'm planning on having the 2mm cometic HG coppersprayed slapped in a raise the boost... would like to see 400whp...

but if you do it right... and do it right the first time.. it seriously saves you alot of money and headaches in the long run.

this is a game that alot of folks cant afford to play... i've been blessed to where i can. but let me just say this...

if your gonna do this... do this all the way.. there is NO in between. none...
Old 05-28-2009, 06:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your power goals are just 300-350 I would get the SOT roots blower. A lot more area under the torque curve than the SOS/Vortech/KW systems.

Quick Reply: Looking for ideas (turbo vs supercharger)