S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Looking for ideas (turbo vs supercharger)

Old 05-30-2009, 02:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelnyden,May 29 2009, 10:10 PM
so does the rotrex split the difference between the centrifugal and roots type?
Yes. It favors high-rpm boost unlike roots, but does have more low end grunt than a centrifugal. It also tends to be the quietest of the three. It is also a little limited in top HP potential when compared with a centrifugal. It terms of peak HP, it would be in between centrifugal and roots. More peak potential than roots, but less than centrifugal.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:10 AM

[QUOTE=camuman,May 28 2009, 07:42 AM] before you say, wait, you made less power wiht more boost, the second dyno is dyno dynamics uncorrected....and know has heart breaker dyno for a reason.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a great thread - thanks for the replies, because I'm struggling with a similar set of desires. Looking for:
- Low end torque around town (SOT, Greddy)
- Emissions legal in metro Atlanta (Greddy, SOS, KW)
- 350-370whp from my AP1 for the occasional mountain run (KW, SOS)

They're all great kits, but I haven't yet found the perfect combination. I would lean toward SOT/roots if it can be tuned a bit stronger and if I can pass emissions with it.

I got tired of staring at so many different dyno charts, so I manually entered data points into Excel to compare the different options for an AP2. (Would prefer to do this for AP1 but can't find the data.) This is definitely not scientific or accurate, but it gave me a general idea of where each kit made torque.

Poorly represented below: Kraftwerks High Boost (rotrex), Static X / Stage One Tuning MP62 tuned to 8lb (roots), Greddy (turbo), Science of Speed aftercooled (centrifugal).

Old 05-31-2009, 05:21 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

ap1 and ap2 won't be much different
Old 05-31-2009, 08:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bagherra,May 30 2009, 02:57 AM
Yes. It favors high-rpm boost unlike roots, but does have more low end grunt than a centrifugal. It also tends to be the quietest of the three. It is also a little limited in top HP potential when compared with a centrifugal. It terms of peak HP, it would be in between centrifugal and roots. More peak potential than roots, but less than centrifugal.
All the curves I have plotted show the same power linear curve for the Vortech/Paxton and the Rotrex there where just shifts up or down?
Old 05-31-2009, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by dsddcd,May 31 2009, 08:13 PM
All the curves I have plotted show the same power linear curve for the Vortech/Paxton and the Rotrex there where just shifts up or down?
VT/Paxton should have more peak HP potential than a Rotrex if that's the question. The above torque curve combo was a great idea!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Torque Obsessed,May 31 2009, 03:22 PM
This is a great thread - thanks for the replies, because I'm struggling with a similar set of desires. Looking for:
- Low end torque around town (SOT, Greddy)
- Emissions legal in metro Atlanta (Greddy, SOS, KW)
- 350-370whp from my AP1 for the occasional mountain run (KW, SOS)

They're all great kits, but I haven't yet found the perfect combination. I would lean toward SOT/roots if it can be tuned a bit stronger and if I can pass emissions with it.

I got tired of staring at so many different dyno charts, so I manually entered data points into Excel to compare the different options for an AP2. (Would prefer to do this for AP1 but can't find the data.) This is definitely not scientific or accurate, but it gave me a general idea of where each kit made torque.

Poorly represented below: Kraftwerks High Boost (rotrex), Static X / Stage One Tuning MP62 tuned to 8lb (roots), Greddy (turbo), Science of Speed aftercooled (centrifugal).

Where did you read that the SOT kit doesn't pass emissions??
Old 06-04-2009, 06:56 AM

the only kits i know that are carb legal, which i would then consider emmissions legal, are greddy and i think vortech and comptech.

sot is not carb legal, but if they dont do inspection other then tail pipe sinffer, i beleive any one of these kits could pass. you just need to setup a real nice idle map and have a cat.

carb approval is long and expensive process.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:00 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think he meant it isn't carb certified or have a carb oe #...the only ones with such are the greddy kit and the kw kit is pending I believe...

Unfortunately in California, anything without a carb oe # fails you instantly. With cool smog guys getting less and less common cause they run undercover stings and they get fined hugely if they pass modified cars...this is so childish, I'd rather my tax payer dollars go more towards undercover drug stings, etc...I could care less if a smog guy is letting a guys hobby (and his hard earned money) and an intake (which doesn't make the car pollute anymore) pass. I know they draw this line on everything cause it's a slippery slope, but seriously the miniscule amount of automobiles that are modified to the point that they pollute more is not a significant pollution concern and hence they should be aiming their efforts elsewhere. Society basically hates this hobby today, in the 50's modifying cars was a national past time and was revered as an integral part of our youth culture. Modifying cars is now negative cultural capital.

That's my rant for the day, sorry. Back to the topic.