S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Looking for ideas (turbo vs supercharger)

Old 05-28-2009, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=michaelnyden,May 27 2009, 08:34 PM] As much as I am a fan of SOS, I would say go with kraftwerks, you get nearly the low end of a turbo plus the linearity and response of a SC...can't loose there, benefit of rotrex technology, whereas the SOS kit is simply another (albeit) more efficient centrifugal like the vortech and CT system(s), so you don't get a blend of both worlds...both sos and kw are upgradeable from 300-400whp though.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:19 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I just did a ton of research into the SOT/SXM kit...looks like the best kit to get if you don't desire more than 350whp...especially if you are considering autocross or road racing...if you are doing freeway pulls and highway racing, then centrifugals should be fine, and if interested in a street kit for everyday use but want a little more than 350whp, you have the kraftwerks. If you want more than 400whp, obviously go with turbo, but do not do this for road racing, the turbo s2k's generate too much heat according to Sean Church to be a reliable track car.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyFloyd,May 28 2009, 02:09 PM
I saw a dyno sheet where they compared a rotrex to a centrifical SC ( SOS, Vortec ) and the rotrex wasnt very far ahead. A somewhat small GT28-GT30 series turbo will pull all over any centrifical sc ( kraftwerks rotrex included ) down low.
funny you mention this. i was serious about a kw kit when they came out. then i saw VT and CT kits at same boost with some tuning on them, power down low was within like 5hpish, maybe 10 at most. basically, the kw has a full tune with it, but in the form of a flash. with vt or ct, you need to get it tuned. this is what stopped me from buying a kw kit. i alsmost bought a used vt with aftercoooler, since you can pick those up relatively cheap. sot caught me cause of the power everywhere.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love the torque and power band for the whipple but it is more complicated than a simple Air to Air centrifugal with self contained oiling system. As an engineer I look for the simplest design that can be made. By adding an air to water, there are advantages but the chances for catestrophic failure are higher.

As for my choise on superchargers I prefere a Screw, then Roots, Rotex, and finaly Centrifugal. However, I do not like the kit from StaicX b/c of the added intallation complexity as compaired to a simple centrifugal. (Sorry Mark) The single belt on the Kraftwerks scares me (search Snake Charmer) and I do not like haveing the additional oil cooler. So the only reamining choises are SOS and Vortech. The Vortech system was completley designed and built by them so they are a one point source. Their kit comes with their Supercooler dual pass radiator which is an option for the SOS as well as several more downsides.

I will say that I was not aware that the Vortech kit did not have standard availibility to non intercooled so I would would change my first post with the following.

Vortech's Satin Tuner Kit
K-Pro w/ WB and MAP
650CC Injectors
255LP Walbro
Old 05-28-2009, 11:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by suprmonky73,May 28 2009, 11:05 AM
SOS sounds good for you.

1) base kit is $5k, for ap2 its ~315 hp
2) sounds like the easiest installation for any SC on the market
3) since its centrifugal all the power is at the top of the RPMs, so stock power down low, power boost up top when you want it, kind of like how it came from the factory
4) simple usually correlates well with reliable. owners of the SOS can comment here
5) check out their website, they have lots of upgradeable parts for their kit
You should look at the Vortech kit
Old 05-29-2009, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by camuman,May 28 2009, 11:45 AM
funny you mention this. i was serious about a kw kit when they came out. then i saw VT and CT kits at same boost with some tuning on them, power down low was within like 5hpish, maybe 10 at most. basically, the kw has a full tune with it, but in the form of a flash. with vt or ct, you need to get it tuned. this is what stopped me from buying a kw kit. i alsmost bought a used vt with aftercoooler, since you can pick those up relatively cheap. sot caught me cause of the power everywhere.
If I was going SC it would be with the roots, so much fun with that low end grunt if you ask me. I love your setup.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:22 PM

Does SuperCharger has a high pitch whine noise to it? I've been thinking S/C or Turbo as well... Really prefer the sound of turbo... and the crazyness about it...

With the S/C do you still feel the rush at the top end of the RPM??? I've never driven a S/C car so that's why i'm asking the question.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:42 PM

With a supoerhcarger u still get that vtec feeling (top end from what I've read) and with a turbo ( depending on how big) might sppol quick like my greddy kit and give more of a steady power feeling... bigger turbos= slower spooling time.....
Old 05-29-2009, 07:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chad86,May 29 2009, 05:42 PM
With a supoerhcarger u still get that vtec feeling (top end from what I've read) and with a turbo ( depending on how big) might sppol quick like my greddy kit and give more of a steady power feeling... bigger turbos= slower spooling time.....
Centrifugals are like VTEC on steroids. As you hit the high rpms the car will take off. The roots blowers are a little more constant and you get low end torque as a bonus.

In terms of pure max HP: Turbos > Centrifugal > Roots

If you're not looking to max out HP a SC could make sense for you. Roots will be good for driving around town whereas the Centrifugal will give you the kick in the pants on the highway.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

so does the rotrex split the difference between the centrifugal and roots type?

Quick Reply: Looking for ideas (turbo vs supercharger)