S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Standard oil pressure readings.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up Standard oil pressure readings.

Hey just wondering what you are normally getting for oil pressure.
I installed a gauge the other day on my NA s2k. Going boost soon so preparing.
I was getting 25-30psi at idle and then 75-85psi driving regularly.
I got the updated oil jet bolts put in today and the oil pressure is now idle 16 lowest to 18 or 19 once been driving for a while.
Regular driving/cruising was 72-75 mostly.

With the updated oil jet bolts having 4 holes so moving more oil this makes more sense correct?
Is 16 at idle fine? Or is that too low or anything?
Old 01-19-2010, 05:49 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

I've read this in other posts about the bolts as well. It seems that the idle pressure drops because the new oil jet bolts open sooner, so perhaps with the old bolt the oil jets were closed at idle. Normal driving pressure doesn't seem much different. Having the oil jets open at idle is helpful for cooling after a hard run, the stock bolts would have the jets closed thus less cooling at idle after hard driving. I haven't done my bolts yet but definitely something I'm considering.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Ah nice. Didn't see those threads. yeah idle went down a bit more than the driving pressure went down. Lowest the idle got was 16 psi and that was after driving for about 2 hours and 100 miles home after the install.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:52 AM

I do have to say that the idle pressure is way down as compared to the service manual specs which list the minimum pressure at 38 psi at hot idle. But the service manual specs may have been set based on the original 2 bolt oil jet bolts. I doubt there is any issue with that, but the numbers will definitely be much lower than the specs. listed. I believe your pressure numbers for driving are also below minimum spec, I'd have to check but I believe the minimum pressure for 3000 rpms hot temp. is 86 psi. which sounds like a pretty high amount of pressure to me. There is probably some variation reading the pressure in the cab as opposed to a mechanical tester that is used right at the block. I doubt it's anything to worry about. I wish I could read my oil pressure.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:23 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Those oil jet bolts have their own valve, well.. at least the old ones.
According to the manual they should not open below 28 psi.
The manual also specs the min oil pressure at idle being 36 psi.
Your 16 psi seems low but there are posts by knowledgable people saying around 20 psi at idle is normal.
The oil warning light triggers at a much lower psi so you can't go by that.

If one takes the manual specs one could conclude the oil jets are closed at idle.

What oil are you using?
Shear Down Dino?

How many miles on the engine?
Is the gauge correct?
Did it come with any kind of certification / calibration report?
Where do you take the pressure?

Old 01-20-2010, 04:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Oil is valvoline synthetic.
Oil pressure changed right after the oil jet install. Nothing with the gauge was changed. Did have mobil 1 before in it though.
Car has about 120k miles.
Gauge us tapped in by the vtec solenoid I guess.
Before the install the lowest the oil pressure got at idle was like 23 or so.
I don't think there was any certification or calibration thing or anything. Definitely was higher before oil jet install though.
I guess this was the first longer drive I did with the gauge in though.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Also I thought I read on here how most people had around 20-30 psi at idle usually.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My street car has had 2 motors in it, all with the 4-hole bolts. I have a digital gauge that only displays 5psi increments, but typical warmed up idle was around 15-20psi on the original motor and is pretty much the same on my new 2.2L. My pressure sending unit is attached to about 18in of hose, which is connected to a sandwich adapter between the block and oil filter. Based on connecting a mechanical gauge up to the stock oil switch port, I know my digital gauge reads a few psi low.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Nice! Anyone else have personal readings for oil pressure?
My gauge is digital as well and shows every digit.
About to put a sc on so don't want to be nervous about the oil pressure. I'll stare at the gauge constantly lol.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:25 AM

yeah I think your numbers are pretty much in line with what others have gotten in similar setups. Chalk up the difference to the installation of the guage, percentage of error with the guage, and factory service manual specs that may have been based on older designs. I think you will be okay. Maybe try running a good 5w-40 viscosity and see if the pressure numbers rise up a bit, it may keep you from focusing on the guage so much keeping your eyes on the road, lol. good luck.

Quick Reply: Standard oil pressure readings.