S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Timing Chain Tensioner HELP!

Old 11-21-2010, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Chain Tensioner HELP!

I bought a new TCT and proceeded to start the removal of the old one.

It took some tugging and twisting to remove the old one. When it broke loose, it all came out very fast and parts fell out of the assembly. I found everything except for the piston!

Is it possible for the piston to fall inside the engine? Is there enough room for that to happen?

Anyway I installed the new one. I rotated the engine a little to see if there was a problem. I then bumped the starter a few times. Finally I started the engine at idle.

I am afraid to drive it. If that piston is in the chain case I have a big problem.

Again, is it possible for the piston to fall in?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 11-21-2010, 10:55 AM

I'm pretty sure if it's in your engine, even at idle it can cause major problems.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:48 AM

Received 3,381 Likes on 2,455 Posts

I would pm Billman250 he would be best to answer that one for ya and offer some advice. It's hard to tell from the shop manual but does the base of the chain case lead into the oil pan ?, if it does and it ended up in the oil pan it might be relatively safe in there.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Nov 21 2010, 12:48 PM
I would pm Billman250 he would be best to answer that one for ya and offer some advice. It's hard to tell from the shop manual but does the base of the chain case lead into the oil pan ?, if it does and it ended up in the oil pan it might be relatively safe in there.
I don't think it does. I can't find a complete picture with the cover off. It looks like it would fall down the side of the tensioner arm, but I don't know if can fall further down to the lower chain. Anyway, I am looking everywhere around the garage and in the engine compartment trying to find it. I am very distressed to say the least.

I pm'd Billman250 thanks for the suggestion.

Jim
Old 11-21-2010, 12:11 PM

yeah he knows these engines best. Did you compress it before attempting removal , if you did the part might be recessed into the TCT, if not then that was likley the reason why it was difficult to remove.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Nov 21 2010, 01:11 PM
yeah he knows these engines best. Did you compress it before attempting removal , if you did the part might be recessed into the TCT, if not then that was likley the reason why it was difficult to remove.
No, I didn't compress. I wish I had. All the posts said it was a waste of time although the shop manual says to do it.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:47 PM

seen this happen once. if you are lucky you can get a magnetic retriever and see if you can get it out that way. it may be a pain in the butt, its better than disassembling the block.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by osidis,Nov 21 2010, 02:47 PM
seen this happen once. if you are lucky you can get a magnetic retriever and see if you can get it out that way. it may be a pain in the butt, its better than disassembling the block.
I don't know where it would go. If I have my timing chain replaced, they should be able to find it if it is there right?

If they are gonna break it down anyway I figure I should make it worthwhile.
I have 168000 miles on the car. I don't know how long the chain is supposed to last. The manual says nothing about it.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:40 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

It's laying on the frame. There is not room for the new piston if the old one is still there. I had this happen a couple weeks ago and I used a mirror to check what was remaining.

Failure to compress the new tct prior to installation will cause problems but not prior to removal.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by jelanier,Nov 21 2010, 07:06 PM
I don't know where it would go. If I have my timing chain replaced, they should be able to find it if it is there right?

If they are gonna break it down anyway I figure I should make it worthwhile.
I have 168000 miles on the car. I don't know how long the chain is supposed to last. The manual says nothing about it.
the timing chain doesn't get replaced unless it has issues that's why there is no recommended replacement, it's not like the rubber timing belts of past Hondas.

Sounds like Sidways (ABOVE) may be onto something, it may have popped out and is laying on the frame or in some tight spot outside of the engine. For peace of mind get a long flexible magnet and try to fish around inside the timing case just as insurance.

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Tensioner HELP!