S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Timing Chain Tensioner HELP!

Old 11-21-2010, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sideways,Nov 21 2010, 04:40 PM
It's laying on the frame. There is not room for the new piston if the old one is still there. I had this happen a couple weeks ago and I used a mirror to check what was remaining.

Failure to compress the new tct prior to installation will cause problems but not prior to removal.
I was wondering if the piston fell and is resting on top of the tension lever below the hole where the TCT is inserted. ie there would be room for the new one. If it didn't lodge there, then maybe it falls into the lower chain area or the sump? I dunno

There is nothing to hold it together unless the piston is compressed with the bolt.

I dunno
Old 11-21-2010, 08:33 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't be paranoid. It flew out with everything else. The chain was under tension and acted like a bow string and piston was part of the arrow. The one I lost came out of it's hiding place at the first hard turn.

Like I said before just get a flash light and mirror and look in there if you must.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sideways,Nov 21 2010, 09:33 PM
Don't be paranoid. It flew out with everything else. The chain was under tension and acted like a bow string and piston was part of the arrow. The one I lost came out of it's hiding place at the first hard turn.

Like I said before just get a flash light and mirror and look in there if you must.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't after me

I have looked all over the plastic flooring under the engine. I can't find it. I have started the engine, but I am afraid to drive. I think that if I do a valve adjustment I can see down in that area after the valve cover is removed. Not sure though.

Thanks

Jim
Old 11-22-2010, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A piece of a TCT fell into the oilpan in this post: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry19214772
I think the piston would go to the oilpan too.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:49 AM

I had mine pop off when i swapped it out, it landed on the underpinning and rolled into the engine brace area, took me a while to locate it but i HIGHLY doubt you got the piston into your engine... its pretty big for any holes in there
Old 11-22-2010, 08:35 AM

hope this helps:

I'm pretty sure the TCT Piston stucks in the upper half of the chain guide, because below is the oil main feed channel. This is closed by the front cover. So there should be no way down below to the sump
Old 11-22-2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by bpaspi,Nov 22 2010, 09:35 AM
hope this helps:

I'm pretty sure the TCT Piston stucks in the upper half of the chain guide, because below is the oil main feed channel. This is closed by the front cover. So there should be no way down below to the sump
Thank you so much for the pic. I have been searching the net trying to find a good picture.

I don't think the front cover closes at the bottom. I could be wrong, but I think it goes all the way to the sump.

What is the large hole just to the left of the tension arm? That scares me a little. I think that is the oil port you refer to next to the oil filter.

Jim

I think I see what you mean about closing the oil port...hmmm Not much room for a tct piston is there? My mechanic is coming to my place tomorrow. We are going to take the valve cover off and take a look inside down the chain guide. I will look on the subframe first though

Thanks again,

Jim
Old 11-22-2010, 03:34 PM

Received 1,306 Likes on 794 Posts

I dont think the piston would even fit past the guide and into the engine.

I have a motor on the stand ! can check in the morning.

The piston can wind up on the frame like sideways said. This has happened to me before. It winds up on the subframe by the steering rack. It can be quite hidden.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:31 AM

OK, I was planning on taking the valve cover off and the new TCT and taking a peek...

When I got the air box off, I started looking for the missing TCT piston.
It was right where you said it would be!!!!
It was hidden on the frame near the steering rack below the air box. I saw a piece of it and coaxed it out with my finger.

Thanks Sideways,Billman250 and Everyone!!!!! Good job guys
Old 11-23-2010, 11:27 AM

Just another drop in the bucket for billman haha

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Tensioner HELP!