Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unlocking seat belts after airbag deployment?

#1 User is offline   badboy00z 

• Group: Guest

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:02 AM

I recently got into an accident and the seat belts locked. I thought only the driver side was locked because it was plugged in but I just found out the passenger side is locked too. The shop only ordered the driver side and I don't really want to pay for another one.

Is there a way to unlock the seat belts after the airbags deploy? I mean if they were able to be locked shouldn't it be possible to unlock them? Can the sensor or whatever controls the airbag system be reset to unlock the belts?

#2 User is offline   Alloy Craft 

• Alloy Craft
  • Group: Sponsor

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:18 AM

The seat belts have a explosive charge in the retractors that tighten the belts upon SRS system activation. The only way to unlock them is to disassemble the retractor and remove the lock gear. I did this very thing on a set of seat belts I had. They work fine after that, but the srs light on your dash will never go off untill you buy new ones.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image[

#3 User is offline   FutureDevilDog 

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:44 AM

Buy race seat and harness
install
??????
profit

haha sry, had to.
USMC: 3531 Motor Vehicle Operator
3rd Combat Assault Battalion Okinawa, Japan
Future s2000 build (one or the other):
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

#4 User is offline   badboy00z 

• Topic Starter

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:58 PM

The seat belts have a explosive charge in the retractors that tighten the belts upon SRS system activation. The only way to unlock them is to disassemble the retractor and remove the lock gear. I did this very thing on a set of seat belts I had. They work fine after that, but the srs light on your dash will never go off untill you buy new ones.

How hard or easy was it to take it apart and remove the lock gear?

#5 User is offline   rob-2 

• Interests:Life

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:21 AM

I recently got into an accident and the seat belts locked. I thought only the driver side was locked because it was plugged in but I just found out the passenger side is locked too. The shop only ordered the driver side and I don't really want to pay for another one.

Is there a way to unlock the seat belts after the airbags deploy? I mean if they were able to be locked shouldn't it be possible to unlock them? Can the sensor or whatever controls the airbag system be reset to unlock the belts?

You need to replace them to keep the car in it's safest condition. Safe a life and don't skip on the safety equipment.

#6 User is offline   thomsbrain 

• View gallery

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:33 AM

If you went through insurance, you can just make the shop install the second one and bill your insurance.

I guess there's an advantage to the AP2 seats. The passenger seat sensor means the bag and belt won't go off unless there's actually someone in the seat.
--Peter --
2006 S2000: Blacktrax-tuned Hondata, Brian Crower, K&N, Comptech, Ohlins, Swift, Eibach, anorexicpoodle. 52,000 miles
2003 Accord EX-L V6: TL-S rear sway, 260,000 miles

#7 User is offline   Slows2k 

• View gallery
  • Group: Former Moderator
  • Interests:Peace on earth, Goodwill towards man. Repeal the NFA and GCA

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:47 PM

To actually fix the SRS system you'll need both deployed belts and a SRS control unit.
Whoretech'd twice ;)

R.I.P. JS.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Ads by Google   S2KI

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users