S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

New Solo-Specific Data Logger

Old 05-17-2012, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Solo-Specific Data Logger

I know a few of you are using your smart phones for data/video capture, so I wanted introduce you guys to a new data logging app called Solostorm that has been developed for Android-based devices by Petrel Data Systems. This has been developed specifically with solo in mind - not an adaptation of a system originally designed for road racing or track days, and a LOT more powerful than your typical app, or even expensive "black box" data logger, especially when you're at the event.

I've been lucky enough to have had the opportunity to do some testing on the app prior to release and it is, quite simply, amazing. While it does a great job of capturing data, the best features are how it analyzes the data. I think my favorite feature is how it automatically segments the course for you and shows where one run is faster/slower than another.

Some of the highlights:
-Records data + video (up to 720P, dependent on the phone being used)
-Uses Bluetooth GPS receiver to record speed (10hz), internal accelerometer to record lat/long G (20hz)
-Uses Bluetooth OBD receiver to record throttle position and RPM (2hz - this is a limitation of OBDII)
-Can set recording Start/Finish points with GPS on course walk or first run, so the system starts/stops automatically
-Creates thumbnails of course video to be viewed alongside data (to analyze car position, etc). With most phones this is done in real time when using medium quality video (i.e. it takes around 60 seconds to process the thumbnails from a 60 second course - usually done by the time you're back in the pits so you can review it on the spot)
-Breaks runs down into sections automatically, when comparing runs you can easily see where one run is faster/slower than the other
-Shows elevation for hillclimbing
-For double-driven cars, it switches the driver name on file automatically - no more forgetting to change between drivers in the menu system
-Exports video with overlay from the phone itself (so no manually syncing video and data streams)

Here is a video taken from the dash of a friend's Miata showing the video/data overlay (run starts at 0:29):
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXpP7deGTxs[/media]

It is still in the final testing stages, but is getting VERY close to being released. You can get more information from their website: www.petreldata.com
Old 05-17-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Very interesting, could fill quite a void left in the market when maxq fell off the map.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by KrazyKarl
Very interesting, could fill quite a void left in the market when maxq fell off the map.
That's what I thought at first, but it's SO much better than MaxQ it's not even funny. I used MaxQ up until the end of last year and really liked it, but this blows it out of the water, especially for quick "on the spot" analysis (which was MaxQ's strongest point, IMO)
Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If they can come up with a package that is all inclusive (and doesn't require an Android phone), I'd be interested.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:14 PM

Is it coming for the Iphone...
Old 05-17-2012, 08:21 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Am I reading the website correctly? $200 for the app?
Old 05-18-2012, 05:51 AM

Will it work with a phone that isn't currently activated on a cellular network?

What would be best used phone (or tablet, do any of those have cameras?) at a reasonable price to run this?
Old 05-18-2012, 05:58 AM

Charles- I believe the plan is to sell a package deal, but they're still working on sourcing OBD readers at a good price, but unfortunately an android device will be required. If you just want data (no video) or are creative enough with your mounting solution you can use a tablet. A couple guys have been testing the data-only tablet method and it's been working well for them.

Josh, no Iphone plans in the immediate future, unfortunately.

Afzan- yes, the price is $200 for the software, but this is a lot more powerful than your typical "app".
Old 05-18-2012, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by MattP
Will it work with a phone that isn't currently activated on a cellular network?

What would be best used phone (or tablet, do any of those have cameras?) at a reasonable price to run this?
Do non activated phones get GPS data for free? I don't think so.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2012, 06:03 AM

Yes, it will work on a non-activated phone from what I understand. I believe it's recommended to turn off the cellular radios (phone and data) while running the app anyway.

With regards to devices, I believe the Samsung Galaxy SII is recommended as an affordable solution which is plenty powerful and takes good video. Prices seem pretty decent on Ebay.

Quick Reply: New Solo-Specific Data Logger