S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

A lighter fw for a oem clutch, good idea?

Old 06-04-2012, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A lighter fw for a oem clutch, good idea?

thinking about swapping out my stage 3 f1 racing clutch out, and put back original oem.
wasnt sure if i should put a lighter fw in during this operation or should i just stick iwth a oem fw also.
would it affect the clutch and tranny if i have a lighter clutch in there? if not any suggestions? im thinking about something around 10-11 lb fw
Old 06-04-2012, 04:07 PM

I had a 9.5 lb flywheel with stock rsx-s clutch in my ep3 before it was stolen. The car felt better overall and wasn't difficult to drive unlike what some will lead to believe. The car came to a stop through rolling friction much quicker too due to less rotating inertia.

My S is getting a 9lb comp clutch fly with oem clutch setup right now plus an 06 ap2 tranny. Shop said it should be done tomorrow. I'm expecting a very revitalized ap1 when I get it back.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:14 PM

I am installing mine this week. I went with an AP1 flywheel which is considerably lighter than the stock AP2 flywheel. I did an oem disc, pilot and throwout bearing to prevent clutch buzz with an ACT HD Pressure Plate. I did alot of reading and heard good reviews on this setup. I am excited to get it installed this weekend. Good luck.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:34 PM

I cant comment about a lightweight flywheel in the s2000 but I had one in my older impreza rs and LOVED it. I autocrossed a lot and enjoyed how much faster the car would go through the revs and even just accelerate. I also agree that it wasnt difficult to drive at all but you just had to be aware it would rev much much much faster. I am looking forward to my clutch wearing out in the S so that I can put a lighter flywheel in it.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:25 PM

what will u guys recommend for the brand of flywheel ?
Old 06-05-2012, 04:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Competition, fidanza, Oem Ap1. Pic a weight, the lighter the better IMO. I ran a 11lb with a stock clutch for a while. Works awesome. When I get in a stock weight flywheel car now it just feels like somethings wrong. The cars were ment to rev quickly, the heavy flywheel is to help the NDB's of the world drive the car without stalling. NDB= no driving bastard for the uninformed. Beware they are everywhere.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:28 PM

Received 3,379 Likes on 2,454 Posts

I'm putting in an oem disc and ap2 pressure plate with the ACT pro-lite flywheel (just under 9 lbs). People that find lightweight flywheels hard to drive usually have high pressure pp's, with an oem setup it shouldn't be bad. I can't comment on my setup as it won't be running for a few weeks.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
I'm putting in an oem disc and ap2 pressure plate with the ACT pro-lite flywheel (just under 9 lbs). People that find lightweight flywheels hard to drive usually have high pressure pp's, with an oem setup it shouldn't be bad. I can't comment on my setup as it won't be running for a few weeks.
im thinking about putting in a 11 lb flywheel in there. not a ultra light one. shouldnt be that bad to drive. dont u think ?
Old 06-05-2012, 06:00 PM

Received 3,379 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by henrryxd
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1338942527' post='21757447
im thinking about putting in a 11 lb flywheel in there. not a ultra light one. shouldnt be that bad to drive. dont u think ?
should be fine, not a big difference than a typical ap1 setup. I think you will like it.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sandog
I am installing mine this week. I went with an AP1 flywheel which is considerably lighter than the stock AP2 flywheel. I did an oem disc, pilot and throwout bearing to prevent clutch buzz with an ACT HD Pressure Plate. I did alot of reading and heard good reviews on this setup. I am excited to get it installed this weekend. Good luck.
Bingo! Best bang for the buck set up.

Quick Reply: A lighter fw for a oem clutch, good idea?