Alabama S2000 Owners Club Areas including Huntsville, Birmingham, Florence, Decatur, Anniston, and Tuscaloosa

[Obsceneties], anyone have experience with soft-top repair?

Old 10-17-2013, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Obsceneties], anyone have experience with soft-top repair?

Anyone have some material I could use? Or suggestions on what to use?

One side has a small hole. Big enough to let light in, but not water. Other side there isn't a hole yet but it's visibly worn.

Less than 50k miles on the car. WTF, Honda?

You can also sell me a hardtop
Old 10-18-2013, 05:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I patched up the areas that either had a hole or was near to having one from the inside with some vinyl or canvas material. So far it has held up ok. I have also updated the top straps with the Modifry ones, which I believe helped tremendously.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used TearAid on mine. It worked for awhile. There are several patch kits out there, but eventually it all fails.

Pulling the soft top SUCKS! Ask me how I know.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:50 AM

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts

I have used permatex vinyl repair, and it has worked pretty well on small areas. I have some lager holes in the sides of the top of my white car that am using Black Gorilla tape on the inside and it is working well.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeallen
I have used permatex vinyl repair, and it has worked pretty well on small areas. I have some lager holes in the sides of the top of my white car that am using Black Gorilla tape on the inside and it is working well.
Gorilla tape gets hot and the glue from the tape bleeds through. It will also make the area super brittle....Ask me how I know. Still better than replacing a top for some small rips; just a heads up.

OP, You can probably post up in the WTB section and get some OEM material from a cut up top sent to you and then sew it in.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:52 PM

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by importkid
Originally Posted by jeallen' timestamp='1382118622' post='22834431
Gorilla tape gets hot and the glue from the tape bleeds through. It will also make the area super brittle....Ask me how I know. Still better than replacing a top for some small rips; just a heads up.

OP, You can probably post up in the WTB section and get some OEM material from a cut up top sent to you and then sew it in.

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2013, 05:07 PM
Former Moderator

Received 292 Likes on 271 Posts

Black t- shirt, contact cement from the inside. PM wilburs2k if you are near Montgomery for a new top. If you are near Huntsville it's. It a far drive to Nashville. We are both Honda master technicians,
Old 10-28-2013, 04:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Taking out it out sucks enough. No way I would do the cloth install.

I understand why Wilbur says the clutch is easier.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was a driving ad for "Tear Aid" for a year. It worked fairly well and was pleased how it held-up. I did sew up a few larger rips and then use Tear Aid.
Finally bit the bullet and had WilberS2K install a Robbins Black Canvas top.
It is really quiet now. Didn't realize how much wind noise from dozens of small slits.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used the permatex vinyl repair that John mentioned for years (he suggested that for me as well) and all I've had to do is re-apply it every once in a while.

Quick Reply: [Obsceneties], anyone have experience with soft-top repair?