Alabama S2000 Owners Club Areas including Huntsville, Birmingham, Florence, Decatur, Anniston, and Tuscaloosa

Bad Luck

Old 09-28-2004, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Luck

It's just like Tim Robbins' character said in The Shawshank Redemption - Bad luck floats around; it's gotta land on somebody.

Let's start off with the good part. I was able to get my S back last Friday.

Now the bad. Monday I found out that I am being nicely terminated from my job. I say nicely b/c they aren't firing me, they're letting me leave on my own. So, no more job at where I presently work.

I was on my way to Riverside from an interview in Montgomery and I just had to take Jasmine Hill Rd. I got throught he whole thing and on the last uphill turn, here comes a damn cop. Lights on immediately. F#*%. I still haven't taken the online driving school to keep the 4th of July's ticket from going on my record (I was on my way to P.C. Fl.). So I slow down to about 25mph and wait on the cop to turn around and catch up to me. He comes flying around the turn, I guess thinking I may have ran for it. I pull over that that little church with the gates. He asks me for my drivers license and proof of insurance. I said, "Well, you caught me on one of my drives." He said "You do this kind of thing often?" I said "Sure, why not. I was speeding, I understand that." He said "Well gues what? I'm not giving you a speeding ticket, I'm giving you a wreckless driving ticket. ou're gonna have your license suspended." While I was waiting, another cop pulls up in front of me. I guess the guy called for backup to try and prevent me from running b/c he parked in front of me. I know better than to run. Anyways, the second cop and I were talking and the first cop said that "I told him I do this kind of thing all the time." I didn't say that. So now I have to appear before a judge in Nov. I talked to my salesman up at Riverside and he said they probably won't take my license, but just give me a huge fine. That would be a good thing. After the cops told me to have a nice day, they made sure I heard their conversation. "Maybe the judge will take his license and give him a little jail time." I hope that's not possible. He even wrote on the ticket under Facts Relating to the Offense "Subject states this is normal driving." He twisted my words, I never admitted to anything, just said "Sure, why not." I understand I was kind of being a smartass, but I found it humorous that so much bad luck could hit me all at once.

So wish me luck guys, and don't wish me bad luck, b/c I'm having enough of that already this week.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:00 PM

Michael, sorry to hear the bad news. I've been very lucky in the S so far. Remember to always be humble around the police. You should have said that you were just driving around & found this newly paved curvy road & you just had to try your new car out. Or you could have just said nothing.

What would have been real fun would have been to offer the cop a ride.

Let me know what the fine is.

Tom
Old 09-28-2004, 04:29 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Talk about adding insult to injury, geeze. That sucks!

Sorry to hear it and I do wish you some good luck. You need it.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:54 AM

Does anyone know if I'm looking at possible jail time? What's the worst that could happen?
Old 09-30-2004, 09:28 PM
Former Moderator

Received 294 Likes on 273 Posts

I dunno man. Take your court date seriously, appearance does count. I wouldn't tell the judge you do this sort of thing all the time. See if you can research the Alabama law on wreckless driving. Good luck.

Now if myself or Tom gets pulled over in Wetumpka, we're screwed...............
Old 11-02-2004, 04:59 PM

Talking

Well, I went to court tonight for my reckless driving ticket. The judge was being very lenient on everyone, suprisingly so. He let a guy get away with driving while intoxicated with a revoked license and only fined him $100 for each ($200 plus court costs) I immediately thought there was no way this guy is going to take my license and/or give me jail time.

When I got up there he asked my age and some other questions and the cop told him he wrote me a reckless driving ticket b/c of such a high speed in a low zone, yada yada yada... When he told the story of how I spoke to him, he added words here and there to make me sound like I had no respect for the law and that I could care less about speeding or getting a ticket. I had to correct him in a few places, but he seemed to remember it right, just his version. He said I told him that "He finally caught me" and "Yeah, so, I drive like this all the time, I know I was speeding"... stuff like that. Definately twisted and added words. The judge told me that there was a minimum 10 day - 6 month jail time for reckless driving and asked me if I think I need to go to jail for this. Of course I told him no and that this was a one time thing because I had just gotten the car, I was just testing it out, and that I usually do the speed limit. He told me that was a dangerous road to speed on and fined me a total of $172.50 including court costs. I got off very easy, I believe. Oh, and the cop not asking me if my address was correct and not signing/writing his i.d. on the ticket? The judge seemed not to care, plus I saw his top copy, and guess what? His was completely filled out! He signed his and everything... I guess the carbon wasn't working when he signed his name and put his i.d. on the ticket... yeah right. I also asked if there was anything I could do to keep the points off my record and he said no. No harm in asking, right?

So that's the verdict. $172.50. 6 points on my driving record (I think.) No jail time, no suspended/revoked license. Drive slow guys. (riiiiiiiight.... )
Old 11-02-2004, 07:22 PM

Congrats.......I think!!
Old 11-03-2004, 03:22 AM

Michael, I want $100 for using my advice.

Getting off for just $172 was pretty lucky.

Tom
Old 11-04-2004, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Skip Ferrari,Nov 3 2004, 06:22 AM
Michael, I want $100 for using my advice.