Alabama S2000 Owners Club Areas including Huntsville, Birmingham, Florence, Decatur, Anniston, and Tuscaloosa

Credit card was fraudulently used...

Old 01-13-2012, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Credit card was fraudulently used...

A charge showed up on my credit card today that I didn't make, for $206.06. I received a voicemail from buy.com (where the order was placed) to confirm the shipping address and she gave me the reference number for the order. I looked up the reference number and got the address to where it was supposed to be shipped...

I'm not sure how buy.com got my phone number. I don't remember making any purchases online that wasn't through a major retailer like Newegg or Amazon, so I doubt the number was taken online, but I'll call buy.com when their support is open again to see if they can tell me how they got the phone number. Possibly they are able to get the owner's phone number from Visa? I also plan to call the apartment complex and see if I can squeeze any information out of them...

I have the address that it was intended to ship to, and it's in Mobile. Anyone have suggestions? I know it happens all the time, but if I can ruin some thief's day, I would like to.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jorsher
A charge showed up on my credit card today that I didn't make, for $206.06. I received a voicemail from buy.com (where the order was placed) to confirm the shipping address and she gave me the reference number for the order. I looked up the reference number and got the address to where it was supposed to be shipped...

I'm not sure how buy.com got my phone number. I don't remember making any purchases online that wasn't through a major retailer like Newegg or Amazon, so I doubt the number was taken online, but I'll call buy.com when their support is open again to see if they can tell me how they got the phone number. Possibly they are able to get the owner's phone number from Visa? I also plan to call the apartment complex and see if I can squeeze any information out of them...

I have the address that it was intended to ship to, and it's in Mobile. Anyone have suggestions? I know it happens all the time, but if I can ruin some thief's day, I would like to.

Much better than paypal calling me for 2600 bucks in camera equipment being shipped to Chicago IL. Depending on who you bank with they will probably take care of it.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:23 PM

It's taken care of, as far as canceling the card and getting the charge reversed. I just want to find out who did it.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:02 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would get all the info and report it to the police. I would think they would visit the people.

A few years ago a waitress used mine for "cash back" twice. I found it when I looked at my statement. Ruby Tuesday paid me back and she went to jail.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jorsher
It's taken care of, as far as canceling the card and getting the charge reversed. I just want to find out who did it.
Unfortunately, It is probably a lot harder to get a crooks personal information than it is for theirs to get yours. I wish people who stole others identity had to use their SSN for a licenses plate.

Originally Posted by CG
I would get all the info and report it to the police. I would think they would visit the people.

A few years ago a waitress used mine for "cash back" twice. I found it when I looked at my statement. Ruby Tuesday paid me back and she went to jail.
That is much more stand up than I would have ever expected Ruby Tuesday to be. I really hate thieves.