Allegheny S2000 Owners Club Western PA including, Pittsburgh, Erie, Western Maryland, Northern West Virginia, and Eastern Ohio

Flashing Lights

Old 07-02-2010, 05:09 AM
Community Organizer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing Lights

So I figured it might be fun to have a section where we can post up and discuss our runs in with flashing lights (be they good, bad, ugly, or indifferent.)

I will start with my encounter last night in the next post.

Please don't take this opportunity to just rail on the fine men and women who do their best to protect us. I just want a section where we can throw out what happened and leave it at that.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:19 AM
Community Organizer

Time: 10:15 PM on July 1st

Place: Murrysville, PA on Rt. 22 East

Charge: Driving Vehicle at Safe Speed (yes safe)

Nature of Offense: Actor drove his vehicle at a speed greater than is reasonable or safe (40 mph zone)

Story: I was coming back from a church event and a buddy and I were sitting side by side waiting to turn onto RT. 22 East. He joked about racing and I said no because there are tons of cops on RT 22 lately due to the whole Crackdown on the 2s initiative.

The light turns green and we both make the left turn. As soon as I straighten out I punch it the rest of the way through 1st, into 2nd, and let off as soon as I get to 3rd. The light infront of us turns red so I get off of the gas and let it coast.

Just after the light the cop pulls me over and my buddy is thinking what did I do?

After the whole license and registration bit the Officer comes back and goes "I got to ask what does NSX Lite mean (my plates)?" I explain and then he hands me my citation. I ask him how fast I was going and he informs me that he didn't clock (or pull me over for speeding) rather just observed me and I wasn't being safe.

The only thing we can figure out is that he must have heard the engine redline at 8k and assumed LOUD meant FAST. He even told me they are cracking down on speeders and to keep it with in 10 mph.

I would have given him traveling at 50mph in a 40 and thought "Ok I am guilty." However my friend swears to me that neither of us were speeding and the Officer told me that's not why he pulled me over.

The Officer said he has me on videotape so I am going to court just to see myself on video and request a copy as the evidence against me.

All in all I have done plenty of things that deserve to get me pulled over but I am not sure how I am "Driving at a Safe Speed" and then in the next line "driving (my vehicle) at a speed greater than is reasonable or safe."
Old 07-02-2010, 06:09 AM

Wow that sucks. "You're guilty - I think"!! I would definitely go to court on this one.
I however do not have any such stories because I always drive 10 miles under the posted limit
Old 07-02-2010, 07:04 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Jumpy Guy,Jul 2 2010, 06:09 AM
Wow that sucks. "You're guilty - I think"!! I would definitely go to court on this one.
Going to court for sure. I stopped by to drop of my not guilty plea in person (2 minutes from my house) and the clerk initially told me there were no points. She double checked and said "My mistake...2 if found guilty!"

I almost passed out. haha. For something so arbitrary as you weren't speeding but you were traveling at an unsafe speed any points let alone 2 seems high.

Oh well.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jumpy Guy,Jul 2 2010, 06:09 AM
I however do not have any such stories because I always drive 10 miles under the posted limit
I do believe that the fine for going 10 under is more then that of going 10 over....Pretty sure i saw that on COPS before
Old 07-03-2010, 07:45 AM

I picked up my s2000 in detroit back in february. I put the temp plates in the front window, because lets face it our rear window is so small putting anything on it would basically block out any visibility I might have left. So i made it back to Pittsburgh and picked up one of my friends to show him the car.

Top was down, about 40 degrees and we are driving around Nevillewood. I look in my rearview mirror and see a black sedan with a small red light near the rear view mirror. Basically at this point I knew I was being followed by a cop, and was about to be pulled over. I wasnt speeding, and sure enough 30 seconds later his lights come on.

I pull into a parking lot, and before the officer says anything i say to him, "I just bought the car, the temp is in the front window." He sees it and asks for my license, insurance, along with any other papers I have on me. I give him my Bill of sale, title, and another paper that I was given from Michigans DMV.

After it all checked out he started asking me about the car. How much i picked it up for, what year, how many miles, etc. Finally he tells me that the reason he pulled me over is he saw 2 kids in a sportscar with no plates, and the top was down in the middle of february. He said that was too many red flags, so he pulled me over to check my papers. He was a nice guy, and its officers like him that remind me that not all cops are out to screw you over.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by cpl9190,Jul 3 2010, 07:45 AM
He was a nice guy, and its officers like him that remind me that not all cops are out to screw you over.
Great story. I totally agree on the nice cop thing. I have had a few run ins before (DUI checkpoint, randoms stops, etc...) and as long as you give them respect and go out of your way to make them feel safe they always are kind in return.

I love the top down in Feb. part. If it is over 40 you have to drop the top here in the burgh..
Old 07-04-2010, 08:36 PM

Three years ago this Sept. I was putting along behind a VW GTI that was really dragging his feet. (45 mph in 55 zone). He would always speed up just as we reached a passing zone, and with on coming traffic, well, you don't have much chance to pass. After cresting a hill with a slow "S" bend in it that gave me a good line of site, I dropped into 3rd, vtec'd the car and passed him in a short passing zone that was about 100 yd long. I was hitting 85 when I was back in the proper lane and was still pulling away. About 3/4 of a mile down the road, I hear sirens, (still couldn't see the Smokey in the rearview mirror, but somehow I just knew he was after me. I pulled over to the side of the road, and waited.

The officer ask for all the papers, etc, and then he ask me just how fast I was going. I replied that I really didn't know how fast, but was sure I was well over the speed limit, and that all I really wanted to do was past the GTI. He told me that he had his gun on the GTI, who he said was acellerating, when all of a sudden I busted out around him. He admitted to dropping the gun (Utterly stunned at speed of the pass), when he had recovered, I was gone! He said the last thing he saw on the gun was 65, and that was what he would ticket me for.

After that, the officer and I spent the better part of 15 min. talking about the car and it's amazing handling qualities. He was seriously considering buying one, but wasn't sure his 6ft plus frame would sit too easily. I offered him a test drive, but he declined. Ya gotta love a cop who is also a car guy.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Community Organizer

My day in Court is tomorrow. Kinda of nervous. Wish me luck!
Old 11-08-2010, 02:42 AM

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

good luck!

Quick Reply: Flashing Lights