Allegheny S2000 Owners Club Western PA including, Pittsburgh, Erie, Western Maryland, Northern West Virginia, and Eastern Ohio

SCCA Track Night in America

Old 05-17-2015, 03:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shind3
It's a low budget setup.

Android phone + RaceChrono + QStar 818XT 10Hz GPS + ELM 327 Bluetooth OBD2. Total cost if you already have an Android phone is about $100. With this I can also load the data into RaceLogic's Circuit Tools and analyse it on a computer.

If you also want video with your phone, you can get a suction mount and install it on the rear wind deflector or windshield. Or if you already have a GoPro you can use RaceChrono to control it. Either approach gets your video synchronized automatically.

It's easy to setup at the track too. I just hit 'Start' in the app, select the track which is preprogrammed in, and just drive. The app will automatically start recording once it detects you've crossed the start/finish so you can start it before getting to the pits etc.

I am completely satisfied with all of its capabilities.

EDIT - I installed a Miata front sway bar at the rear today and even in street driving it already feels way more responsive. I'm hoping on track it will be mostly neutral with just a hint of understeer. We'll find out on June 9th I guess.
Great, thanks! I would not want anything too crazy since I have only been getting out once or twice a year. So that would be perfect.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:32 PM

Its not SCCA Track Night, but Saturday there is a PDE Day at Pitt Race. I just signed up this afternoon and got my car ready this evening.

I saw another S2K on the list, anyone from here?
Old 05-29-2015, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by S2000Beers
Its not SCCA Track Night, but Saturday there is a PDE Day at Pitt Race. I just signed up this afternoon and got my car ready this evening.

I'll be there for the EcoBoost challenge thing with my girlfriend and my dad, I'll keep an eye out for you.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:08 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000Beers

I might be there for the EcoBoost thing too. I'll bring my telemetry setup with me if you want to try it out for a session. i signed up for the 2PM slot but I can come a bit early.

What time do you expect to do your last session? And do you do a session about once per hour?
Old 05-29-2015, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by StreetOne
Originally Posted by shind3' timestamp='1431811346' post='23615177
EDIT - I installed a Miata front sway bar at the rear today and even in street driving it already feels way more responsive. I'm hoping on track it will be mostly neutral with just a hint of understeer. We'll find out on June 9th I guess.
I've been seriously considering doing this setup with mine but I just got a new set of tires and bumped up to the more common 225/255 stagger so I want to test the feel of that first. Are you still on stock suspension otherwise?
Yeah, stock suspension otherwise though with a slightly bigger cheapo front sway bar. $80 brand new, lol. 30mm solid. 225/255 RS3s. And of course, the NC Miata sway bar.

With the stock rear and stock front bar, the car had too much oversteer I thought. But maybe with the stock rear and slightly bigger 30mm up front, it would be good. If I think the car still understeers too much with the Miata rear and 30mm front bar, I guess I'll put the stock rear back on and have the Miata bar for you to try on.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by S2000Beers' timestamp='1432863148' post='23628506

I might be there for the EcoBoost thing too. I'll bring my telemetry setup with me if you want to try it out for a session. i signed up for the 2PM slot but I can come a bit early.

What time do you expect to do your last session? And do you do a session about once per hour?
Thanks for the offer! But I will be done by then. I wrap up by noon.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:09 PM

Yeah, stock suspension otherwise though with a slightly bigger cheapo front sway bar. $80 brand new, lol. 30mm solid. 225/255 RS3s. And of course, the NC Miata sway bar.

With the stock rear and stock front bar, the car had too much oversteer I thought. But maybe with the stock rear and slightly bigger 30mm up front, it would be good. If I think the car still understeers too much with the Miata rear and 30mm front bar, I guess I'll put the stock rear back on and have the Miata bar for you to try on.
I know you're stock front bars are smaller than the AP1's, so putting your stock rear might actually work out for you. Since I'm working from the stock AP1 bars I've been looking into the Miata rear bar or actually the CR bar since you can actually get it for less than $130 with bushings from Honda. I like the oversteer I get now, but I feel like just a little less would make it right where I want it.

Don't know if you saw this or not but it's a good read: Characterization of the OE Suspension Springs
Old 05-30-2015, 05:12 PM

Awesome time today at the PDE day. The weather held out for me and the car ran great. Felt great to hit the track since I have not been out since 2013.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully those of you doing the eco boost challenge didn't mind me parking next to you in the 4x4 DD...I left space :-)

Awesome to hear the PDE worked out. It was an odd weather day not too far south from Pitt Race.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:34 AM

Anyone else going this Tuesday, June 9th?

Quick Reply: SCCA Track Night in America