Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

SCCA AutoX event 9/8

Old 08-07-2013, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCCA AutoX event 9/8

Anybody planning on going?
At Bondurant West pad on 9/8
This will be my first event so any tips are welcomed.
But from my understanding its $40 if you pre-register as a non-member which includes a weekend membership
Old 08-07-2013, 11:17 AM

I just got my car aligned to UK specs and my N+'s adjusted so thats a start.
I am currently on 215/45/17 Kumhos and 245/40/17 Ventus V4's and was gonna get some better tires before I go but I guess I might as well burn up the ones I have while I get used to the car and learn.
What tire sizes would be best for AutoX when I do upgrade?
Is it worth it to upgrade to some Stoptech pads and SS lines/better fluid or just wear down my oem ap2 pads first

Depending on how into it I get I may upgrade my N+'s to Fortune auto 500's.
Also would you guys recommend me go to Bondurant for my first time or try to make it out to the p1/musselman on 8/24?

Sorry for so many questions. Just want some advice and to be pointed in the right direction.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:34 AM

Musselman is a very small track like for go karts/motorcycles and is 2.5 hours away. I would say do bondurant west for your first track day.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by sativa lover
Musselman is a very small track like for go karts/motorcycles and is 2.5 hours away. I would say do bondurant west for your first track day.
Thanks I was just reading more on that and realized how small it is. My friend will most likely be going with me with his '10 s4 so that definitely wont work for him very well lol.

I'm also open to any events but Sundays work best for me. I'm also a little biased to Bondurant.
I just now saw there's a thread on track days. I looked at the stickies and didn't see the thread there and assumed it would be there if there is one.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:23 PM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

My advice if you arent an experienced auto crosser or track driver is to just drive the car the way it is! Save your money and don't go buy new parts for the car until you have enough experience and decide its something that you want to do on a regular basis. Make sure you have air in your tires, fresh fluids and go have fun. Just focus on your driving.

It is far easier to learn the car and its limits on the tires you have as opposed to some extreme or high performance tires. The better the tires, the higher the limits which get harder and harder to approach unless you are experienced.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by adrs2k
My advice if you arent an experienced auto crosser or track driver is to just drive the car the way it is! Save your money and don't go buy new parts for the car until you have enough experience and decide its something that you want to do on a regular basis. Make sure you have air in your tires, fresh fluids and go have fun. Just focus on your driving.

It is far easier to learn the car and its limits on the tires you have as opposed to some extreme or high performance tires. The better the tires, the higher the limits which get harder and harder to approach unless you are experienced.
perfect thanks. I just got a valve adjustment done and plan on doing trans/diff fluid and oil all before I go.
Also the car is just a weekend car and isn't driven much at all so I don't mind if I upgrade to less practical pads or tires for road use. I'll just wear down the tires I have now and then upgrade to some re11's or star specs. Any advice on what size tires would be ideal?
Old 08-07-2013, 01:17 PM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

225/45/17 and 255/40/17 are ideal. Probably go with Dunlop ZII or RE11A.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by adrs2k
225/45/17 and 255/40/17 are ideal. Probably go with Dunlop ZII or RE11A.
Sweet thats what I was thinking.

Thanks for your help
Old 08-07-2013, 04:48 PM

I should be there in my green 98' 4 dr M3. I'm sure we'll bump into each other. I can show you around, ride with you, give pointers if wanted, walk the course with you, you can ride with me and so on. I've helped out a few new S2000 guys in the past.

only prep for the even you really need
1.) make sure you not leaking any fluids and your ball joints aren't going bad
2.) bring an open mind and be ready to learn
3.) air up your stock tires to 40psi front and 34psi rear. You'll need the extra pressure front to keep the front from rolling over too much
4.) torque down your wheels to spec
5.) make sure you have the oil full and or near full
6.) bring some water and maybe a bite to eat but there is usually a hotdog truck there

helmets are available there from the club

See you there!

What are N+s?? Buddy club shocks?
don't adjust their height, whatever you do b/c that will change the alignment. Keep the knobs where you have them for daily driving. I can speak with you about adjustments there if you want.

Brakes - I autocrossed my AP2 with AP2 pads for 2 years. never needed more for safety or overheating.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by berny2435
I should be there in my green 98' 4 dr M3. I'm sure we'll bump into each other. I can show you around, ride with you, give pointers if wanted, walk the course with you, you can ride with me and so on. I've helped out a few new S2000 guys in the past.

only prep for the even you really need
1.) make sure you not leaking any fluids and your ball joints aren't going bad
2.) bring an open mind and be ready to learn
3.) air up your stock tires to 40psi front and 34psi rear. You'll need the extra pressure front to keep the front from rolling over too much
4.) torque down your wheels to spec
5.) make sure you have the oil full and or near full
6.) bring some water and maybe a bite to eat but there is usually a hotdog truck there

helmets are available there from the club

See you there!

What are N+s?? Buddy club shocks?
don't adjust their height, whatever you do b/c that will change the alignment. Keep the knobs where you have them for daily driving. I can speak with you about adjustments there if you want.

Brakes - I autocrossed my AP2 with AP2 pads for 2 years. never needed more for safety or overheating.
Perfect! Just what I was looking for
Yeah buddy Club N+ coilovers. My car is at SOS getting my suspension tuned and aligned to UK specs. I told them I don't care where the ride height is at but that I want the car set up for optimum handling and that I'd leave it up to them. My oil only has 1k on it (done by the dealer I got it from before purchase) but I plan on changing the oil, diff,and trans fluids before going. Just had a valve adjustment done as well since I do not have proof of when any of that was done.

I will make sure to have plenty of oil to make sure I don't starve the engine since obviously I dont have a baffled oil pan. I didn't think about it until after the post but Ravi informed me that I do not need a roll bar for autoX. Depending how things go, I will determine what mods will be good for me. I just read a very long thread as to the transformation of an s2000 from a stock car to a great track car (yellow ap1).

But thanks. I would love to have you ride along and ride along with you. My main reason for wanting to autoX is to familiarize myself with the cars limits, become a better driver and to have fun. I do need to practice heel/toe shifting and plan on practicing a little before going but I doubt I'll try it out there.
Car is mechanically stout. I will just make sure my battery is secure as it can get, remove anything unnecessary from the car, inflate tires, torque wheels, etc.

I have a few friends who have always wanted to AutoX but never seriously looked into it so I'm pushing to have them join or come out to future events. Am I correct that it's $40 if you preregister and are a non member? (which includes weekend pass). As long as everything goes like I anticipate I'll just purchase a membership. I plan to go out every 2-3 months whenever there are Sunday events.

Quick Reply: SCCA AutoX event 9/8