Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

September Drive

Old 08-10-2004, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face September Drive

We need to start looking at dates in September for a drive. Except for labor day weekend September 4 and 5 the month is open.

Here are some options (we are open to suggestions too):
-Sedona (including Jerome and Oak Canyon) - full day
-Pinetop/Lakeside (Salt River Canyon) - full day
-Wood's Canyon Lake - 3/4 day
-Tortilla Flats - 1/2 day for lunch

Please post when you are interested in driving and where! I'd like to get this set up before the Megameet.

Thanks!

-Jordan

P.S. to Tucson (Tanner, et al) - give me some ideas for November, January and February where we can head south again!
Old 08-11-2004, 12:54 PM

I can't do the 11th or 25th.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by walkabt,Aug 10 2004, 08:53 PM
P.S. to Tucson (Tanner, et al) - give me some ideas for November, January and February where we can head south again!
hehe obviously someone read my mind.

i may have some more ideas later, but there's a few things that cross my mind:
- out there west of I-10 on speedway goes through the mountains with lots of twisties and a good view. it'll take you to the desert museum. of course, it's only one lane so it's a PITA if someone slow gets in our way.

- old spanish trail (it's a road) is pretty cool. again, lots of twisties. nice, hole in the wall restaurant to stop at too (used to be called Web's, but it's got new ownership now). sahuaro nat'l park out there, but i'm not sure what, if anything, there is to do there. i'll have to check.

- kartchner caverns and tombstone, of course.

- hiking in the dragoon. never been out there, but my old search and rescue team always got calls from dumb arses who couldn't hack the trails.

- got benson down there. in fact, that's a hell of a road too. you go one way in which is all kinds of turns and a tunnel. the other way out is flat, open road you can see for miles (aka look for cops). i used to travel it with my R6 back in the day to see what she was made of. i hit 151 before i had enough. of course, she still have more to give. i know ... too fast, but if you saw this road and how flat, straight, and open it is, you may agree that if there's no traffic this is a great place to safely test your car if you don't have a track. in benson is lots of tourist stuff, a small museum, restaurants and the like. in fact, i don't remember you all ever organizing a run down there before. may be promising.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:33 PM

I'm still new to AZ, but those sound like good ideas to me
Old 08-25-2004, 01:32 PM

Hey Jordan, I think *someone* (cough, cough, Tanner, cough) should look into a Kartchner Caverns Big Room tour in 2-3 months down the road (because of the advanced booking required). It would make a nice fall/winter drive. I saw a spread on the Big Room in AZ Highways and it looks pretty cool!
Old 08-25-2004, 01:40 PM

lol look at how the man instantly passes the buck this way. seeing that i have yet to make a drive with the club, i'm a bit out of my element, but wherever you need a hand, jordan, let me know, and i'll do my best.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:18 PM

I think Zonie should do it since we scheduled it for him, then he backed out, and left us hanging (no cough)...

Old 08-26-2004, 08:15 AM

OOPS. Sorry, forgot about that little detail. Actually, we wouldn't have gotten in to the Big Room anyway. Lee found out it books WAY in advance.

I can certainly check into it if you guys want, but with it already being September (mostly) and with Devil's in October, I'd have to either try for Nov or the holiday months (Dec/Jan) or later. I'd hate to have a cool drive like that fall during the holidays because I suspect turnout would prolly suffer.

Tanner, since you're local (and since I'm in Boise Idaho for the next month or so) would you mind making the call just to find out if it's even possible to get a tour for 15-20 people in November? Also please find out what months they run the Big Room tour (I think they stop just before Spring, but I'm not sure).

Thanks,
zone-meister

P.S. Jordan, let's hope I don't get stuck out here like I did in Austria, or I might be bailing on Devil's also...<no cough>
Old 08-26-2004, 04:34 PM

This drive is best for March or April, IMHO.

So still need something for September...
Old 08-27-2004, 11:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

well, when you guys figure something out, I might go...

Quick Reply: September Drive