Ark-La-Tex S2000 Owners Covering Arkansas, Louisiana, and East Texas

"Valet Only Parking"

Old 08-18-2003, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Valet Only Parking"

Going to New Orleans, Thursday evening 'til Saturday afternoon. Just the wife and I. She wants to take the S2K. I called the Marriott on Canal St., where we are staying. They have enclosed garage with "valet only parking". Not to comfortable with this. I have never experienced, but have heard many a horror story associated with valet parking. Anyone else valet parked your S2K before?
Anyway around the "valet only" part?
Old 08-19-2003, 04:58 AM

As bad as New Orleans is with parking... this is probably your best bet. Just note your miles.

With the quality of the roads in NO and the stiffness of the S2K I would check to make sure you don't have any loose fillings before you make your trip!

I have actually parked my S2K in an open parking lot during a Monday night Saints game and all was good. I was nervous though.

What I don't like about NO parking garages is that there is only about 3 inches between each car!!! With it being valet parking the valets will probably be a little more observant of that and not ding the hell out of doors.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no... never valet'ed the S before... i'd do a check on the mileage at least, maybe even write it down on a post it and stick it to the dash so the valet knows you're watching.

but honestly if i were in the situation, i'd ask the valet where i should park it... if he wouldn't tell me -- i'd drop off the wife, tell the valet to get in, and have HIM show you were to park it... and if they won't allow that, i'd jump over to the passenger side if he HAS to park it. i guess in some ways it depends upon who the valet is...

and if those absolutely won't fly (ie. non-employees aren't allowed beyond this point due to insurance, yadda yadda yadda), send him off to park it and let him know you are waiting for the keys. that will at least prevent a Ferris Bueller... and i doubt the valet will park so far away that you won't hear the car the entire time... (no zoom zoom)

i dunno... i've NEVER liked anyone parking any of my cars. i'm sure valets have laughed at me b/c i wouldn't let them park my Saturn... about the only time i've ever really used valet parking is when i'm travelling on business, and i let them park the rental.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:21 AM

I didn't have a problem with joy riding when I had to valet park my S but I did have to watch him add 6 inches of curb rash to my brand new Volk GT-C as he turned the corner from his station. They have since cut me a check for replacement of the wheel but it sure made any heartache concerning valet parking very real for me!

I hope that you have MUCH better luck than I did with your experience.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:45 AM

Ok guys here is the trick.. We have TWO trips on our car and this comes in handy.. Leave Trip A alone for whatever you need it for. Now when you valet.. Or bring it to a mechanic.. Switch to trip B. Reset Trip B and then switch to trip A. So when the valet/mechanic takes the car you have on your car PROOF how much the car was driven when you left it. Also since you are displaying trip A the valet/mechanic doesnt know your testing him. Ahhhh Im soooo sneaky... BTW I have never valet parked my car Im still toooooo cautious. I park in an empty car lot when I go to NO. My sister works at the LSUHSC so I get to use that garage which is always empty. Hey S2K_LA you have saints season tics?? If so where at?
Old 08-19-2003, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nosman
[B]I didn't have a problem with joy riding when I had to valet park my S but I did have to watch him add 6 inches of curb rash to my brand new Volk GT-C as he turned the corner from his station.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:55 AM

I have valet'd my S probably 10 times in NO. Most of the time it has been at nice restaurants, and often the attendent has offered to park it in a special place. If they don't, I request they do. Some have even kept it out in front of the place with orange cones around it - pretty impressive if you are on a first date.

OTherwise, just watch your miles. I usually determine whether to valet or not by the place that I am going, if its pretty upscale & tend to trust them more b/c they deal with benz's and BMWs, etc, if its a joint that anyone just goes to I tend to just find a safe place to park it myself.

(I have also had a guy come to my table at a restuarant to ask how to start it, so you might want to ask if he's driven one b4 & if not, tell him about the red dot)

Goodluck.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:05 AM

I've valet parked the S numerous times. I've never had a problem unless you count the time a very busy valet had to run back about 75 yards to ask me how to start the car.

If you are going to valet often and are worried about joyriding you can do what I did. Get Modifry's shift indicator. You can switch it to a valet setting and when the engine revs above a certain point (mine is set at 5200) a buzzer SCREAMS inside your car. I guarantee whoever is driving will let off the gas immediately as soon as it goes off. Once below the set RPMs, no more sound. Works great.

David
Old 08-19-2003, 02:28 PM

I have to valet fairly frequently for meetings a restaurants in the quarter. (and no, everyone has their clothes on.... )

never had a problem yet. it is probably a matter of time. just keep an eye out for the not responsible disclaimer.

Besides, I would rather risk a ding or curb rash than a slashed tire or top. (none of which, knock on wood has happened)
Old 08-19-2003, 06:12 PM

I hate to grow feathers and start to cluck, but the ole minivan is looking like it may be the love express to the Big Easy. It already has more dings than the dimpled cellulite legs of every female guest on the JERRY SPRINGER show. Well maybe it ain't that bad. Still the wife has never really worried about where she parks it.

Quick Reply: "Valet Only Parking"