Asia S2000 Owners English speaking owners from Asia. Including Hong Kong, China, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan.

Q&A: Speed Management Systems in Japan

Old 10-29-2002, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q&A: Speed Management Systems in Japan

"All you wanted to know about Speed Management Systems in Japan, but were too afraid to ask."......................

I have to thank my GF again for finding this excellent site regarding the rules of the road and what is out there. The information was last updated in Summer 2002.

http://rjq.jp/t-rules

Put this site through Babelfish™ and you will get an idea of the contents. There were some very poor translations e.g. "ORBIS" (name of the speed trap systems) were translated into "O SCREW". What an amusing coincidence!

Seriously, it explains the various speed traps, penalty system, advice and so on.
e.g. Did you know that there is a magnetic loop coil system that does not use radar? It is becoming more popular these days especially in Tokyo.

At present, I am working through a decent translation and this will take time.

Post your queries, experiences and advice here!

AT
Old 10-30-2002, 12:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good topic -

we should also post any proven suitable excuses that local traffic cops will accept.

I have seen significant difference in the penalty imposed, from people walking away from 160km/h stops on the highway (including drinking) with just a warning to people having one night in jail without telephone etc.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone that I know that has actually been pulled over has been ticketed !

Any info on decent excuses to use ??
Old 11-05-2002, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by tokyo_james
Everyone that I know that has actually been pulled over has been ticketed !

Any info on decent excuses to use ??
I want to know too. The excuse of not being able to speak Japanese hardly ever works anymore.

Saw and heard lots of accidents over the weekend. It was raining all over the Hokuriku area. I believe rain and lack of driver adaptation to weather conditions were to blame.
Just some examples:
Saw an EVOVII that had sped into a lamp post and then ditched into a rice field. It was on the local news and a 2 year old kid had perished in this accident. Father was okay

MX-5/ Miata lost control at crossroads and mashed the drivers side on impact against the barriers. Driver was ok. Pride and joy wrecked.

20 or so car pile up on the Hokuriku express way on the same day I was driving back to Tokyo. Luckily I was not caught up in this in.

The S was twitchy through puddles on the highway during heavy rain. Experienced snow on stock tyres again. It's fun if you like the back end sliding about. Nagano was gorgeous with snow falls too. However, I am relieved to be back in Tokyo in one piece. It will be Spring 2003 before I consider taking the baby back to the mountains
Old 11-07-2002, 12:52 AM

I think you need to have an impressive business card - and a good location where you claim to live, apparently some Police are worried that you are well connected.

one of the guys said that the Police man was pushing him - but eventually let him off after a lot of . They were driving un-marked patrol cars - and suddenly came up behind when he was pushing against the speed limiter.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kobe
[B]I think you need to have an impressive business card - and a good location where you claim to live,
Old 12-01-2002, 06:11 PM

As the festive season hits us so will end of year parties = bonenkai", the JP police will be out there doing spot checks for drink driving. This particular cocktail doesn't mix well.

Take care and watch out for others who may be under the influence
Old 12-18-2002, 04:05 AM

it's a 300,000 yen fine and also for the passengers too!
Old 12-19-2002, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by Kobe
it's a 300,000 yen fine and also for the passengers too!

People used to get away with a beer or two in their system.

I understand the law has changed in recent months and is enforcing strictly no drink driving policy now.