Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

AGHHH! Got my exhaust put on but experiencing HP lost!!

Old 07-21-2003, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AGHHH! Got my exhaust put on but experiencing HP lost!!

Ok. Just got the exhaust (HKS Dual) installed by OZZY since no one opens on Sunday but anyway drove the car around, loved the sound especially Vtec. Then when I'm reaching top speed the car starts to hesitate and the rev doesn't want to climb. It feels like the exhaust is abit blocked. Well took it back to Ozzy, they said it was nothing to do with the installation since it was from the cat back only. They said it might be the exhaust so took it to Fussy's Exhaust and they took it for a test drive, they said they have to pull apart the exhaust. The car said that Vtec didn't kick in. The car feels like it has lost alot of power especially when on the high gear. Anything like this happen to you guys??? I'm really really worried at the moment. Oh yeah forgot to mention that I just got the car serviced this Saturday.Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-21-2003, 03:23 AM

If you said the sound changed at VTEC then VTEC ON was not a problem.

I have done a lot of research on this exhaust before as I was tossing up betweent this zorst and the Remus. I have never ever heard of any good post about the power gain of the HKS zorst. Most ppl tend to mention that they will get the exhaust and will dyno etc etc and never post the result. I even PMed a few ppl in the US without any success. I checked with a number of supplier for a dyno result and again NO DYNO I am not surprised if this exhuast caused your power loss.

It came to my conclusion a long time ago that after market exhaust on the S is a poor value for money in term of power gain.
The sound of the HKS is, however, considered as the best exhaust by most ppl. Exhaust sound however is not my cup of tea.

Good luck with your hiccup. I hope this help
Old 07-21-2003, 03:25 AM

My only suggestion, which is illegal and you may end up $10,000 lighter, is remove your cat or use a highflow cat.
I think David mentioned that there is some gain here
Old 07-21-2003, 03:35 AM

an extractor will net you more gain compared to a zorst
Old 07-21-2003, 03:40 AM

Which one would you prefer tangy?
Old 07-21-2003, 04:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Guys, if you buy an exhaust for the power gain you are wasting your money.

That said, if you're buying it for the sound you still don't expect to lose power.

Originally posted by honda9krpm
If you said the sound changed at VTEC then VTEC ON was not a problem.
I interpreted TTM to be saying that the sound above 6000 is different now to what it was above 6000 before the exhaust. Hence the 'no VTEC' thing.

TTM, I think your problem is VTEC not engaging. The question is: WHY?

I guess a blocked exhaust could be sensed by the ECU and it not trigger the VTEC solenoid, but I doubt that's the problem. Check your oil level.

Perhaps take it to the installer, get it up on the hoist, disconnect the exhaust at the cat and fire it up. It'll be loud. Real loud! See if VTEC engages. I doubt if it'll go much above 7500 without VTEC.

If it goes into VTEC then it's the exhaust. Pull it apart and clean that rat out of it. If it doesn't put it back together and head back to the dealer who serviced it.

Damn I love doing my own work on my car. Imagine paying some clown to stuff it up when you can stuff it up yourself for nix.

BTW, I have the Hitech exhaust. Cost me $400 and about half an hour under my car. Guaranteed 25Kw of rice power, and loads of noise
Old 07-21-2003, 05:22 AM

Try asking someone with HKS

http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/vivisect/P...S2000/start.htm

Hope everything works out fine...
Old 07-21-2003, 06:44 AM

I'd still love to hear it tothemaxx
Old 07-21-2003, 07:22 AM

Hi , as you know Tothemax I have the HKS system and am very happy with it and at no stage did I ever experience the problem your talking about .Yes the gains are low but the music is great.
Wayne could be right about the problem , let me know if you want some help with it . We'll try and get 26 Kw out of it
Old 07-21-2003, 07:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

LOL That's Rice-o-Watts

Quick Reply: AGHHH! Got my exhaust put on but experiencing HP lost!!