Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Apexi Evolution R exhaust with Berk HFC

Old 04-03-2013, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apexi Evolution R exhaust with Berk HFC

Fellow s2ki forum members - lend me your ears!

I just recently put on an apexi evolution R dual muffler exhaust. This exhaust was advertised as being a somewhat 'quieter' exhaust in the apexi range so i thought i'd have something which was a bit louder and change the note a bit. It gets a lot louder with dual 115mm mufflers. I must say at the start it was great, but as a daily driver when your just putting around town the low down rpm drone is annoying, especially going up hills. It is loud enough that the cops would hassle you too although i've been ok so far.

I ordered a Berk HFC at the same time as the exhaust and when that arrived i thought i'll pop it on a see what its like; you know its only a high flow cat not a straight thru/test pipe how much worse could it get? well with this exhaust combination and HFC it is very loud, too loud for my liking.

Rather then take it off i'm going to try the apexi active tail silencers (ATS). These have a spring loaded valve and apparently work great at low revs but at full throttle open up and sound allright. If these turn out to be crap, i'll definitely be removing the high flow cat or maybe even just going back to stock exhaust.

If anyone is around doncaster and is thinking about doing a similar setup i'd be happy to show you what this exhaust and HFC combination is like and you can then decide what route you want to go down. Its a real ferrari/f1 noise hehe
Old 04-03-2013, 04:01 AM

perhaps berk HFC with certain/quieter aftermarket exhausts or stock exhaust might be ok, if you want F1 sound go for it.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:43 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjEgJ...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-10-2013, 05:30 AM

I fitted the apexi ATS silencers today (here is a link if anyone wants to see what they look like - http://apexi-usa.com/shop/index.php/...-silencer.html).

It has quietened down the exhaust a lot, no drone what so ever now. Below VTEC it would be around stock noise levels with a slightly altered note. It has better back pressure now so its actually much more responsive in low/mid range; the performance was poor in this area prior to the silencers being fitted. I hope that the petrol consumption is going to be better now because it was chewing heaps of fuel before running very rich. At full throttle the spring loaded part in the silencer opens up and there doesn't appear to be any noticeable power loss and the sound is still suppressed at WOT so its not a screamer anymore.

At low revs all the drone is completely eliminated. fitting was simple, just a single bolt.

I guess the only downside is that the exhaust looks like a blender from the back with the silencer design, but perhaps I can spray paint it black or wait for it to get carboned up. The good thing is you can easily remove them if you wanted to have it loud again for a while.

I'd highly recommend the ATS to anyone who wants to quieten their exhaust down. It comes in a 90mm and 115mm size, and there are also 100/120mm adapters available and I believe it has been successfully fitted to non-apexi exhausts as well.