S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

exhaust resonators

Old 02-16-2012, 05:58 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default exhaust resonators

it is my understanding that a straight through exhaust can have a resonator welded in, i am assuming this can be done by any muffler shop and they will cut the exhaust in half and weld in this "resonator"???????
First, WTF does it actually do? just change the tone?????????
Any performance negatives of adding one???? i assume you would lose hp just like adding a cat??????
is there different sizes resonators?? if so how do you go about choosing one???
Does it matter where exactly it is welded in?? I am looking at the Berk 3inch with test pipe option exhaust but i am not a fan on the Harley crackle sound when letting off the gas, the videos i have seen with a resonator seem to have much better sound.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:37 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

It all depends on how its made. They should be put on the exhaust as far forward as possible. If it has any packing, then it will burn out over time and get louder. Some don't change the tone at all, all they do is make it a little bit quieter.
I have used a Moroso race muffler(that has no packing to burn out) on a couple of cars(not a S2000) and I was happy at what it did for my exhaust. It didn't change the tone at all but it did take about 4 or 5 maybe 6 db's off of my exhaust. It won't make a bad sounding exhaust sound good, but if it sounds good then it will still sound good, just make it a little bit quieter. They flow 850cfm so thats a lot, unless your running 20psi of boost you won't tax that muffler.
http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=35054
You can get them at Summit for about $55
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...0muffler&dds=1

ROD
Old 02-17-2012, 12:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Generally quiets it up a bit, may change the tone a tad depending on the quality of the material used. Why would it lose hp like a cat, when there's no core? You want it basically, right after the cat/test pipe. You choose one based on the size of all your other piping, by the inlet/outlet.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's surprising how much a resonator does impact performance. The size, type, and location will all change the torque curve. It even changes your ideal fuel curve, since it will move the "resonant hump". However, it makes the most difference if the resonant hump or resonant dip occur above the VTEC engagement point. The overall impact can be as significant as a catalytic converter. Part of the reason why stock S2000's can't have VTEC engage below 5600 RPMs is due to the stock resonator.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:49 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

what is the "resonant hump"
my car will be stock with the exception of the exhaust.....
Old 02-18-2012, 01:05 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

interesting...
Old 02-18-2012, 11:13 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gernby
It's surprising how much a resonator does impact performance. The size, type, and location will all change the torque curve. It even changes your ideal fuel curve, since it will move the "resonant hump". However, it makes the most difference if the resonant hump or resonant dip occur above the VTEC engagement point. The overall impact can be as significant as a catalytic converter. Part of the reason why stock S2000's can't have VTEC engage below 5600 RPMs is due to the stock resonator.
are you talking about the helmholtz resonator or the canister type resonator on the stock exhaust on an s2k? Do you think there is any harm in removing the canister type resonator on a stock exhaust?
Old 02-19-2012, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a reasonator instead of a cat. It is just a perforated tube inside a canister. Will this create a reasonant hump and impact performance as much as a cat?
Old 02-19-2012, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your stock exhaust has a resonator after the cat allready then it runs to the mufflers.

most street version aftermarket exhaust will also have a resonator right after the cat/test pipe area.

the race versions are just cat testpipe back to the muffler w/o a resonator can. these are also the loudest.

the resonator is just another way to quiet up your motor but can also rob you of a few hp.

theres no reason to change a anything on a stock exhaust. just get a test pipe if you want more flow and dont have to worry about emisions.

or heck get a aftermarket exhaust, dont buy into those gimmicks.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The stock exhaust doesn't have a Helmholtz resonator. It just has a closed-ended branch resonator and an expantion chamber resonator. I haven't studied the impact of the closed ended branch ducts on torque. Removing the expansion chamber resonator from the stock exhaust would probably degrade performance a bit if you have the stock tune, since it will reduce the intensity of your VTEC kick. However, if you have lowered your VTEC engagement, then removing that resonator will help smooth out the midrange by eliminating the resonant dip at about 5K that the resonator contributes to.

I tested some implimentations of resonated test pipes, and found that they performed very similarly to an HFC. I believe there's no reason to run one.