Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

AUS S2ki Meet (11/11/2001)

Old 11-11-2001, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by suit36

have done that run many a time in anything from supercharged MX-5 through to a worked 2002tii and felt better balance...time to consider stiffening up the rear of the S2k...
Can you explain what it is you don't like about the rear end, and why stiffening it would help? Is it oversteer?

In the other thread that Aus mentioned we were wondering about something very similar with the GTP S2000. We can't work out why stiffer would reduce oversteer because generally stiffer rear is considered to promote oversteer. Funnily enough I've never felt my S2000 has too much oversteer anyway, I'm just curious.
Old 11-11-2001, 06:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone else see the black S2000 with the Mugen exhaust and the huge chromey bling blings on the Pacific Hwy in Artarmon?

Don't really know what to say about it except any weight savings in the exhaust were spent on those wheels.
Old 11-11-2001, 07:02 PM

Can you explain what it is you don't like about the rear end, and why stiffening it would help? Is it oversteer?
M8,

I'm not very techie about these things but definitely more oversteer (especially in wet and off camber corners) than MX-5.

My favourite test is to see when a car begins to break coming out of the Cahill expressway onto the Harbour Bridge. Also, a good one is when you put the boot in coming off McLachlan Ave (at Rushcutters Bay) and head under the KingsCross tunnel !

Agree with your comment about stiffer rear generally promoting oversteer but have read many o'seas and local reviews (as per GTP S2000 thread) that have either suggested this change (or done the mods with marked improvements). I definitely think the back seems to "roll" more than front.

Alternatively (maybe showing my naivety here), is it maybe the power delivery associated with the S2000 that can get one in trouble through the curves?!

ps: That black S2000 with the "doof doof" mags that AusS2000 wrote about is often about in the city....sad wheels but nice pipes
Old 11-11-2001, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by suit36
Alternatively (maybe showing my naivety here), is it maybe the power delivery associated with the S2000 that can get one in trouble through the curves?!
I'm sure that in most peoples case this is the problem. Particularly those coming from the FWD side.
Old 11-11-2001, 07:56 PM

That curve coming onto the bridge is a good one. I went round there about 85km/h in second yesterday and the balance was to oversteer slightly. Nothing excessive, nothing sudden.

If the S2000 rolls more in the rear it ought to understeer. I think if it is too soft in any way it is in rebound damping. The only real issue I have with the handling is looseness in the rear over bumps and I think that's the culprit. Whiteline seemed to agree here when they drove my car, and also said a stiffer front bar is the most likely cure for oversteer if you don't like it. Personally, I haven't found that mine oversteers unless I make it. That is, it's totally predictable and doesn't seem to slow the car down, so I rather like the balance. I think you sort of have to get used to entry understeer and exit oversteer with this car. Someone said it's to do with the 50/50 weight distribution but I'm buggered if I know why.

On wet roads the car can oversteer because of the limited slip diff. What happens is that with the power off the diff seems to lock up (relatively low speeds and poor grip means there is insufficient L/R torque to make it slip) which forces the car to go straight ahead. You unconsciously wind on too much lock to deal with the initial understeer. When you get on the power even slightly you can suddenly break traction with the road (tyres already on the limit of grip) and/or unlock the diff, and the rear comes around. It can even sometimes happen at the corner exit without applying power if you tighten your turn radius and the rear tyres can't handle the torque difference. This happened to me yesterday when I came home and didn't realise it had been raining. Came into a well known corner a little too fast and got that exit oversteer. A quick flick of opposite lock and it was all back to normal - all good fun if you're ready for it. Anyone who thinks this is bad should try a solid-axled go kart in the wet on slicks. Now that will improve your skills. I find this a minor handling quirk that I can live with considering it only happens on the tightest of corners in the dry. On the track I really struggled to induce throttle oversteer - the car behaving according to classic theory and pushing under power. As always the trick is to be smooth. Make sure you're cornering on neutral throttle and smoothly accelerate on exit. It's wonderful that we can actually buy a car out of the factory that hasn't been tuned for massive understeer to avoid litigation.
Old 11-11-2001, 08:02 PM

Sounds like the next S2ki drive day should be to Eastern Creek for some laps in the go-karts. Or perhaps some track time in the S's. Any ideas?
Old 11-11-2001, 09:16 PM

Wasn't the HSCC going to do some kart days? I'd be interested anyway. Also, Wakefield has open practice days regularly, but they are usually during the week.
Old 11-11-2001, 09:29 PM

I can make the mid-week ones.

Can you, or will you be too busy re-installing Windows .
Old 11-12-2001, 03:40 AM

Had a full day today so not much time to reply... Aus, Suit thanks for the great drive, it was a struggle to keep pace but it was fun.....Cheers
Old 11-12-2001, 12:51 PM

Im in for Eastern Creek, first time the car will be on the track and for that matter myself, will take plenty of care - hanging out bad, even mid week who else is in

Quick Reply: AUS S2ki Meet (11/11/2001)