Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Can someone with a 3/4 drive in melb pls help me tighten axle nuts?

Old 12-18-2013, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone with a 3/4 drive in melb pls help me tighten axle nuts?

Dear all, I have the loose rear axle nuts issue. I've taken it to a honda dealership, they failed to look at it during my service as usual and instead said they looked at the brakes and fixed something. I took it somewhere else today and they did manage to tighten the nut, but only to the factory position, and they didnt take it off and grease it first. It has been better and clicking less and there is less vibration from the rear passenger side, but i'm sure its not tight enough after reading billman's axle nut thread.

I get one click from the rear passenger side when reversing on an incline, then one click when i go forwards. It will only click once in that direction until i reverse or go forwards again. Its been driving me nuts. If someone in melbourne has a 3/4 drive wrench ( I have a 36mm socket) and can help me grease and re-torque nuts to 180ft lbs, then turn it an extra 60 degrees as per billman's rear axle nuts thread i'd be most appreciative. Happy to pay for your time even.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:57 AM

Hi mate, my friend who's a mechanic fixed mine. I had the exact same issue.
I can ask him but I'm sure he would be happy to sort yours out. It only takes 10 mins.
He's in the western suburbs. Up to u...
Old 12-19-2013, 01:14 PM

Hi Seanix, sure that would be super if you could PM me the details : o )

Originally Posted by Seanix
Hi mate, my friend who's a mechanic fixed mine. I had the exact same issue.
I can ask him but I'm sure he would be happy to sort yours out. It only takes 10 mins.
He's in the western suburbs. Up to u...
Old 12-19-2013, 04:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Vibration from the passenger side? Does it get worse when accelerating around a right hand bend (test with caution)?Might not be your axle nuts.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:54 PM

Hey Aus, it seems to shudder a bit but only under full acceleration load and in the upper rev range. The clicks got worse over the last few weeks and with that the shudder progressed with it. I had a wheel alignment done which did help out, they said the front left wheel was out. It does shudder in a straight line, to the left, and to the right. I had my axle nut tightened the other day a bit which has made it click less, and the shudder is a bit better. I hope the tightened axle nut fixes it, but if not I think i'm gonna have to get my wallet ready. I hope its not a CV joint, a worn hub, wheel bearing or something else.

I did have new coilovers put on a few months back (BC coilover type BR). they were just whacked on and running an awful configuration. On 12 clicks hardness out of 30 its like a plank of wood, and on full soft its bouncy like a trampoline lol. I'm taking them to a suspension place to get the height levelled out, and a weighted balance or something like that.

Originally Posted by AusS2000
Vibration from the passenger side? Does it get worse when accelerating around a right hand bend (test with caution)?Might not be your axle nuts.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:27 PM

Fairly certain its your cv, especially after lowering. This alone is a weighty indication
Old 12-21-2013, 10:28 PM

^swat I was getting at.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:55 PM

sounds like i need to get my wallet ready for the wallet inspector! (honda dealership) lol
Old 12-23-2013, 02:07 PM

NOOOOOOOOO.

Years ago I went to Scott's Honda and told them of my symptoms. The mechanic came for a drive with me and I showed him the issue. At one stage I also mentioned I had aftermarket spark plugs. His diagnosis: spark plugs.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:09 PM

BTW, the way to fix this the first time is to remove and swap CV cups.

Won't work if it has been done before.

Quick Reply: Can someone with a 3/4 drive in melb pls help me tighten axle nuts?