Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

At a Crossroads

Old 11-26-2008, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At a Crossroads

Just looking for some insight here..

With my new wheels soon arriving .. and not one to want to look like im driving an s2000 4x4.. im after some insight what suspension i should be going with. Keeping in mind this is a 100% street car that would only be tracked around 2 - 3 times a year, regularly cruised but sometimes driven hard.

Obviously the first choice is a high quality set of coilovers.. but i dont have that sorta coin. The choices that im faced with at the moment are as follows..

Elisper springs.. around USD$180 + postage..
- cheap, conservative drop, minor handling upgrade.

D2 Racing Coilovers - around the $1000 mark + postage
- cheaper of the coilover selection, history of failures; but newer models showing some better reliablity, good drop, adjustability, better handling, run the chance of breaking.. but also being a good street coilover.

BC racing coilovers - (riley - s2ki) $950USD + postage
- have no idea bout these coilovers.. can only find articles about them on s2ki from some biased reports.. some people love them.. so people think there so so.. dont know what to expect. Good enough price if i can secure good postage, good drop, good handling, no idea bout reliability etc..

Save up for 3 - 5 months and get Bilstein Pss9's and screw saving for a house/get rid of my last bit of debt... but this is the sorta coin i wanna avoid spending on suspension for a street car.. same goes with tein and kw.. there just outta my price range for a street used coilover.

Leave feedback, comments, opinions etc bout what u all think is my best coarse of action for my next purchase.. i kinda trust the aussie feedback.. as the actual cost of getting and using coilovers here in aus is much different to the rest of the s2ki community.

Cheers and peace..

Jeff
Old 11-26-2008, 04:56 PM

save up more cash and get something decent like pss9s, kw , tein, buddyclub

all your choices prob wouldnt improve much on the stock setup
Old 11-26-2008, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with FB - save up and get proper aftermarket coilovers. If you want to modify your S2000, do it properly; at least match the quality and tolerance levels of the stock components.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:13 PM

im in the same boat as u fellas.. the only reason for the post is i dont wanna be driving around like a 4x4 with for some months..

long as 18's with dish wont prop me up too much?
Old 11-26-2008, 05:27 PM

why dont you just get some springs for now?
Old 11-26-2008, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Looony,Nov 27 2008, 12:13 PM
im in the same boat as u fellas.. the only reason for the post is i dont wanna be driving around like a 4x4 with for some months..

long as 18's with dish wont prop me up too much?
oh yes it will , heres my ride before it was lowered on 18's .

another option you got is to compress the stock springs.
My mrs S2000 had the stock springs compressed and the car drives really well .
You can fork out to about $500 for a set of aftermarket springs and the quality is no where near as good as the OEM springs .

Old 11-26-2008, 05:38 PM

ouch.. no offence vuey.. but thats exactly what i wanna avoid looking like.. almost makes me wanna roll around on my stockers till i get suspension for it..
Old 11-26-2008, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So long as they are of the same rolling diameter as stock, you should be right. Of course, larger wheels might give the illusion that you are sitting higher. Just sit on the stock setup until you can get all the right bits at once.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Looony,Nov 27 2008, 12:38 PM
ouch.. no offence vuey.. but thats exactly what i wanna avoid looking like.. almost makes me wanna roll around on my stockers till i get suspension for it..
ahahah no offence taken bro . I hated the car , i drove around for about a month before i got it lowered . Dont make the same mistake i did and put in cheap arse king springs .... after 2-3months, they started to sagg quiet badley , and total put out the handling .

you can get your springs compressed for relatively cheap ($100-150 IIRC) . To give you the right look until you go for a full blown suspension upgrade.

if you can fit/install them yourselve thats a bonus. Whereabouts you located ? i can recommend a place if your interested.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:58 PM

Gold coast cheif..

Ill ask the suspension place that replaced my pads and rotors about it on saturday (didnt have the power tools to get the discs off myself.. QQ)

Quick Reply: At a Crossroads