Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Help with Aussie race series?

Old 08-03-2004, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Aussie race series?

everybody

I was wondering if anybody knows about racing in Australia. Currently I'm racing here in the "Renault Clio Cup". The season is over soon though, so I'm looking for a series to race over there.

My Clio has 190 HP. It would be nice to drive something similar HPwise

So my question is: Are there any affordable!!! race series in Aus (not Formula tho)?

It would be really cool if someone could help me out on this

Old 08-03-2004, 03:32 PM

Superbabe, long time no see

Im sure that others while chime in with a better response but my first thought would be the MG racing series. Its a class with the newer MG convertibles and looks kinda fun, not too sure why they dont have a roadster class so MX5s and S2000s can join the fun but

How are you going in the Clio Cup?
Old 08-03-2004, 05:29 PM

The closest thing would be the Mitsubishi Mirage series. They are Ralliart prepared and surprisingly fast. I'm not sure if that series will run next year (our seasons run over a calendar year) but if not something will take its place. There's always demand. If you're willing to prepare your own car (rather than arrive and drive type arrangements) there are many, many options for affordable and fun series. Keep in mind that if you end up in a nationwide series like the Mirage one, there will be a lot of travelling involved. Australia is a very big country
Old 08-03-2004, 05:37 PM

I think it would depend on where in Australia you plan to be, or if you are willing to travel. MG series is good but you need to travel interstate a bit. Not 100% sure on the cost but for memory it was about $45,000 per year as you only lease the car. They transport it too and from races and you pay for any damage. They run a similar series for Lotus now but I believe it's around $75,000 a season and that's just the lease only!!!!!

For an affordable series I would look at most of the state series. In Victoria one of the best is the 944 challenge. 944 challenge page

It's run in Victoria with a few races in NSW and SA and talk of a race in Tasmania soon. You can build a good car for $20-25,000 or buy a very competitive car for $30-35,000.

Most states have local series that are quiet good and affordable. I think there is a clubman series in NSW which is also good.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:05 PM

Hi Superbabe, the official organising body is the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport or CAMS for short. You can go to their website at

http://www.cams.com.au

Click on "categories" and then click on 'GTP'

Also have a look at their "Links" section. This will link you to the various car clubs and state organising bodies

one example - http://www.2litress.com

After you've had a look at those you may have some more queries so feel free to come back here again.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:43 PM

My hazy memory says that the "Pickett" racing series has expanded.

They started of with Daewoos didn't they, then the MGFs were introduced as an upper level and now they have Lotus Elises as their top level.

It seems to be a bit "wealthy amateur" where you you just turn up and drive (there is a kitty for crash damage).

Does anyone have a link to a site?

The Porsche 944 series looks very good (quick, regulated and reliable).
Old 08-03-2004, 06:48 PM

my first thought would be the MG racing series.

That's not replaced by Elise series (ie. same thjing, but they drive Lotus Elises). Cost it about A$100k all up for a season which includes all the car maintanance and rpaies. If you thinkthat you can get away with no damage/maintanance then it's about A$60k.

Though, the Mirage series that Naishou suggested will be similar to the CLio Cup and is a fair bit cheaper ... A$40k for a season if I remember correctly.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is also a UTE racing series. Lots of grunt and not too much rear grip.

A good starting point is the calendar on cams.com.au which at least shows you whats racing where so you can dig around further.

If you are looking a affordable club level racing there are about 8 classes. I race in the clubman class ( super 7 replicas).

Speedracer.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:44 AM

Wow thank you everybody! Great help!

I've already gone through some of the links but it looks like quite some of those series race the same time as I do here in Germany.

My Dad's now taking a veeeery close look at them He's my sponsor so he checks the money side too

Travelling is not a problem really. Used to that Besides - travelling through Aussieland is waaaaaaaay better than driving through Germany

Old 08-04-2004, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Austblue,Aug 3 2004, 11:32 PM
Superbabe, long time no see

Im sure that others while chime in with a better response but my first thought would be the MG racing series. Its a class with the newer MG convertibles and looks kinda fun, not too sure why they dont have a roadster class so MX5s and S2000s can join the fun but

How are you going in the Clio Cup?
you

Yeah long time no see! I have to be more active in the Aussie forum - I REALLY NEED AN AUSSIE BADGE

Clio Cup is going really well. It's my first year of racing but it's not looking bad at all Just have to learn to control my temper Going out into the gravel in the last round doesn't help

So how's good ole Aussiland going? Me misses BEACH