Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

New owner with questions

Old 06-20-2005, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner with questions

Hello all,

I've been lurking around here without an S2000 - lots of good people and info here, and it helped me with the decision making. I nearly picked up a 350Z conv but it was beyond me and an S2000 was really what was in my heart! I just picked up a Silver 02 this week. Its awesome (!!) but I have a question.

I find that as I approach the lights, I slow down using brakes and down shifting and then roll a little in neutral. When I then shift to first, I 'feel' a little clunk/thud. Ever feel that? Its quite soft but I am slightly concerned. Of course I never picked this up during my test drive and neither did RACV Let me know if anyone can shed some light on this before I take it back for a checkup.

Thanks.

-Cranium
Old 06-20-2005, 09:36 PM

Hey Dude welcome to the forum...

I think that is normal.. as i got that sound on my car as well.. been driving for the last 2 years and nothing happen.!!

but i am not sure if this is a known problem...

maybe austblue can answer that.!!

Old 06-20-2005, 09:43 PM

Clutch might be dragging a little. Make sure your foot is all the way to the floor. If so try changing clutch fluid.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:05 PM

Try searching around in here ...

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showforum=22

If you don't find something precisely identical to your symptoms, perhaps try this ..

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=299218
Old 06-20-2005, 10:17 PM

Shifting to first when you're still rolling would clunk as you passed the lock out pin would it not?
Old 06-20-2005, 10:33 PM

Don't worry, you will notice the clunk when you depress the clutch and put it in first in one quick motion. To avoid it, depress the clutch, wait a second, and then shift to first. You won't get the clunk from the transmission by doing this. Nothing's going to break if you do but there you go.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by cranium,Jun 21 2005, 03:12 PM
......................I find that as I approach the lights, I slow down using brakes and down shifting and then roll a little in neutral. When I then shift to first, I 'feel' a little clunk/thud. Ever feel that? Its quite soft but I am slightly concerned ................
What is your normal practice with traffic lights?

Do you approach the lights like you described, change into first as you roll up to the stopping point and then hold the clutch in while you wait

OR do you wait at the lights in neutral and then change into first when the lights turn green?

IE - exactly when does the clunk/thud take place?
Old 06-20-2005, 11:04 PM

Thx for the responses, people. It is reassuring but I have to test a little bit more

Red Rover,

Usually approach as described but dont change into first until ready to move again. By this time Im at a stop. But, in these cases, I do wonder if I was slightly rolling already (if on downward slope). Never quite noticed. Lemme check it tonight on the way home.

Thanks.

-Cranium
Old 06-22-2005, 01:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome Cranium I hope you enjoy your S2000
Old 06-22-2005, 03:10 PM

I have tried to reproduce the 'clunk'. Finally got it! As Blackie said, I need to be rolling ever so slightly and then try to shift quickly after clutch. If I take my time, then nothing. Usual driving I dont get it...but there is a street which slopes down a little, thats where I see it. Took me a while to related the two!!

Thanks for the welcomes...Im enjoying my S. Finally took it for an extended drive last night (nice clear moonlight!). Im still a noob so Im taking it easy.

-Cranium

Quick Reply: New owner with questions