Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

New Soft Top

Old 06-12-2011, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok this deserves an update, I've recieved my new soft top with no issues whatsoever. It is booked in to get installed this Tuesday the 14th of June at Gary blackmans in Richmond Melbourne. I went there last week to have a visual of the shop and was impressed when I saw other cars like a old school Rolls Royce and a Porsche boxter, both repairing the soft tops.

I was just wondering if there is anything I should mention or request while they are doing the roof. I am planning on buying new window seals to prevent water leakage and have taken some photos of my roof atm and will post pics of my roof after the install. I will report on service and hopefully if all goes well I can recommend them further onto others here.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:57 AM

Nice, if you don't mind me asking how much are they charging you for labour, and what's the turnaround time?
Old 06-12-2011, 07:29 AM

taxxed did it at gary blackmans quite a few years ago... and well, they forgot to tighten the negative terminal or something for the roof motors so his roof went up in 20 secs.. hahaha... anyway, they fixed it and all is well and i'm sure there wouldn't be a case like that again.

But yeah, just make sure you check the motors run fine and latches all aligned etc.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:56 AM

Charge is $770 for roof install and then an additional fee for auto elec to do wiring for demister I would think he/she would charge $150 or so I'm looking at about $900 to $950 total

I will definitely check all areas of the roof to ensure it's been done properly and will bring up any issues immediately and let u guys know of my experience
Old 06-14-2011, 06:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by YLDS2K
Charge is $770 for roof install and then an additional fee for auto elec to do wiring for demister I would think he/she would charge $150 or so I'm looking at about $900 to $950 total

I will definitely check all areas of the roof to ensure it's been done properly and will bring up any issues immediately and let u guys know of my experience
Hey mate I'm lucky to have found this thread as I'm in exactly the same position.
What type of roof did you get, as in type of material?
I think the stayfast type looks the bomb, but i know they are most expensive.
How much was your top and are you happy with it?
I will get mine done at the same place in Richmond.
Cheers for info! Much appreciated
Old 06-14-2011, 10:36 PM

I just got mine done and I got the stay fast EZ-on tops. Found that was awesome. They even have hard plastic tabs over the parts here you normally get the rubbing on the roof that that'll stop the wearing at those certain points.

It cost me under $500 to get my roof installed in Brisbane. No demister though. Didn't need it since I was already used to not being able to see out of my back window.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:56 AM

I ended up getting the stayfast cloth with the rear defroster because I wanted it to look OEM as possible. I have a mate who has it without the defroster and it just looks like something is missing. I am extremely happy with the roof and its fitment but I must say, I guess it comes down to where you get it done. I took mine to Gary Blackmans in Richmond just off Swan st, and I must say, from the friendly service to the overall job, I am very pleased. Gary is such a gentlemen and I felt really looked after from the moment go. He has a guy by the name of Steve who is equally as nice because when I dropped off the car on Tuesday morning, he ran me through exactly what would take place and I stated that my car had just had a fresh paint and they did they're absolute best to not mark the car whatsoever.

I took photos on my iPhone the day before it went in just after a wash, so I will post these photos in the coming days and I was able to go back during my day on Monday with my car stripped and also took some photos. I noticed that everything was done very neatly and professionally which made me put a lot more trust within they're hands because anyone who knows me personally, knows best that I am very fussy with my car, where I park it, how I wash it etc. I am extremely paranoid about leaving the car at shops but this thought did not even strike me when I dropped off my car. I noticed that surrounding my car was a Rolls Royce a Porsche 911 and boxter and a few other classics bring restored. The only issue we came across was the actual defroster itself. Gary rang me telling me that when I received my roof, I didn’t receive a switch and for the auto elec to supply a Genuine switch would cost %100 + the wiring itself which he quoted me $220. I am going to source an OEM switch myself and return the car in the coming weeks to complete the job. Total installation to date cost me %770 inc GST.

I am sorry if this really starts to sound like a free promotion to him, but I am the type of person who gives credit when credit is due. I can honestly say it has been an absolute pleasure to deal with them and highly recommend him to others who might be looking at doing this upgrade.

Stay posted for the photos which I should have done by Friday.

http://img5.imageshack.us/slideshow/...=img0737lh.jpg
Old 06-20-2011, 03:24 AM

[quote name='do$tylz_v2' timestamp='1308119777' post='20683747']

Hi mate just wonder were in brissy did u get ur roof installed for under $500
Old 06-22-2011, 05:20 PM

Hondacare @ Sumner Park.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey YLDS2K thanks for the pics and the info you're a champ!

I was thinking of purchasing a Robbins Top http://www.robbinsautotopco.com/index.php im just waiting to hear back from a supplier.

I just wish you could select a top you want on a website, pay with your credit card and it's sent over! To easy! But I've been emailing people to find out info which is annoying. I just want the top asap!

I'll definitely go to your Richmond crew to get it put on. It's near my work.

Much appreciate mate! Car looks hot by the way!

Quick Reply: New Soft Top