Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

O/T - Converting music DVD into audio CD

Old 06-22-2005, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O/T - Converting music DVD into audio CD

I just got a live Chemical Brothers DVD, I love it and wanna have it in the car... except I don't want a DVD player in my car Any ideas?
Old 06-22-2005, 05:35 PM

I guess it depends if the audio is on separate tracks to the video, on how easy it would be to do. I haven't had the need to think of doing this.

I know DVDShrink (www.dvdshrink.org) can selected tracks off DVD's. Most DVD's have separate audio tracks ie one for 2 channel, one for 5.1 channel, one for spanish, one for french etc.

I'm not sure how this will allow you to then convert back into normal wav, or mp3 format.

You could always just use a filesharing program to see if somebody else has already done it and download their copies.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:24 PM

It's very likely that the soundtrack on the DVD is Dolby Digital. You can't directly use this on a CD. Even after you have extracted the audio from the DVD, you need to decode, downmix and then resample it. There are bound to be plenty of tools to do this out there on the web, though any free ones are likely to be illegal. I'd do a Google search If the tracks are PCM it might be easier, but again you are likely to have sample rate issues and at the very least need to resample.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:16 PM

I believe that virtualdub is able to carry out that function plus its freeware.

http://www.virtualdub.org/
Old 06-22-2005, 09:29 PM

Virtualdub is an AVI (video) file processor. There's a long way to go to turn a DVD into AVIs before you can get anywhere near Virtualdub, and then it's not the program you want.

You need to:

Extract the AC3 stream(s) from the DVD. The best way is DVD Decrypter using the "Stream Processing" feature. Then you need to decode the AC3 stream and downmix it to 2 channels, and sample rate convert to 44.1kHz. To do this you will need an AC3 decoder. There are no (legal) free ones, because every decoder requires a licence from Dolby, but that won't stop you if you do some searching This will give you a .WAV file that you can just burn to CD. If the audio streams are not AC3 but PCM, then DVD Decypter will extract them directly, and you just need to sample rate convert (always assuming they are just stereo). It is likely that your CD burning software can do this automatically.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:15 PM

Uh-oh....