Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Paint protection - anyone have it on their cars?

Old 01-26-2003, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to announce a new addition to the family - a brand new CR-V will be in the stable next week.

(The really good news is that this has put an end to all that crazy talk about me having to sell the S now we have a baby on the way! )

Just after we struck the deal, the dealer tried to sell us the steak knives - a $2000 'protection' package, which according to them, 'almost everyone buys'. It comes from a company called "Wax Gaurd" and includes 'Paint Guard' and 'Nature Guard' - with the claim that this stuff:

"...Paint gaurds unique composition contains properties which will reduce UV rays penetrating the paintwork , therfore your colour will not fade. Once paint guard is on your vechicle, your only maintenance is to wash and chamois on a regualr basis. Paint guard eliminates the need to wax and polish."

Does anyone have experience with this ? I'd like to know if this will do anything other than lighten my wallet ?
Old 01-26-2003, 08:09 PM

Basically if you are the sort of person who rarely or never polishes your car, then it probably would be worth getting the paint protection as it will look better for much longer than if you didn't.

On the other hand, if you do make the effort to polish the car yourself even a couple of times a year then it is much better to do that rather than have the paint guard.

A friend of mine has used paint protection in the past, and it seemed to me that it looked and worked well for the first year, but after that it is not nearly as good as a car that has been manually polished. Plus, as you say, it lightens your wallet considerably. I reckon you would even be better off going to one of the car wash places and getting them to polish it occasionally (though of course this won't be as good as doing it yourself) rather than relying on some wonderful 'Paint Guard'.

As in many things in life, if it is quick and easy then most likely it will not give as good results as if you make the effort to put in a bit of elbow grease.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:45 AM

Monet
We have the paint protection stuff on our car. We looked at the price at the time and decided that for the protection and not having to polish the car for 6 years it was worth it. To me our time having to polish the car is expensive as well as the cost of polish for 6 years.

The downside - if you have an accident you need to remember that if they repaint any part of the car then you need treatment on that part of the car.

We had it on our last car and owned that for 7 years and the paint looked like new. We have had the S for 2 years and it still beads etc when we wash it.
CDS2K
Old 01-27-2003, 03:17 PM

$2,000 for 'paint protection'.... you've got to be fooking kidding me!!

3 years ago when I bought my red ITR.... my Honda dealer tried to 'on-sell' paint & interior protection (not the same stuff though). I asked the question - "Why do I need this for UV protection, is the Honda paint application not good enough in the first place?!" plus I referred to the interior protection by saying - "Basically you're going to get a can of 'Scotch Guard', spray my interior and charge me $200 - am I correct?!". Both questions left him 'clutching for straws' and needless to say, I had neither of them done!!

The product you mention, stipulates that the car need only be 'regularly' washed & chamoised. But if you do this with any new car from new and don't let dirt, bird sh*t or sap sit on the paint work.... then it to, will keep the paint in great condition. Granted it will need polishing once a year (to restore shine & remove any oxidisation) and waxed every 6 months (to protect the shine).... but I doubt this product justifies it's 'high' price and unless you do the regular washes, it to will fail to protect?!

Even if you only have your car 'detailed' (polished/waxed, interior cleaned, engine etc ) properly (not by some standard car wash place) a couple of times a year and regularly wash/chamois it in between.... you'll still be better off with the results and don't have to fork out 2G's up front.

I had my car mildly cut & polished for only the 2nd time in 3 years (last Monday) by 'Splash & Shine' in Richmond (they do the detailing for the 'Ferrari' service/restoration centre next door) and the paint work looks better, than when Honda presented the car to me PLUS it only cost me $154 for exterior & interior!!

My suggestion is - save the $2,000 on the protection and utilise it for something else on the car (cruise control, alarm, stereo etc) or elswhere in your life!
Old 01-27-2003, 04:16 PM

This system of selling these types of products is very carefully timed to pressure you right at the point when you are most emotionally vulnerable.

If the products really were that good the customers would seek them out themselves afterwards. I'm surprised the motor manufacturers and dealers allow the selling of these products to take place on dealer premises - it certainly raises the question of why are they needed.

I assume the dealers who sell them get a hefty commission for doing so.

To those posters who did take up the paint protection - I'm sorry but you've been conned.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

When I ordered my S they showed me to a room where a sales lady then tried to sell me the paint and interior protection. I explained that as I wouldn't even see the car for 8 months it might be a bit premature to be pressuring me for the 'snake oil' treatment.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:16 PM

Zaino ownz you!!!
Old 01-27-2003, 10:22 PM

I must admit to being a little disappointed with the way the 'protection pack' stuff was handled by the dealer.

In an otherwise very classy operation, they ushered me into a little room under the pretext of giving me a receipt for my deposit then assumed that I had nothing better to do with my time than listen to the guy give me his canned spiel for 15 minutes.

I felt like I was in an episode of the investigators!

The posts from danprice and Aus lead to belive that this is a fairly common practice...Could it be that car dealers are morally questionable ?
Old 01-27-2003, 10:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You can't question their morals, they haven't got any.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the Waxguard treatment from Rick Damelian for my S2K. The PaintGuard and Vinyl/LeatherGuard cost $1000, not $2000. Even so I dont think I would do it again.

I had had the Waxguard treatment on my Commodore when I got it 7 years ago and I have never polished it and I think it kept its looks very well. So I was receptive to the idea for the S2K. And I hate polishing.

Once I got the S2K I washed it weekly, used a chamois to dry it, kept it garaged etc. But as the year went by it got more and more fine scratches. After 10 months I couldn't stand it any more and I went back to the Waxguard guys and asked what to do. I ended up getting the guy from the place to detail my car in his spare time. He buffed and polished it, then he reapplied the NatureGuard treatment and finally he waxed the car. All my scratches are gone and the car looks great. From now on I am going to keep the car polished and waxed. Probably I will take it back to him once every three months and let him do it.

The whole restoration cost $250. A clean, polish and wax every three months should cost $95. I believe my problems arose because: a) I didnt get all of the dirt off with my cleaning; b) I didnt have a protective layer of wax.

By the way, the NatureGuard stuff was just like wax. It could not be worth that much. The only unsual thing was going over the body with a UV lamp to "cure" it, which took all of 5 minutes.

Save the $2000 and let a professional clean and polish your car every three months for 5 years!

Quick Reply: Paint protection - anyone have it on their cars?