Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

What to do with old oil?

Old 11-09-2003, 01:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you mean the oil, yes (it would hurt). Most lawn mowers are two stroke so their lubrication is an oil added to the petrol. You cannot substitute old engine oil.

If you mean the petrol then still yes. I was given an old lawn mower recently and spent a good few hours stripping it down and cleaning up the spark plug and carby before I realised it was just bad fuel. I replaced the fuel and she started first time.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by #69
Old 11-09-2003, 03:03 PM

Most cans are 20L. If it's airtight and there's been no evaporation I don't see how the hydrocarbons themselves could have decayed. They remained in the ground for millions of years before after all. The additives in the fuel may be another matter however and I know nothing about that. You could always burn the stuff. That's what's going to happen if you put it in a car anyway. Get an old paint tin or metal garbage bin, leave it in an open space and flare away. I suppose the recycling centre is an option but I don't know if the oil recycling people would appreciate petrol in their raw materials.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont put oil in a hold in the ground. It will only contaminate the soil. Sure it came out of the ground, several KM underground, not a few inches.

Collect your oil in containers. Some garages dont mind if you pour it into their waste oil tank as they get paid a few $ a litre by oil reprocessors. Eventually it comes back as the cheap and nasty no-names oil you see in Kmart and in service stations for top ups.

Otherwise, your local council waste processing depot will have a waste oil tank. Most councils allow for small quantities of non-commercial waste to be dumped for free by residents who live within the councils territory. The only thing is they normally dont volunteer this information. Ask what you can dump for free as you may find you only need to show a proof of your home address.

Fuel wise, decant any sediment and use it in lawnmowers. Otherwise, mix in 10-25% PULP to spice it up and put it in an old banger.

Speedracer.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:37 PM

Thanks Chris. It's good to have some definitive answers.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:47 PM

Red, you can give your petrol to me - I'll use it in my motorcycle. Bikes don't care what sort of fuel you use.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny with the no-names oil that you see at service stations.

I pumped gas as a holiday job many moons ago. It was one of those last driveway service stations. The owners pushed me to sell the top up oils as they made more money on a 0.5 or 1.0 litre of oil than the fuel. The oil came in drums and was decanted into glass bottles with a screw on funnel.

There were two types of oil, green and yellow. I asked what the difference was and was told one was green, the other yellow. The customers asked me the same question when I offered them oil. After a while it was easier to say one was for 6 and 8 cylinder engines, the other for 4 cylinders.

Speedracer.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:11 PM

My family owned a service station when I was a kid. I remember the glass oil bottles (I remember dropping them too. Very messy) and two colours of oil. I'll have to ask my father what the different weights were.

And it was true that in the bad days of erratic petrol increases (we were shocked when it reached 36
Old 11-09-2003, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by 2kturkey
Red, you can give your petrol to me - I'll use it in my motorcycle. Bikes don't care what sort of fuel you use.
OK, Done!

Send me a PM and we'll work out pick-up arrangements.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:35 PM

Don't want some oil do you?

Quick Reply: What to do with old oil?