Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.
View Poll Results: Pick the winner at the Hockenheimring on Sunday
Sebastian Vettel
20.00%
Lewis Hamilton
40.00%
Kimi Raikkonen
20.00%
Daniel Ricciardo
0%
Valtteri Bottas
0%
Max Verstappen
0%
Nico Hulkenberg
0%
Fernando Alonso
0%
Kevin Magnussen
20.00%
Carlos Sainz Jr.
0%
Esteban Ocon
0%
Sergio Perez
0%
Pierre Gasly
0%
Charles Leclerc
0%
Romain Grosjean
0%
Stoffel Vandoorne
0%
Lance Stroll
0%
Marcus Ericsson
0%
Brendon Hartley
0%
Sergey Sirotkin
0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

2018 FORMULA 1 EMIRATES GROSSER PREIS VON DEUTSCHLAND - 7/20 to 7/22

Old 07-23-2018, 06:29 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,601 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Really enjoyed the race, very few boring parts overall. Felt really bad for Daniel

Very pleased with the podium
Old 07-23-2018, 07:26 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Masterclass by Lewis. Showing that he is worth every penny.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:56 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Really enjoyed the race, very few boring parts overall. Felt really bad for Daniel

Very pleased with the podium
Originally Posted by Nerd-Vol
Masterclass by Lewis. Showing that he is worth every penny.
Had it not been the team order, would Hamilton take 1st place? I thought that was completely bogus on the part of Mercedes.

- Calls Bottas in for new tires during the safety car. (great call)
- Absolutely butchered the pit. (perhaps deliberately so he comes out behind Hamilton?)
- Restart with FRESH Ultra Softs, and then calls him to stay back and hold Kimi back.
- Bottas is a great sport. But I'd go back to the garage and punt every one of the strategist and engineers in their genitals.

As for Ricciardo, yeah that sucked. His tires weren't working for the first 20 laps. And then when they did work, his car with brand new components blew up.

What about Verstappen though? First of all, if the race started 30minutes later, he would have won. We all know what he could do in the rain. And then another botched strategic call to go on the intermediates way before the rain came.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:08 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
Had it not been the team order, would Hamilton take 1st place? I thought that was completely bogus on the part of Mercedes.

- Calls Bottas in for new tires during the safety car. (great call)
- Absolutely butchered the pit. (perhaps deliberately so he comes out behind Hamilton?)
- Restart with FRESH Ultra Softs, and then calls him to stay back and hold Kimi back.
- Bottas is a great sport. But I'd go back to the garage and punt every one of the strategist and engineers in their genitals.

As for Ricciardo, yeah that sucked. His tires weren't working for the first 20 laps. And then when they did work, his car with brand new components blew up.

What about Verstappen though? First of all, if the race started 30minutes later, he would have won. We all know what he could do in the rain. And then another botched strategic call to go on the intermediates way before the rain came.
I think Lewis could have fended off Bottas. 60/40 chance in Bottas favor though if they allowed them to fight.

Your comment about the pit stop is crazy talk. If they botched it on purpose, why did they try to call Lewis in as well? They got caught out, like they did in Austria.

Bottas was a team player on that one. Lewis has done right by Bottas in the past and Bottas took one for the team yesterday. I don’t blame Mercedes one bit for making the call. They were on the cusp of stealing a 1-2. Having watched 2014-2016 the team knows that things can turn sour in a heartbeat.

I do wonder what would have happened if the roles were reversed...
Old 07-23-2018, 10:20 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,601 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Originally Posted by Nerd-Vol

I think Lewis could have fended off Bottas. 60/40 chance in Bottas favor though if they allowed them to fight.

Your comment about the pit stop is crazy talk. If they botched it on purpose, why did they try to call Lewis in as well? They got caught out, like they did in Austria.

Bottas was a team player on that one. Lewis has done right by Bottas in the past and Bottas took one for the team yesterday. I don’t blame Mercedes one bit for making the call. They were on the cusp of stealing a 1-2. Having watched 2014-2016 the team knows that things can turn sour in a heartbeat.

I do wonder what would have happened if the roles were reversed...
I'd say due to various reasons they asked for them to hold positions to ensure they finished with a MB 1-2, and nothing more. If roles were reversed they would've told HAM to hold position as well. If the weather wasn't dodgy and essentially a home race for MB they would've let the 2 race each other just as they have for other races.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:30 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

I’d have liked to see a battle. For sure both drivers would have relished a battle. But the team points drive the $$$$$, and if due to some mishap one or both cars didn’t finish, then it’d be a blow to the team.

The drivers championship is rewarding to us, but the team benefits more from the overall points tally and they have shareholders to answer to as well. So I’ll accept the team orders.