Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Start racing?

Old 12-22-2006, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Join the SCCA Region in your area<--Click for National Website

First Gear Memberships (under 21) are only $45.00 per year.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:34 AM

I find it hard to believe that you don't like racing karts but you'll have enough talent and determination to become a real race car driver. If you are just looking to get a car to do track days and have fun with your friend while you are learning valuable skills to be safe on the road than that is fine you can tell us that. Do you know how Jenson Button injured his ribs a few weeks back....In a Kart! As far as I know all F1 drivers use karts to keep their skills sharp and if you didn't enjoy driving that than a car is going to be boring to you. Before you go out spending your parents money make sure you know it's something you want to do. BTW, how many times have you actually driven a car?
Old 12-24-2006, 04:46 PM

^^ plenty.... i do have a license you know...... (excluding joy rides... :-P)
Old 12-26-2006, 02:21 PM

We've talked about this stuff before...you can pick up a race-ready Spec RX-7 or Miata quite cheaply if you do your research.

I've heard good and bad about racing schools...just expect to spend allot of money in the beginning, throughout the middle and clear to the end! Racing is a VERY expensive hobby unless you can get sponsored, and you'll have to market yourself (read: spend more $$) to get that too!

There are probably a few race shops around where you can get hands-on experience working with the cars and learning from the drivers while shopping for or building your own race car.

Don't forget to pick up plenty of issues of Grassroots Motorsports, they have lots of articles/tips for new racers.

That's my two cent's worth...good luck!
Old 12-28-2006, 11:39 AM

thanks a lot!
Old 12-28-2006, 11:50 AM

i looked for a while for spec RX7's and they are all 1st gens... (abt 1960) is there any good classifieds that would sell spec s2k's?? ALSO If i do get one it would be used to drive to school and back... so street legal but race compatable for right now until i get some extra cash to buy a car souley for racing.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the RX7 came out in 78 or so, but definately not in the 1960's.

I could be wrong but I don't think there is a class called Spec S2k (though I wish there was).

Warren
Old 12-28-2006, 07:05 PM

Cheapest way to start. Spec Miata. To run up front in a quick region or go for a national title your looking at 60-100k for a season including entries, car, parts etc. Then to move up to the Spec Miata Cup your looking at a little more, plus being able to travel coast to coast every other week (most teams had 2 cars stored on each coast to lessen transport costs). Then you can get a paid ride in Speed GT for a little more, pay your way in Trans Am, and after youve spent half a million dollars you may or may not be able to make enough money to do it for a living! Hope you have rich parents!
Old 12-29-2006, 10:27 AM

^^ that i do...
Old 12-30-2006, 05:50 PM

Since your 15 your about 10 years too late to start. My sons are 8 & 5 they have been driving karts since age 4.

Karts are the entry level tools of F1 drivers and most race off season with them.

Go to a real kart school and have a pro see if you have any natural talent for it. Most people think "they can drive or race" most can't. They can go quick for a few corners or one or two laps that's it. Look at my sig phrase from Valetino Rossi it says it all.

Are you a member of the lucky sperm club? If not stick to team /ghetto sports. For my 8 year old he has 2 race karts plus a training kart. This past year I have spent a small fortune for testing- parts-tires-travel-entry fees-misc.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Start racing?