Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Williams Protest on Ferrari and Redbull

Old 03-29-2009, 12:38 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Williams Protest on Ferrari and Redbull

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74033

Good read. Forgot to post this earlier today.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:06 PM

interesting article. Sam Michael's logic is so true. there's no way the cars with the diffusers are being illegal.

i hope briatore grows up and give up his immaturley stupid claims and stop crying about it.

"Q: Flavio, all the other teams saw the innovative diffuser designs of Toyota, Williams and Brawn during testing. Why an uproar here in Australia? Could you not have settled the issue before the season started?
Flavio Briatore: The interpretation of the regulations was very clear in the past - the cars need less downforce for safety reasons. Correct? Every time we build a new car it was to be two to three seconds slower than the previous car. Correct? That was always the intention of the Federation (International d
Old 03-30-2009, 03:53 AM

[QUOTE=suzukablueS2000,Mar 29 2009, 07:06 PM] interesting article. Sam Michael's logic is so true. there's no way the cars with the diffusers are being illegal.

i hope briatore grows up and give up his immaturley stupid claims and stop crying about it.

"Q: Flavio, all the other teams saw the innovative diffuser designs of Toyota, Williams and Brawn during testing. Why an uproar here in Australia? Could you not have settled the issue before the season started?
Flavio Briatore: The interpretation of the regulations was very clear in the past - the cars need less downforce for safety reasons. Correct? Every time we build a new car it was to be two to three seconds slower than the previous car. Correct? That was always the intention of the Federation (International d
Old 03-30-2009, 04:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This whole situation needs to get resolved, and resolved quickly. I think it is just anothe rexample of how poorly F1 is being run. If the rules and regs can not be written clearly enough to get everybody on the same page, then Charlie Whiting and team need to do a better job inspecting and explaining so the teams can get onto an even playing field, whatever that might be.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:55 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 148 Posts

I think this whole diffuser situation is a load of BS. I can understand if only one team interpreted the regs a different way. You could then say that perhaps they were going against the spirit of the rules.

But three teams have interpreted it differently. I think its a case where they were outsmarted by the backmarkers thats causing so much grief for the former front-runners.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:28 AM

What's interesting to know though is this, the FOTA team that created all these new rules and regs was not represented by Brawn, Williams or Toyota. The teams involved had a clear vision of what they were trying to develop, and it sounds to me like they just did a crap job writting up the rules. So when the teams that created the regs saw the unique diffuser shape around the third brake light it was not so much a violation to the rules as an interpretation they had tried to eliminate, but apparently had not developed the rules in a way clearly enough to eliminate this possible execution.

If this is true then I can see why they are upset, I agree the FiA needs to make some kind of ruling, and clearly, the regs needed to be more clear.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:52 AM

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Mar 30 2009, 09:28 AM
The teams involved had a clear vision of what they were trying to develop, and it sounds to me like they just did a crap job writting up the rules.
Have you ever tried writing technical standards?

If they write them in a very defined, detail specific way, the bitch is they are not giving the designers latitude to do their job and it is nothing more than spec racing.
If they leave gray areas they are doing a crappy job writing specs.

I've done technical standards for a living in working groups where the objective is to have everything work together.
This is where everyone truly wants its to work when you put the parts together and people still screw it up.
Remember a spec is NOT a design but is guidance for those doing the design.

Now change that to where there is a competitive advantage to a rules interpretation and you will get different opinions.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by boltonblue,Mar 30 2009, 08:52 AM
Have you ever tried writing technical standards?
I'm not saying it was easy, I'm saying I believe more could have been done to define exactly what the design goals and restrictions were supposed to be.