Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

**2001 NFR TT BUILD**

Old 11-29-2015, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **2001 NFR TT BUILD**

So ill begin with a little background.. Senior year of high school (2011) was the first time i got onto the track. It was with my K swapped EJ1 at Summit Point.

I went to boot camp in September 2012 and when I came home I had to sell the car because i wasn't going to be around.. Fast forward 3 months and i get order to Hawaii. Not a bad duty station for an 18 year old Marine! At this point I'm without a car and I figured ill start a track car build while I'm out here.. and a convertible in Hawaii wouldn't be bad either. Honda + convertible = S2000.

I ended up buying a 2001 in NFR with just under 80k on it.. It needed some work..... It was lowered on Tien super streets with stock ap1 wheel and zero tread on the tires.

The soft top was toast..

But the car ran well and didn't seem to have any mechanical issues. I ended up talking the guy down to a fair price (for what condition it was in) figuring i could bring it back to its glory days!

On the way home I blew out the bald tire in the rear and almost died on the highway.. So i picked up a buddies set of Rotiforms for the time being. Looking back i think those are some of the worst wheels you can put on an S2000.. my bad.

First thing to get replaced was the top. The fenders and bumper were pretty beat up so i picked up an authentic ASM bumper, custom fit front fenders and rear fender flares a couple weeks later as well as a set of Varrstoen wheels. I also installed a Skunk 2 header, T1r test pipe and T1r 70R-EM exhaust. The car got a fresh coat of paint to match everything up. At this point it was looking much better than when i had picked it up and was serving as a good daily.

After my first deployment (2013) i decided it was time to start tearing her down to get ready for the track back home. Over the next couple years i slowly worked on the car but being in Hawaii made it hard for me to justify why i would buy the parts just to have them sit on a car and have something potentially happen to it.

Got rid of the ASM front end, went back to stock fenders and replaced the fender flares with Shine ASM style flares. The interior got gutted and some Sparco Evo 2 seats replaced the stock seats. The Varrstoen's got the boot for a set of WedsSport TC105N wrapped in Ventus Rs3. New wheel bearings and extended wheel studs went on which are the biggest pain in the A$$ for this car btw..

Soo far I've held off on a lot of things i want to do because I'm scared that when i ship the car home from Hawaii something will get screwed up. Once i get it back to Virginia in March of 2016 ill continue work. Suspension will be the main focus as well as body work being tightened up. Im gonna be running in NASA TT so the build will be focused on the time trial rules. So far i think this car has taught me a lot about doing something right the first time and not skimping out when it matters. If i could go back theres a bunch of things id do differently but trial and error is not a bad way to learn. I think the main thing is get out there and have fun with what you have, learn as much as you can and have as much fun at the same time. Looking forward to get back home and start working on my baby!!
Old 12-01-2015, 09:20 PM

Just ordered a Forbidden OEM style hard top.. anybody have experience with quality and installation? wondering if theres anything i should be aware of before i throw it on.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:08 PM

Got the hard top temporarily installed.. the fitment is a little wacky but i think its the rubber seals around it.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like those exhaust. It sounds great.