Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Member since 2005, but S2K parked since 2010

Old 11-03-2017, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Member since 2005, but S2K parked since 2010

Been a long time, getting back to the S2000 just now after parking for since late 2010. I had lightly bruised it at the track, cracked the CT Supercharger bracket when (unrelated) had to have surgery to put a plate in my neck. That recovery and life took me off the track and away from wrenching for a while, but now I’m able to get back to the S2000. Have my new Invidia Q300 dual downstairs with some new calipers and rotors...and I’ll be replacing my Novi 1000 with a 1200. Then off to the body shop for some dent fixes and a new respray - paint was fairly beat up from track days. Redline BMW and Mini will be doing body & paint, I do all the mechanicals. Car won’t go to road courses anymore but auto cross it might.

I also unintentionally acquired a 1977 280z project car a few months ago so that will be getting the strokes treatment and rebuild once the S is done. Looking forward to getting back in the S2K community. I got jump started when I bought my wife a Mini JCW and put some light mods on it, and realized how much I missed having a great manual sports car.

Great forum and good to be back.

IMG_3978.jpg

IMG_4004.jpg

Old 11-04-2017, 05:49 PM

Installed the Invidia Q300 today, pulled off the old exhaust. Good quality construction and great fit. Car will be on jack stands next few weeks, but tomorrow I’m putting the new rotors and calipers on. Ordered the Novi 1200 with 4.5” pulley, not worth a rebuild of Novi 1000 - guess it is garage decoration now. Inspecting my KW V3 and the bumpstops literally crumbled, corrosion has taken a toll. Decided I’m taking them off and going with HKS, likely SP. Replacing the decade+ old brake lines too. Will use this thread as a diary.

invidia Q300

Old 11-08-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 11-11-2017, 03:34 PM

Installed the rear calipers, new lines, rotors and replaced my circa 2007 KW V3 with HKS SP. I’m impressed with quality of the HKS kit, everything is top notch, they have provided everything and to be honest they look to be much improved over my old KWs. Do the fronts tomorrow, first time using my new lift and have to say it makes the work so much quicker and easier.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:08 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Nice car & stable! Any reason why you didn't rebuild the KWs? Also interested in hearing your feedback on the HKS, that's one coil that I had considered (along with the KWs), ended up buying Ohlins though. I want to put a 4 post in my garage as well, there seems to be so much room above your Z, how high is your garage?
Old 11-13-2017, 02:12 AM

Garage is 12’ high. Did not rebuild KWs as wanted to try something different. The KWs - at least this older model - were difficult to adjust damping without screwing up. They were also pretty abrupt on uneven surfaces - and honestly the quality (plastic used everywhere) Led me to to change. By the time I’d rebuilt I would be more than half the price of the HKS. Went back and forth on GT vs SP a bit knowing I like a firm ride and reading reviews the SP is more streetable Than the KW. Time will tell, but fronts and backs + new calipers in. Will torque when down on wheels. May also square up tires. Running staggered 225/255 as thatbwas the wisdom at the time.New Saner End links to replace my old McMaster end links....these are also McMaster.

My junk pile now consists of old exhaust, 4 calipers, rotors, and these KW.

The following users liked this post:
alSpeed2k (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 11:35 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,602 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Moving this to the build section.

Oh, and welcome back
Old 11-18-2017, 05:48 PM

Well, on further consideration I decided to go down the path of engine management. I bit the bullet, and i wanted to be safe AND take advantage of what it has to offer. Decided to go with Science of Speed AEM infinity as it offers the best drivability if tuned right, leverages wiring harness AND stock ECU location(clean), and I can run one gaugeArt CAN gauge where the stereo controls go. Nice piece of kit, and the SoS panel looks to be top quality. I’m keeping the original Comptech AC and air box, but ditching the boost clamp (obviously) and the FPR (stock one goes back).

I never ran any gauges or sensor with the old CT Novi 1000 , just the initial dyno. I’m adding their oil filter base plate and will add oil temp and pressure, as well as fuel pressure (needed with infinity). For $80 added on the TC module, new Walboro 255 to replace old CT pump, and ID1050 plug n play injectors. I’m going for a modest 10 psi with the 4” pulley (for now). With New mounting plate, new Paxton 1200 and all of this I’m pushing $6k with a tune still to go - not peanuts but not bad for essentially a new SC kit + Engine Management + Gauges(s) + Fuel System. Keeping stock CAT for now - was told I could lose power with a high flow cat?

I’m doing no body kit, but still have right rear dent removal and paint to bring the car back to showroom. Have HTG black chrome badges and clear CR sidelight with blue LED to go on after paint. Any recommendations for Ft Lauderdale Palm Beach tuners that know S2000 and Infinity? Still researching paint and body too. The EMS will slow me down but best in long run as I never plan to sell this car and want drivability + some modest power. Going to be a fun holiday season building this out - right now car is down on wheels to settle the suspension before torquing.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

i like them groovy floors man. I can dig it and welcome back
Old 11-27-2017, 09:00 PM

Default Got these in today

The new 1200 on a Comptech bracket and my Berk 70mm HFC. Will be mounting these this weekend as well as new fuel pump, injectors, alternator, and TCT. Sent my Comptech aftercooler our to get JetHot coating, back next week. Then sensors, AEM infinity, SoS heat exchanger and GaugeArt gauge. Then a tune...progress - suspension, tires, brakes done and wrapped up.