Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!
View Poll Results: Matte? Yay or Nay
Keep the Matte Grey Vinyl Wrap
0%
Lose the Wrap and show the Monte Carlo Blue paintwork
100.00%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Monte Carlo Blue AP1 UK Restore

Old 06-12-2014, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monte Carlo Blue AP1 UK Restore

Hi Guys,

I've been on Honda forums since I was about 13 years old, always wanted an S2000 since a kid and decided to buy one now at 19 years old hahaha

Just looking around for S2000's for sale a decided to see this S2000 up for sale on Monday purchased it on Wednesday.

Vehicle is Monte Carlo Blue underneath I believe but could be wrong, and was wrapped nearly 3 years ago in Matt Grey by Totally Dynamics in Surrey. All Honda badges and S2000 badges have been replaced in mimicking vinyl.

Just under 114000 miles, all Honda invoices, MOT's, services, parts receipts all documented.

When I went to see the car...

At home on the driveway just before I had a deep look around the car.

Found all this gunk up in the rear arches

Surface rust on both sides

Common problem of ripped/ moving carpets

Rusted and creaking door hinge which need to be sorted

Mould in the boot under the tool box which all tools were rusted

All wheels previously refurbed, painted in gloss black with red Honda logo's; looking beautiful

Alpine Bluetooth connectivity stereo with AUX and USB audio

Few dings/ dents which I will get sorted out at work, and a crack in the matt grey vinyl

Any comments, DIY's or things to do please list here, I am open to listening on what you think looks good as well.

Will do a routine service at home soon, Plugs, Oils, Filters, bushes and so on.

List of things to buy:
ASIMO G-Force meter
Old 06-12-2014, 07:07 AM

congrats on the purchase, looks like you have some work ahead of you to get it back to 100%.

I would take the vinyl wrap off and see how good the paint underneath is. The rust on the rear quarter panel probably isn't fixable without repainting it, but Monte Carlo blue is an amazing color. I'm not sure if you have any good paintless dent removal guys in your area, but they might be able to fix the little dents.

I'm pretty sure with a steam cleaner and some elbow grease you can get the carpets cleaned up. You might have a leak in the trunk, check the trunk seals, soft top drain tubes, etc
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/465...trunk-picsfix/
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/915...-in-the-trunk/

I know in the states, 02+ s2000's had 2 posts that held the floor mat in place to prevent sliding. Maybe get an 02+ driver carpet & those posts? Same goes for the dead pedal... 02+ had a metal dead pedal, simple little upgrade.

Cleaning up the engine bay won't be too hard. nothing a little cleaner wont do to make it look nearly brand new. Possibly take the valve cover off and repaint it or have it powdercoated
engine bay cleaning how-to
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/278...ur-engine-bay/
Old 06-12-2014, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the above post. I will look in maybe taking the wrap only reason why I don't want to is because it is quite different.

Took the centre console apart and covered the faded chrome plastic with 3m Carbon Fibre wrap. Cleaned all of the gunk inside the centre console, somehow found loads of coins of usual gubbins from buying a used car lol

Fixed the little storage pocket as the flap wouldn't open, took damn nearly an hour to just get the tension on the spring!

Tried to clean the gear knob with my watch cleaning kit haha, ended up looking the same as before the clean. Looks like I'll end with a skunk2 shift knob now...

Ordered red D1 spec lug nuts, hopefully will be fitted soon making these beauties look better and painting calipers red again.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by S200MRJ

Tried to clean the gear knob with my watch cleaning kit haha, ended up looking the same as before the clean. Looks like I'll end with a skunk2 shift knob now...
Forget watch cleaning kits......

Gearknob + drill + sandpaper = this...

(i got rid of the shift patern too but you can keep it just dont go nuts with coarse grit)
Old 06-16-2014, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by miloking
Forget watch cleaning kits......

Gearknob + drill + sandpaper = this...
(i got rid of the shift patern too but you can keep it just dont go nuts with coarse grit)

Thanks dude!!

So managed to clean up the shift knob, and cleaned the headlight plastic with degreaser then plastic cleaner...

Finally, moving on... got to here just as it started raining... So looks like we'll be Monte Carlo Blue again!!!

Old 06-16-2014, 09:10 AM

The blues going to look awesome!
Old 06-16-2014, 09:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

to removing the wrap. Made it look like it was primered.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:15 AM

Slowly getting there lol. I need a heat gun, not hot enough with my mums hairdryer lmao

Bodywork is an average condition underneath, however will need paintwork... Will get the whole front bumper smoothed then attach a custom plate holder afterwards.

The Bonnet lip

Right arch - small stone chip and light scratch (near top left of pic)

Will be sanding the TCT gear soon, rattling sound when the engine was warmed. Hopefully the dremel tool will help defeat the problem
Old 06-16-2014, 12:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't dremel the worm gear in your TCT. Only correct way is to sand blast it.

Also the blue looks way better, shame that the condition isn't that great, but it's nothing that can't be fixed!
Old 06-17-2014, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by DrakeValle
I wouldn't dremel the worm gear in your TCT. Only correct way is to sand blast it.

Also the blue looks way better, shame that the condition isn't that great, but it's nothing that can't be fixed!
Thanks for the heads up. I'll order a sandblaster...

Now unfortunately I have pulled more of the wrap off today, just 3 panels left to being all Monte Carlo Blue and the underneath of the car is in a very bad state. I cannot believe the person that chose to wrap this car didn't have the bodywork at least treated before applying the wrap. Make me so sad to see an S2000 like this. There are a lot more dings and creases that I can now see, and a lot of rust spots all over the car.

I will be treating the rusted boot well now with direct metal to rust paint.

Pics of all the above will follow shortly...

[UPDATE] - Pics of the poor car

I have a lot of work to do, but first the engine! Will get the TCT sorted as soon as the sandblaster arrives. (Thanks DrakeValle), then a routine service updating all fluids, then to the bodywork.

Updates to follow shortly

Quick Reply: Monte Carlo Blue AP1 UK Restore