Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Odb's STR CR

Old 11-06-2014, 05:12 AM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

That's a very nice update and writeup. It really seems you have risen to the next level with your skills and car setup. Some good learning from your experiences. Do think the Eibach bar will be a better compliment for what you're trying to achieve with your spring rates? Is 1100 fairly high for springs? Have you tired AP2 factory base rear sway with your from Sanner?
Old 11-06-2014, 05:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Feezy
Did you have to roll your fenders to run the 9 +63 in the front?

What are your allignment specs?

Edit: I know they "fit" with no modification, I'm just looking for some real world feedback from someone who autocrosses, tracks, and throws the car around.
You need to bend up the top two fender tabs. I've got mine slightly bent up, I can still get the fender clips in the tab, but you can tell its more out of the way, if that makes sense. The tire will still rub the clip and liner just a bit, but not enough to lose any sleep over.
Know that with extreme compression and a lot of lock in the wheel, the tire will catch the fender, even with a 245 tire.

I both track and auto-x my car. I've had 245 and 255 tires on a 17x9 +63.

Note that a lot of this will depend on spring rate, ride height, and alignment. I've run a 255 with everything from stock 06 springs with a Saner front bar, to my current KW Clubsports with a 700# front spring and Ankey Dual Blade front bar.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, Sandeep. I've been fortunate to have some talented people around me to help me out plus all the info here on s2ki.

With the change in spring rates and sway bars, I'm basically just trading bar for spring. I think the total rate in the front is fine as is, I'm trying to balance the car by adjusting the rear to compliment the front. The springs will be stiffer, but we're going softer in the sway bars than most autocross setups. We'll see where we end up when everything is dialed in. While my car is bouncing all over the place with the current valving on the shocks, I've driven and ridden in a car with similar rates and proper valving and the ride was not very harsh when compared to stock.

I haven't tried any other sway bars on the rear so far besides the CR and the Gendron at full soft, but both of those were too much. I think the Gendron on full soft is softer than all the AP2 rear bars, so that only really leaves me with the miata bar as a softer option. The forthcoming Karcepts rear bar would most likely be a good option as well, but I already have a miata bar waiting to go on the car.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:56 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Good to know. Look forward to your next assessment.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:41 PM

Bumping this up for now. I'm going to have this thread moved to the Automotive Builds section of the Gallery forum in a day or two. I hope that those of you who've been following the car's progress and my own will continue to do so over in the other section. I have a few overdue updates and some cool plans for 2015 so stay tuned...
Old 02-20-2015, 02:21 PM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Old 02-20-2015, 04:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesomeness. I'm going to start autocrossing a little bit just to see how embarrassing slow I can be. The car is in no way prepared for AX, but it'll be interesting to learn how to drive fast in a very demanding course.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:37 AM

There are some fast S2000 autocrossers in your area, it should be fun. I've seen you at BW, you'll be able to put up some good times. A good track car is good car to learn with on an autocross course, it's more challenging to keep the power down in transition on a car setup for road course.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:27 PM

I just moved this thread over to the Automotive Builds section since I've found myself in here checking out everyone else's build and this seems like the best place for mine.

Blacktrax Tuned

Towards the end of last season I had my car tuned at Blacktrax. Previously I had done some tuning just around the VTEC crossover to clean things up where I lowered the crossover point. It was just an hour here, an hour there on the dyno at Thunderhill between sessions. Since Blacktrax tuned the car definitely feels like it has more power all around. I had the VTEC crossover at 4000 before and Blacktrax moved it up to 4500. Now the car still feels like it makes more power from 4000-4500, but it's also a bit smoother at the crossover point which makes it easier to hold in a corner when you're right at that point. Here are the charts. Blacktrax started with a stock tune, so the baseline has the stock crossover at 6000rpm.

Solid Line: Blacktrax tuned, CT Engineering Icebox, Berk Header and 73mm HFC, stock CR catback
Dotted Line: stock tune, CT Engineering Icebox, Berk Header and 73mm HFC, stock CR catback

Shocks

My shocks are currently back at FatCat Motorsports getting revalved for the stiffer springs and also getting the latest iteration of FatCat's KBO technology. I should have them ready for a 2-day weekend at Crow's Landing next month for testing before the national tour at Crows in April. More details on that to come.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:05 PM

A long box from 3R Racing showed up today. Any guesses?

Quick Reply: Odb's STR CR