Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Penguin's OEM+ Progress Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 06:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cars looking great! Tasteful.. Also if you don't mind do you know the color that valve cover was done in? Looks pretty close to the J's racing color.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice and simple, always a good thing. That cooling plate looks pretty clean too. I like the ride height that it ended up at too. Pretty low, but not unbearable. Any plans to try a track day? Probably the most fun you can have in you're S. Autocross is fun too, but nothing like a good track day.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

subbed, where did you end up buying your side strakes?
Old 08-03-2017, 05:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by crxswap
Cars looking great! Tasteful.. Also if you don't mind do you know the color that valve cover was done in? Looks pretty close to the J's racing color.
Thank you for the kind words! I'm not sure of the exact color; I actually never saw the color in person before it was done. A buddy in NJ had it powdercoated for me and sent me some pictures of the samples available. It was a risk but I think it turned out great! I've seen the J's Racing cover in person and I think mine is a bit darker and has a bit more green in it.

Originally Posted by WidebodyEK
Nice and simple, always a good thing. That cooling plate looks pretty clean too. I like the ride height that it ended up at too. Pretty low, but not unbearable. Any plans to try a track day? Probably the most fun you can have in you're S. Autocross is fun too, but nothing like a good track day.
Thank you! I haven't had any issues with this ride height, but in all honesty I wish it was about a half-inch higher.

Without a doubt I plan on doing a track day...once I man up and actually bite the bullet I've had a few opportunities that I had to back out of due to work obligations, but I plan on making it happen eventually!

Originally Posted by s2kmac
subbed, where did you end up buying your side strakes?
My local Honda dealership. I get parts at 10% over cost since I work at a dealership owned by the same person
Old 12-10-2017, 09:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Any other updates? Fiancé got me the side strakes for my birthday and was wondering if you drilled a hole or you ended up using 3m molding tape
Old 12-23-2017, 09:23 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kmac
Any other updates? Fiancé got me the side strakes for my birthday and was wondering if you drilled a hole or you ended up using 3m molding tape
I helped him install it, we didnt drill the side hole. Only used the supplied 3M tape and it holds just fine as lone as you're certain its installed in the correct spot and the tape is making contact with the car. Did the same on my car and its been holding great.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:00 AM

Hello all! The car hasn't changed too much since last summer. I added a Moddiction Anvil 2 shift knob and a new shift boot made by a buddy who owns Sweidit in California.

I'm up to about 125k miles, which is 30k miles in a little less than 3 years. This car is a damn blast.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely love how the car looks. Im a big fan of the OEM+ look.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by abalagurak
Absolutely love how the car looks. Im a big fan of the OEM+ look.
Thank you for the kind words! I love seeing the crazy builds but I'm simple when it comes to my cars.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:29 PM

At the end of this month I’ll have had the car for 3 years and I’ve done just over 30k miles. It’s not my daily driver but I drive it as much as possible; miles tend to add up quick since going to work is 73-miles round-trip.

Last month I asked a local S2000 buddy to assist with a valve adjustment. I wasn’t sure if my valves were out of spec, but I figured it might be a good idea considering how much driving I do. We got the valve cover off and found that two of my spark plug tube seals had ruptured and both tubes were half-full of oil. I don’t know how the hell I didn’t have a misfire or CEL; I felt like the car had been running fine.

Doing this made my anxiety through the roof

Needless to say I bought new four new plug seals, four new plugs, and a new valve cover gasket. The car does feel a bit more responsive…well, as much as a torque-less Honda can feel

I also did the Modifry sidemarker modification, where now the sidemarkers illuminate when the parking lights/headlights are on. I’m honestly not a huge fan of the sidemarkers on the S2000 in general, but I feel like now they serve more of a purpose :tomato:

As for little stuff, I ordered a new battery tie down as the paint on my original one was starting to peel and looked like crap. I also ordered a new sticker for my fuse box cover as the original was deteriorating, which drove me crazy.

Before everything I’ve mentioned in this post, a coworker took some pictures of my car for me. I’ve had no desire to get out my DSLR, and he’s better at pictures anyways

I have a set of fancy extended floormats on the way and I’m hoping to place another Sweidit order for a new armrest and e-brake boot to match the shift boot.

As always, I’ll be sticking with doing little stuff here and there. Of course I would love a set of Advans or a supercharger, but baby stuff isn’t cheap I’ll do new speakers and maybe have the front bumper repainted eventually.