Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

S2000 street driven TT car build

Old 11-15-2018, 12:28 PM

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by stooga
Would an OEM lip help at all with understeer? Also, are OEM add-ons like lips allowed in TT5? It's unclear from my understanding of the TT5 rules, but I'd think it would fit under the Update/Backdate rule.
OEM lip is not allowed as it is not a base model trim item.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:24 AM

Last weekend was the last race at Summit. This was a very cold event and cars where flying off the track left and right shortening and reducing the amount of runs we had available. Saturday we didn't get a single good session and they ended up cancelling the last session due to the extensive clean up required every session. I had the fasted time and won that day in a class of 7. It was going to be freezing temps over night so we all parked our cars on jack stands and kept the Hoosiers somewhere warm. We arrived to a 20 degree morning on Sunday. I didn't know what to do with tire strategy but I decided Sunday could be like Saturday in that we wouldn't get any good sessions so I decided to bolt on my best tires and go all out despite the 25 degree temps. I drove very hard on the warm up lap to get heat in the tires. By the 3rd lap the car was sticking wonderfully and I able to do a 1:20.8 at Summit which was good enough for 1st as well as the TT5 lap record there.

The ghetto front airdam proved to be effective and showed a 2.5mph gain on the data by the end of the main straight. It also passed the butt dyno and really helped balanced the car out. I'll be ripping it off and building a nicer version over the winter. I ended the season with 12 out of 13 wins so it was a great run for me. Next year the car will be coming back faster and better then before with a few small changes to keep me competitive.

Next years goal is to win the NASA Nationals at Mid-Ohio raceway. I'll be racing in 3 NASA regions and refining the car to get me to that point.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:44 AM

I started "winterizing" the car and getting ready to tear it apart and do a bunch of maintenance and upgrades over the winter. First thing first is to strip it of all the wax and good stuff with some Dawn soap. The car getting paint corrected and detailed every winter so this is always step one. I also washed all the wheel extensively so I can store them inside over the winter to preserve the Hoosiers. I also cleaned up the garage, stored all my equipment I bring to the track, and degreased the floor since I plan on spending alot of time on it in the winter.

My to do list over the winter includes:

New hubs/bearings (bi annually)
New suspension (annual). I don't rebuild because I can get new suspension with my contingency so it's not worth doing so.
New bushings
Remove A/C
Change offset ball joints to offset bushings. This will allow around 50lbs to be removed since the bushings take no points hit in the rules like the ball joints do
Remove the passenger seat
Install a cool suit system
New windshield. Small imperfections and chips are impairing my visibility in the right lighting conditions
Change rear hardtop window. It is currently a tinted screen which I am changing to clear.
All fluids changed. Oil, diff, trans, brake master, clutch. I use Amsoil for everything. Brakes and clutch get Castrol SRF.
Remove cat and install test pipe. I have a high flow cat currently. I want to remove it because it can be a potential failure component.
Remove the air pump. This reduces weight and simplifies the engine bay
Possibly change my catch can. My current one works well but I don't like the lines crossing over the engine bay.
Touch up roll bar. It gets beat up climbing in and out of the car.
Possibly change to a 2d wing
Redyno car.
Build a prettier airdam setup
Build an under stray that reaches back to the centerline of the front axle.

While only the airdam and suspension will improve the performance of the car, it is critical to keep everything fresh and safe as possible. I want to simplify the car as much as possible and remove as many potential failure components as I can. I have a busy schedule next year and not alot of time to fix things if they break in between events. I'll try to keep this thread updated as much as possible but am exploring other avenues for car updates since it seems that s2ki is rapidly dieting off

W

The following users liked this post:
Bullwings (01-04-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Great thread! Just spent the morning reading.
Couple quick questions-
1. How long do the R7 225 Last before you feel they have lost enough grip that you want to replace them?
2. What does the car weigh without driver? What do you think you could get it down to with NO carbon body parts?
Old 01-03-2019, 11:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Love the car man! Let me know if you wants to sell the tc105n. I was about to buy the new tc105x but they are darker than I would like.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:16 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Sickdayracing
My to do list over the winter includes:

New suspension (annual). I don't rebuild because I can get new suspension with my contingency so it's not worth doing so.
New bushings
New suspension every year? that's awesome. AST-5200s or 4150s (i don't see those listed)? Custom valved or off the shelf?

What bushings are you going with? Hardened rubber or poly?
Old 01-07-2019, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bullwings
New suspension every year? that's awesome. AST-5200s or 4150s (i don't see those listed)? Custom valved or off the shelf?

What bushings are you going with? Hardened rubber or poly?
Lots going on with the car at the moment and I'll get around to posting some pics. I went with spherical bushings.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:41 AM

Been very busy over the winter. All new alignment bolts, sway bars, backing plates brake ducting, hubs, bearings, air dam, TCT, spherical bushings and a whole bunch of more misc stuff! After 2 years on track, it was time to refresh a lot of stuff. Nothing was broken (other then the compliance bushing) but I change things way in advance before they ever become a problem.

The following users liked this post:
Bullwings (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 09:05 AM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Nice. I spy what looks like MCS stamped on a shock.

Originally Posted by Sickdayracing
Been very busy over the winter. All new alignment bolts, sway bars, backing plates brake ducting, hubs, bearings, air dam, TCT, spherical bushings and a whole bunch of more misc stuff! After 2 years on track, it was time to refresh a lot of stuff. Nothing was broken (other then the compliance bushing) but I change things way in advance before they ever become a problem.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:40 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Why did you keep the full splash guard rather than just enough to mount the brake duct?

Quick Reply: S2000 street driven TT car build